Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Hoses in creeks

From Lansdale
I was having a very frustrating time this morning on a local creek. Not a sunnie, bluegill or rock bass to be seen. I kept working my way upstream and I noticed a hose dropping own the bank. I climbed up and found a hose attached to a stake with a coupler on the inlet end. This was o private property, but being 7AM Sunday, no one was around. I got back in the creek and headed upstream where I began to catch big rock bass, large sunnies and a couple of beautiful smallmouth in the 10-12 inch range.
I'm convinced the hose is for backwashing a pool, putting chlorine in the stream and killing whatever biomass WOULD BE downstream.
What are your thoughts,? I think I need to call the DCNR.

Posted on: 2012/9/2 20:18

Re: Hoses in creeks
From Dallastown, PA
Nope, call the PF&BC and The DEP to investigate.

Posted on: 2012/9/2 20:47

From Greensburg, PA
my guess its for drawing water. Mo's suggestion would clear it up either way.

Posted on: 2012/9/3 16:33

From Lansdale
I emailed PFBC. We'll see what happens.

Posted on: 2012/9/3 18:08

From South Lebanon Township, PA
I've seen hoses like that in two different streams. Both appeared to just be for drawing water. Ironically in both cases they were for small cabins on state forest land, although several counties apart. They didn't seem to really be doing any harm as the fishing was more or less the same both above and below the hoses. My guess is this happens quite a bit in the backwoods of PA. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to draw water like that, but I didn't report either case...can anyone verify that?

Your case may be very different however...neither of these cabins had a pool on their property!

Posted on: 2012/9/3 19:43

From Lancaster County
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
I've seen hoses like that in two different streams. Both appeared to just be for drawing water. Ironically in both cases they were for small cabins on state forest land, although several counties apart. They didn't seem to really be doing any harm as the fishing was more or less the same both above and below the hoses. My guess is this happens quite a bit in the backwoods of PA. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to draw water like that, but I didn't report either case...can anyone verify that?

Your case may be very different however...neither of these cabins had a pool on their property!

Does anyone know what are the regs for withdrawing water from streams, particularly CWF rated streams? At least half a dozen times this year, I've passed a stream with a truck or van and trailer pulled along side it, with about six to eight plastic drums. There's a guy standing there, presumably filling the drums with water from the stream (or perhaps he's filling the stream with something from the drums?)..

Posted on: 2012/9/3 21:08

From Lansdale
Reported. CWO will check it out.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 11:44

From Lansdale
WCO called last night while he was arriving at the location. They're not messing around. He says they
ll keep me posted.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 5:08

From SE PA
Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:

Does anyone know what are the regs for withdrawing water from streams, particularly CWF rated streams? At least half a dozen times this year, I've passed a stream with a truck or van and trailer pulled along side it, with about six to eight plastic drums. There's a guy standing there, presumably filling the drums with water from the stream (or perhaps he's filling the stream with something from the drums?)..

From what I can find it appears you can withdraw up to 10,000 gal a day without a permit.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 11:49

10,000 gallons?!? you could fill a typical above ground pool with that volume. Sheesh, talk about the inefficiency/ignorance of some laws.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 22:45

10,000 gal per day is only .015 cubic feet per second of stream flow. This would be a minor withdrawal on most Pa streams relative to average daily flow.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 22:56

From Lansdale
Thanks, Mike.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 6:00

Certainly, it seems almost negligible when you perform the calculation over 24 hours(like a hose for a cabin would), but removing 1336.89 cubic feet of water from a stream in an hour or two for commercial purposes is the scenario i was talking about.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 21:18

From Other side of the tracks
10,000 seems like a lot, but is it?.

For reference purposes. My 27' round above ground pool holds about 1700 gallons. I filled it in probably about 24 hours from my well using a garden hose.

Elapsed time was closer to day and a half, but the hose was off at night.

OK, for awhile I was using two garden hoses ... until the well went dry. But for most of the time is was one standard garden hose.

One more thing to think about. The water that you drink, bathe with, flush the toilet with, or otherwise consume, where does it come from?

For most of us, it is taken from public waters only to be returned later as a warm water discharge. For those of us with wells, our water is simply taken before it reaches the public waters. But for those of us with working septic systems, we put most of it back.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 7:55

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

pwk5017 wrote:
Certainly, it seems almost negligible when you perform the calculation over 24 hours(like a hose for a cabin would), but removing 1336.89 cubic feet of water from a stream in an hour or two for commercial purposes is the scenario i was talking about.

Truth is, most pools (vast majority) are filled from public water systems which have permits to draw WAY more than that.

See previous.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 7:58

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com