Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS


Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »


Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2010/6/26 11:19
From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Posts: 7236
Offline
Quote:

jayL wrote:
Billions? Seriously?

Sorry becker, but the bucket biology is getting ridiculous IMO. I'm with rhinestone jerry on this one.



You might reconsider. I did not say a billion in the first year of the program. I just said Billions, meaning over many years. I forget the exact #, but they say a healthy fisherie brings 1 million dollars for every mile of resources. If thats true, how many miles long are the Lehigh and Delaware and tribs? Think that will add up to a billion pretty fast, no?

Don't be so quick to say I am wrong just because it's me

Posted on: 2011/2/8 9:24
_________________
"Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast!"

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/



Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2007/1/2 11:55
From Bozeman
Posts: 19931
Offline
I assumed you were wrong because you provided no supporting information, for what it's worth. You still haven't provided any.

And regardless, what price can we put on existing populations of fish that would be displaced? What about the brook trout streams that enter these waterways? They'd surely become steelhead spawning beds. Do we really want to open pandora's box?

Posted on: 2011/2/8 9:33


Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2007/4/25 10:02
Posts: 5874
Offline
For those that have fished both- just curiuos, is the Lehigh similar do the Yough? I dont know a thing about the Lehigh but from the limited bits I gather it sounds similar to the Yough.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 9:41
_________________
I flyfish because I enjoy it.


Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2010/6/26 11:19
From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Posts: 7236
Offline
Quote:

jayL wrote:
I assumed you were wrong because you provided no supporting information, for what it's worth. You still haven't provided any.

And regardless, what price can we put on existing populations of fish that would be displaced? What about the brook trout streams that enter these waterways? They'd surely become steelhead spawning beds. Do we really want to open pandora's box?


Jay, I understand what you are saying about the brookies and I personally do not know that answer such as I am only a bucket biologist. These are great questions that i would love to understand as well.


Here is a link to what Idaho coalitions are saying the return of Salmon and Steel to the Snake River basin would bring in annually. I am just guessing that the Lehigh, Delaware is larger.

http://www.hydroreform.org/news/2005/ ... annually-to-state-economy

Posted on: 2011/2/8 9:53
_________________
"Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast!"

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/



Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2010/6/26 11:19
From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Posts: 7236
Offline
Quote:

acristickid wrote:
For those that have fished both- just curiuos, is the Lehigh similar do the Yough? I dont know a thing about the Lehigh but from the limited bits I gather it sounds similar to the Yough.


It's funny that you brought this up, because I always wondered the same thing about the Yough. I am also looking for this answer.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 9:56
_________________
"Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast!"

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/



Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2007/1/2 11:55
From Bozeman
Posts: 19931
Offline
The snake river is in idaho. The ocean is far from idaho. I'll take a guess that you're wrong, but choose not to do research.

But all that aside, it's apples and oranges because those species are native to that drainage.

Sorry man, but I am rooting against this, and I will be joining other anglers in fighting it tooth and nail if you guys try to do it.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 9:58


Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2007/4/8 20:43
From SEPA
Posts: 11426
Offline
Quote:

LRSABecker wrote:
Yea, I mean I know I would not want any of these fish in the Lehigh and Delaware system, because they would not bring billions of dollars into the economies of the towns up and down the rivers.


Pfft.

And no, I wouldn't. Period. Full stop.

These creatures DO NOT BELONG in this water. They are alien invaders. While I'm fully aware two of the finest sporting fish around are also completely alien invaders (the brown trout and the smallmouth bass), they've managed to nicely find their niche, adapt and thrive. However, if we moved our discussion back 250 years ago, I'd be making the same damned argument then, too.

We do not need to drop more creatures that don't belong in these water ways because some jackhole wants to go fishin' for them once a year.

Hell, some guy thought raising Asian Carp in a backyard pond to bring himself a taste of the olde country was a good idea too until they started to overrun the waterways of north IL, too.

All this mucking abotu moving animals around the world is a bad idea. Its foolish to think that mankind's short sightedness can fix the wonderful ways in which life has evolved to fill a specific niche in a given enviroment. If there were to be steelhead trout in the Lehigh and Delaware river, they'd be there.

There are not. Was there even a population of sea run brook trout in those rivers, when brook trout could thrive in them? Is there even history that salmonoids or char did an ocean run from the Lehigh or Delaware river, ever?

Instead, people are crying about how the striped bass, returning to their ancestral homewaters, might eat "the trout" in the fscking Delaware! WAH! Who the motherloving cares! Your trout do not belong there, and your sprot fishery can take a leap for all that it matters in the grand scheme of things. Embrace and enjoy the return of biodiversity to the world in which you walk, rather than cry about the fact that your invasive species are being eaten by the real inhabitants.

I want to see the dams come out, and I want to see your silly steelhead idea fail. Drive to the Great Lakes. THey want your billions of dollars.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 9:59
_________________
April 8, 2007 - December 4, 2011.
And why not?


Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2007/4/8 20:43
From SEPA
Posts: 11426
Offline
Quote:

The Lehigh Valley: a natural and environmental history
In centuries past the Lehigh River served as a spawning ground for American Shad, alewives, and other sea-run species..."


No mention of salmon, trout, or char there. I find it odd to believe that if the Lehigh hosted a salmon run it wouldn't be mentioned instead of "other sea-run species," as they're kind of a big deal.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 10:09
_________________
April 8, 2007 - December 4, 2011.
And why not?


Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2010/6/26 11:19
From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Posts: 7236
Offline
I do not know Gfen why you are attacking me, as I stated before, I am not the one personally behind this and I am not the one that believe this will work. I am just stating what I have been told by people that know more then me. I will back it though if it proves to be true, just because of the financial windfall it could bring.

Were salmon and steel present in Erie, Ontario, or did they start stocking them? Don't here people complaining now do I? I would also guess that those tribs held brook trout as well?

Posted on: 2011/2/8 10:13
_________________
"Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast!"

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/



Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2007/1/2 11:55
From Bozeman
Posts: 19931
Offline
The establishment of the fisheries in erie and ontario is already done. The damage can't really be reversed.

You can't compare the relatively closed ecosystems of the great lakes and tribs to that of the delaware watershed and bay. It doesn't make any sense.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 10:17


Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2010/6/26 11:19
From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Posts: 7236
Offline
Quote:

jayL wrote:
The snake river is in idaho. The ocean is far from idaho. I'll take a guess that you're wrong, but choose not to do research.

.



Not wrong, just read the stupid article.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 10:17
_________________
"Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast!"

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/



Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2007/1/2 11:55
From Bozeman
Posts: 19931
Offline
No time. I'm going to start sketching the wireframes out for a few websites to fight this campaign of idiocy, should it come to fruition.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 10:20


Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2010/6/26 11:19
From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Posts: 7236
Offline
Quote:

jayL wrote:
The establishment of the fisheries in erie and ontario is already done. The damage can't really be reversed.

You can't compare the relatively closed ecosystems of the great lakes and tribs to that of the delaware watershed and bay. It doesn't make any sense.


What damage? I think 95 out of 100 people would say they are happy those species were introduced there.

Closed ecosystem? Uhhhm that is not a closed ecosystem. Just because they are lakes and Very large ones at that, does not mean they are closed. Think of all the tribs that run into the lake and where those tribs run into other tribs and rivers.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 10:20
_________________
"Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast!"

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/



Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2007/1/2 11:55
From Bozeman
Posts: 19931
Offline
I said "relatively closed", and compared to the delaware bay watershed, it wasn't a stretch.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 10:22


Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

Joined:
2010/6/26 11:19
From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Posts: 7236
Offline
Quote:

jayL wrote:
No time. I'm going to start sketching the wireframes out for a few websites to fight this campaign of idiocy, should it come to fruition.



Hey while your at it and being such a strong advocate for eco systems, maybe you should start some websites that help fight Marcellus Shale and all the power plants on the susky that are ruining the SM bass fishery. imo

Posted on: 2011/2/8 10:22
_________________
"Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast!"

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/




« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »



You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]





Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment





Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com