Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 16 »

Re: Improving Wild Trout Angling in PA

From WV
No lol. Personally I'm smart enough to know what is ethical and not ethical and I know what a spawning bed looks like. Why would I want to pass up fishing my favorite streams?

About 4 years ago I went brookie fishing (which is a rarity for me) but I was to late and they were in spawn mode. You know what I did? I took some awesome videos of them doing their dance and went to a large tailwater later to fish. Why do I need you to tell me what to I can and can't do? I have a wife already.

The joy of catching 12 inch stocked rainbows is like getting an erection in public. It's useless, unethical lol, a waste of precious resources and when you get home there is nothing to show for, no sense of accomplishment.

Posted on: 9/11 19:48

From Ephrata, PA
Good for you. You're smart enough/ethical enough to not do it. Many aren't...

What about a closed season on streams where temps get borderline in the summer? Say from July 1 to Aug. 31? (No I'm not proposing TWO closed seasons). I think the tricky part with that is that for those of us who don't stand around thermal refuges finessing trout on 7x, we do often fish those streams for species such as smallmouth or carp.

Posted on: 9/11 20:06

From WV
I think closing water b/c it's to warm or fish are stacked is perfectly fine. The chances of you killing a fish is drastically higher during that period than fall/winter/early spring. I had to list those three seasons b/c that was the original proposal - shutting it down for portions of three seasons. That's why I said it was so crazy.

It sounds semi-hypocritical for me to support a summer closure based on emergency closures and not protect them during the spawns, I understand that but that spawn closure would have to be a couple weeks to a month at most. Shutting it down from late fall to early spring is where I would draw the line.

Posted on: 9/11 20:12

I'm from NY and do all of my trout fishing in pa from Jan until 4/1 (with the exception of the w branch and main stem). Even though i fish when the season should be closed (imo), I think it's better for the resource to have a closed season. I don't practice what I preach, but I should. Fwiw i either fish streamers or dry dropper all winter so Im not dredging nymphs through schools of trout sitting on the bottom of spring seeps - I'm targeting feeding fish. It's common sense that protecting wild fish during the spawn and the eggs during incubation will help the proliferation of wild trout. I kind of like the reg they have during the off-season in the fly zones of the salmon river which is floating line only and no added weight to the leader.

I do not steelhead fish after January because a.) I don't enjoy fishing for black steelhead and b.) I don't target spawning fish no matter what species they are. When I fish for lake run fish I want fish that have been in the river for days, not months.

Posted on: 9/11 20:17

From PA
Do we really wanna encourage more people to fish for wild trout?? Maybe I'm greedy but I hope less people fish for them haha. Take up bass fishing

Posted on: 9/11 20:25

From Nowheresville, PA
"Do we really wanna encourage more people to fish for wild trout??"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO. But most on this site will disagree. They have some idea that all the popularization of fishing for wild trout will create this army of stream protectors and conservation minded friends of streams and fish. Crazy, unrealistic if you ask me. i suspect many have been sold a bill of goods by tackle manufacturers and fly shops etc....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted on: 9/11 21:06

1. Support the PFBC's need for a license increase as well as finding a new, no-strings-attached, dependable funding stream so that they can continue to do the exceptional work they currently do for wild trout.

2. The PFBC should do everything in its power, and more if possible, to corral and stop gill lice before it becomes the "Chronic Wasting Disease" of our wild trout.

3. Reach out to our education system and have them teach kids that fishing is something you can do for the rest of your life while organized team sports typically end for almost everyone at the end of high school, if not before.

Posted on: 9/11 21:16

From New Jersey
I too like to fish all year but how can anyone argue after seeing the success of the upper Delaware watershed? Obviously the Oct - March closure has something to do with the quality of that wild trout fishery.

Posted on: 9/11 21:19

From PA
Why is it obvious? How does everyone explain the amazing wild trout opportunities PA offers even though fisherman are allowed to fish all year. There is absolutely zero scientific basis for limiting fishing during the spawn. Negative angler impact on that process is a complete myth.

Posted on: 9/11 21:33

Spawning success is seldom limited by the abundance of adult trout.

Posted on: 9/11 21:49

From Burke VA
Quote:

krayfish2 wrote:
Ok, if you won't subscribe to closing and entire stream for 6 months and are fine with the one month closure.... would you accept spawning areas / tribs be closed to fishing until 4/1?

Ryan asked for an example in PA. There are none because PFBC doesn't manage that way. NY State does on the Delaware. You have almost 90 of trout water. All of it in NY shuts down. Only the PA border waters are open to fishing. So, it leaves about 33+ miles of the Delaware and all the BK (minus the special regs area) closed to angling. This allows mid river spawn and feeder spawns undisturbed. Guessing that only 10 miles of water provides fish for that entire system. It does work.

What's wrong with stockers over the winter? Plenty of places to fish for them. I'm talking the best of the best streams based on potential. Remember when spring used to have more than 6 fish over 10"?

Kray, I was thinking more of a stream in PA that you think would be helped by a closure, hypothetically. I guess I'm thinking of the streams I frequent where populations are high but size is low. I don't think a closure would have any good impact on such streams. I don't think it's a one size fits all where such a regulation would be imposed state wide. Off the top of my head I can't come up with any stream I feel would be greatly improved. However, I defintely could be convinced with some some evidence that stream quality would improve. I think water and weather conditions play a much bigger part in the spawn than fisherman. Just my dapinion.

Posted on: 9/11 23:21

The Esopus in NY....filled with wild bows. You can nymph up 50-100 fish a day if you are handy at nymphing. That river closes during the spawn. Neversink in NY filled with wild transient browns and bows.....closes over winter through the spawn. Beaverkill section at Horton....known thermal refuge where fish congregate to make it through the summer months. Closes July 1 no matter how good the temps might be and reopens on September 1. Again, hoards of wild fish.

This isn't a discussion about what YOU deserve to do or what your license $$ give you the right to do....it's about how to promote better fisheries for wild trout and how to protect them to reach their potential.

No offense Mike but firing in that post was of little to no value. I don't recall anyone stating that giant adult fish were needed for successful spawns. Favorable conditions and suitable habitat are probably bigger factors than the size of the fish involved in the spawning.

When the tread "Improving wild steelhead angling in PA" is started, then bringing steelhead into the conversation will be relevant. Until that point, it's just a redirection tactic.

Zak, fixed that post for ya...
Quote:
There is absolutely zero scientific basis for not limiting fishing during the spawn. Negative angler impact on that process is a complete myth according to some and I have no data to support my position.

Posted on: 9/11 23:38

From Burke VA
So every wild trout stream in PA?

Posted on: 9/11 23:52

No sir. You'd have to have all of PFBC data to make the call on what gets closed or what stays open.

What is nothing short of amazing is the thread was asking for things to help improve wild trout fishing in PA. Options to protect / enhance wild trout fishing are provided but those ideas might inconvenience some......so that idea is no good, insane or whatever someone wants to label it. Isn't doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result the definition of insanity? LOL. I'm sure that I could dig up countless and high quality wild trout streams (in other states) where they close them to fishing during the spawn or for months at a time. If I'm not mistaken, Montana will close streams when the temperature becomes too warm to fish. Just another thing that we should consider on many streams in this state.

Posted on: 9/12 0:00

Edited by krayfish2 on 2017/9/12 0:15:54

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

moon1284 wrote:
1.) Close streams during spawning season - around 10/15 to 4/1
2.) End stocking on Class As
3.) Reduce limits on non-stocked waters to 1 trout between 14 and 18 inches

honorable mention - have catch and release limits (i.e. you can catch and release up to 50 trout per day then you must stop fishing). Not sure how you could enforce this, but NB has a catch and release limit for Atlantic Salmon

Couple things.

First I do not think anglers use during the "spawning period" can be linked directly to any issue with wild trout populations. Spring Creek gets trampled to death day in and day out all year and is still loaded with trout. If a critical spawning area or trib can be identified, then maybe a closure makes sense but only in a limited manner. Closing entire streams is not going to be popular and I don't think it's justified except as a gesture of "having to try something."

As for ending stocking on Class A's. well i think everyone is behind that, but as has been pointed out before, the amount of Class A water being stocked in relatively small albeit some very prominent streams are on that list. We need to stop stocking Class B's and I also think we need to stop stocking a lot of the little trickles in the NC region regardless of class.

Lastly, I would not want to see a slot limit of 14"-18" fish for wild trout streams. On most of our streams a wild trout larger than 14" would be among the largest. Here's a link to a PAFBC survey of Spring Creek:
2000 Spring Creek Survey The number of trout over 14" is miniscule compared to the hundreds of fish of smaller size. If you are going to go for a slot limit make it 9"-12" or something, but leave the 15"-18" alone.

Posted on: 9/12 1:22

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 16 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com