Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Isn't that special...

From Johnstown, PA
from my research , without a doubt evaporation is the safest method of getting rid of it , a potable evaporation device is already in the works "the frackinator" mounts on a big rig trailer and can be moved from site to site. What is left after evaporation is minimal and could be contained similar to landfill waste. The inventors name is Mike Kaufman , not the one on here , i asked.

Posted on: 2011/1/5 18:08

From harlansburg
we can put the waste into tea bags and sell it to gas company execs as our own PA blend!!

Posted on: 2011/1/5 19:08

From Bozeman
for pcray

Don't forget to hover it for alt-text.

Posted on: 2011/1/5 19:12

I work in the construction business in SEPA and was talking to a friend at Aqua Pa/ Aqua America and they have a subsidiary that is in the waste treatment end of the water business and he said that they are working a putting plants in place to handle the new "frack water business". Hopefully some new plants could help.

Pcray - some nice info. I don't believe anyone really wants this to turn into an enviromental tragedy. My outrage is in the special treatment the industry has gotten. The permit process was speeded up with virtually no review of the site plans and the County Conservation District was told that they were not allowed to inpect the soil and erosion controls(this may have changed). In 25 years of managing construction sites I was never allowed to disturb the site until my soil&erosion controls were inpspected and signed off by the CCD agent. It is all about oversight and regulation. I know that the drilling can't be stopped and it shouldn't be, but our water supply and enviroment needs to be protected since it is under increased pressure every year. I just have a sinking feeling that this is going to end badly. And boy do I hope I am wrong. I will glady eat some humble pie and wash it down with a glass of frack water!!!

Posted on: 2011/1/5 19:55

Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
By the way, found a list of treatment facilities, listed by region. This lists both current and proposed sites.

http://www.marcellus-shale.us/pdf/PA-Wastewater-Plants.pdf

Lists the owner, recieving stream, flow, county, GPS coords, municipality, type, status, and facility designation.

Type, I don't really understand. Major types are IW, POTW, direct discharge, CWT. IW = Injection well. Direct discharge is self explanatory. CWT = chemical waste treatment. Anyone know what POTW or OTW stands for?

Status lists the good info. Facility Designation is the easier way to sort it:

MSW = takes Marcellus waste
O&G = takes oil and gas waste other than Marcellus (old shallow wells), but not Marcellus waste.

A P before either means its not operating yet.

POTW means publicly owned treatment plant = municipal sewage plant.

How much "treatment" of brines, frack chemicals, etc. do you think really occurs running through a facility designed to break down sewage?

It's dilution, not treatment.

They are dumping it in the streams and rivers. Which is the point of the article.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 15:37

From Pittsburgh
And then there's your Total Dissolved Solids, not good to drink but the trihalomethanes are even worse...

"The wastewater often contains bromide, which reacts with the chlorine used to purify drinking water. That creates trihalomethanes.

The EPA says people who drink water with elevated levels of trihalomethanes for many years have an increased risk of cancer and could also develop liver, kidney or central nervous system problems." - Pennlive.com 01/04/2011

Official announcement for those getting drinking water from the Mon.

http://www.amwater.com/files/PA%20-%2 ... 20-%20December%202009.pdf

(The Mon has many issues, but it WAS starting to get better.)

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitts ... /pittsburgh/s_699963.html

(another link related to above)

Posted on: 2011/1/25 17:49

From LV
The problem is even treated it isn't drinkable the treatment pants are not able to remove most of the contaminants.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 18:07

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com