IMPORTANT Restoration Information

C

crs5942

Please watch the video at this link if you are concerned or involved with floodplain/stream channel restoration in the Mid-Atlantic Piedmont. There has been a lot of research and a lot of new findings since this video was created. Bottom line: the way we restore streams in the Mid-Atlantic Piedmont and other geological regions does not return the stream to a naturally functioning system (key word naturally). The fundamental principles of regional floodplain restoration are currently being re-written. Please watch this video and share it with all TU members and restoration groups that you know. FYI the video is referring to Piedmont streams; however, the Legacy sediment problem is also present in the Ridge & Valley and the Plateaus. One great example of Legacy sediment is the famed Penn's Creek. I hope you enjoy.

Link:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1564606793285256916&hl=en

Another video and article published in NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/science/24stream.html?pagewanted=2&ref=science

im suprised no one had a comment for these videos. Great stuff crs! I knew about it already but enjoyed the video. The main section featured in the video is closed to fishing. That is where they stocked i think 10,000 figerling brown trout or so. Im not sure if it will ever be open to fishing but im really curious on the survival rates of those fish. I hope they start breeding. I was walking the riparian park the other day. Its amazing how much work they have done on this stream.

im sorry it was 1,500 fingerling brown trout....
here is the link:

wild trout

The fingerlings have spread out quite a bit over the past few years. About six months after they were released I was catching them a 1/4 mile upstream and over a mile downstream. I also know that a fair number are still present at the restoration site reach. I haven't noticed many clipped fins this past year; however, I haven't fished the stream much at all. The water temperatures have also been slightly cooler downstream since the restoration was completed; however, TU only has a few years of data and only time will tell if the restoration was truly significant in lowering the temperatures downstream. Thanks for the comments Sal. I hope that everyone is watching these videos.

Back