Lock Haven University Professor Dr. Robert Myer's Marcellus Info

M

Missy

Hi! I know it's been a while...been keeping busy at work. Just came across this and thought it was a great resource, worth taking a look at! Heard that the Jam was a great time! Saw some "interesting" pictures too...you know who you are! :lol:

http://www.lhup.edu/rmyers3/marcellus.htm

but Missy, we're all gonna be rich!

thanks for the article, I'll read the entire thing when I get a chance.

About what I would expect from an anti drilling English professor from a state run school. A collection of some very old data that has been documented ad nauseam in every newspaper, anti drilling website and on DEP's own web site over the past 8 years.
A large portion of those violations are written in "legal speak" so that DEP attorneys can justify the fines they are asking for. You see more adverse affects from truck crashes over a years time.

I was worried I would be the first to respond to Missy. ;-)

Looks like the Prof has documented his sources. Where are yours?

Gudgeonville wrote:
.. You see more adverse affects from truck crashes over a years time.

I was worried I would be the first to respond to Missy. ;-)

I doubt this statement. Apathy is not a stance. GG

He has outdated sources from DEP's web sites, most are broken links, I worked both with DEP and industry on some of these cases and the ones that I am aware of he gives his opinion on. Many of his sources are newspaper articles or from Gasland the fictional movie made by Josh Fox. This website is his opinion, not the facts.

Here is one of his links.....

COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA
Dept. of Environmental Protection
Commonwealth News Bureau
Room 308, Main Capitol Building
Harrisburg PA., 17120

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
02/1/2010

Daniel Spadoni, DEP Northcentral Regional Office
570-327-3659

DEP Fines Fortuna Energy Inc. $3,500 for Well Drilling Violations in Bradford County

WILLIAMSPORT -- The Department of Environmental Protection has fined Fortuna Energy Inc. of Horseheads, N.Y., $3,500 for violations discovered last year at three of the company’s natural gas wells in Troy Township, Bradford County.

“During routine inspections, DEP staff found minor reporting deficiencies, but also more serious violations that were quickly addressed by the company,” said DEP Northcentral Regional Director Robert Yowell.

An inspection in February 2009 at the Cease 1H well discovered that the proper ownership information, including the well permit number, operator’s name, address and telephone number, had not been publicly posted by Fortuna as required by Pennsylvania’s Oil and Gas Act.

[color=CC0000]This is not a violation, only the permit number at the time of this inspection was required on the well site.[/color]

During a follow up inspection in June at three natural gas wells drilled on the same pad in Troy Township, flow-back fluids—or the fluids that are used to break up underground rock and then return to the surface—were found discharging into a drainage ditch, an adjacent sediment basin, and eventually through a vegetated area into an unnamed tributary of the south branch of Sugar Creek. These discharges violated Pennsylvania’s Clean Streams Law, Solid Waste Management Act, and DEP’s oil and gas regulations.

The company promptly placed a pump into the sediment basin to pump the fluids back into tanks and hired a consultant to conduct appropriate sampling.

The discharge did not cause a fish kill in the unnamed tributary and DEP samples taken in June found the conductivity, pH, salinity and total dissolved solid levels in that waterway to be within acceptable levels.

[color=CC0000]How could this be a violation if the above parameters are within acceptable levels?[/color]

Just one of many contradictions on his site.

I see you're a geologist. Well, as long as you don;t have stake in this, huh?

A slap on the wrist from a gov agency run by, uh, someone from the gas industry, apointed by a governor that was bought by the gas industry. Can you see just a little bit of the doubt that some of us have with this entire thing?

If I roll through a stop sign it is a violation and if a get ticketed I should pay and maybe I will be more careful next time. Did I hurt anything? Not this time, but you never know about next time, so I should be more careful.

BTW, if the sampling was done after the fact then how can you show there was no violation? If there were adverse levels of anything, they have already been diluted or traveled down stream.

I frankly don't have time or interest to check every little detail on how DEP or any other regulator does their job. I just expect to be protected. Besides, it's not like DEP has been a thorn in the side of this industry.

@ BikerFish, Yes, I'm calling up Wealth Management to help me with my sudden windfall of money. @Tom, Thank you! I'll keep my eyes open to see if I can find anything else that may be of interest. Can only hope that the gas industry crashes and/or is replaced by some other cheap source of energy... It can happen (markets are so fickle)!

@missy, It is a very fickle industry, but you are looking at one of the cleanest fuels available, (nuclear is cleaner but thats another demonized industry to argue about on another day)
This country cannot run off of wind or solar energy and clean energy will always be needed.
This industry is cyclical and will be down again. Look at our price of natural gas! It's almost to low to still be profitable to drill.
It's a shame that a lot of the jobs will go with it.

But none of us are benefiting by get low priced fuel for our homes, a promise of the industry. And none of us are employed in the gas industry, another promise of the industry. And we certainly don't all have leases and are not getting rich, plus most if not all of the gas is sold on the open market at the highest price bid, and is being exported to other countries. Where is the benefit to citizens of the Commonwealth?
Our forests are being torn up, there are more road in wild areas when the roads should be restored to natural woodlands, and our streams are at a very high risk, from being de-watered and polluted.
Where is the benefit to citizens of the Commonwealth?
And who pays for the mess you leave behind? At the very least you should be paying a severence fee that will pay for the clean-up, restore the pad sites when you leave, oh what's that you're not leaving because there's more gas even deeper? These are all questions that have to be answered before more wells are drilled.

We should be getting some people from France, Quebec, China, and Russia to talk about nuclear power generation to the people of our state. Go around the globe, look at every country who wants to produce megawatts with nuclear(not megatons).

China pushes the envelope with fast neutron reactors attaching to the grid, building as fast as they can. Gates talking to China about fourth gen reactors. Russia working with China (????) on nuclear power. South America trying to save the rainforest with nuclear power instead of fracking it up.

But, the country that has such rich nuclear history, well, we have fracked gas. Pathetic. Look at all the pretty little wind turbines we'll load balance this gas with. It's so green and pretty they say.

It's not, and it requires a ton of energy to produce those turbines, and they are intermittent, and they still get destroyed in high wind.

There has always been a very concentrated effort to stifle nuclear power in this country(not referring to environmentalists who think they are fighting the good fight), as recently as Yucca mountain, and now Gasmerica: Frack for Freedom.

When Japan got hit(with old reactors), the gas industry cheered, because now they had a new boogie man, a new Chernobyl.

We need new reactors, they are much better than gas/wind/solar at this point in time. We are going to need to desalinate water, and we do not want to do that with gas.

Chaz wrote:
But none of us are benefiting by get low priced fuel for our homes, a promise of the industry. And none of us are employed in the gas industry, another promise of the industry. And we certainly don't all have leases and are not getting rich, plus most if not all of the gas is sold on the open market at the highest price bid, and is being exported to other countries. Where is the benefit to citizens of the Commonwealth?
Our forests are being torn up, there are more road in wild areas when the roads should be restored to natural woodlands, and our streams are at a very high risk, from being de-watered and polluted.
Where is the benefit to citizens of the Commonwealth?
And who pays for the mess you leave behind? At the very least you should be paying a severence fee that will pay for the clean-up, restore the pad sites when you leave, oh what's that you're not leaving because there's more gas even deeper? These are all questions that have to be answered before more wells are drilled.

Looks comparatively cheaper to me.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=oil-versus-natural-gas-home-heating

wow franklin you're a genius. You figured out that domestic natural gas is cheaper than refined 100/barrel crude from the middle east. Thanks for clearing that up,

I think he was referring to past vs present natural gas prices. Lower, yes. Significantly lower price deliver to homes by the gas companies, no.

But feel free to answer more than just his first claim is the above post.

Back