Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Holy gas wells Batman!!

From New Cumberland
Yes, the Forced Pooling legislation that is being pushed through (with lots of lobbying money, i'm sure) allows the gas companies that have 75% of the leases signed to force it upon the other 25%--hmmm...eminent domain for private purposes.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 9:50

From harlansburg
unconstitutional in my mind. eminent domain is not meant for private profit.
they want to do that? then how about they share their profits with EVERYONE! every citizen of this state gets a royalty check. it happens in alaska.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Permanent_Fund

Posted on: 2011/8/7 11:27

From Pittsburgh, PA
Gudgeonville, I don't find that the members of this group are naive in any sense. I know that they are a dedicated group of fly-fishing men (and women) who are smart, funny as hell, who were giving the industry the benefit of the doubt when this all started to happen, but who are growing dismayed and concerned over the obviously out-of-touch views of the gas drilling industry that does not understand what PA represents. We like our farms. We like our forests and parks. We would like them to stay farms, forests, and parks. That is why PA invested so much time and money into preserving, restoring, and acquiring land to pass this treasure to our families. And I don't think the analogy of the pig farm is good in any sense. At least pig droppings are natural and the stink...well I think most of us would rather live next to a pig farm than a well pad, reservoir, or compressor station any day. Pig farms do not use chemicals that contain endocrine disruptors, carcinogenics, neurotoxins, mutagenics, and diesel fuel. Aesthetics? You don't understand this state or it's people (or their children). While I appreciate your attempt to express the fact that you don't like destroying a view, I think you fall short of understanding what your work is really doing-or you just don't care. If I didn't like my job, I'd get a new one. Drilling will not keep families together. Drilling will not keep neighbors together. PA is more than some driller's paycheck. It is our home. Where will you fish when the streams aren't fishable any more? What state?

Posted on: 2011/8/7 20:00

From SWPA
Quote:

Missy wrote:
Gudgeonville, I don't find that the members of this group are naive in any sense. I know that they are a dedicated group of fly-fishing men (and women) who are smart, funny as hell, who were giving the industry the benefit of the doubt when this all started to happen, but who are growing dismayed and concerned over the obviously out-of-touch views of the gas drilling industry that does not understand what PA represents. We like our farms. We like our forests and parks. We would like them to stay farms, forests, and parks. That is why PA invested so much time and money into preserving, restoring, and acquiring land to pass this treasure to our families. And I don't think the analogy of the pig farm is good in any sense. At least pig droppings are natural and the stink...well I think most of us would rather live next to a pig farm than a well pad, reservoir, or compressor station any day. Pig farms do not use chemicals that contain endocrine disruptors, carcinogenics, neurotoxins, mutagenics, and diesel fuel. Aesthetics? You don't understand this state or it's people (or their children). While I appreciate your attempt to express the fact that you don't like destroying a view, I think you fall short of understanding what your work is really doing-or you just don't care. If I didn't like my job, I'd get a new one. Drilling will not keep families together. Drilling will not keep neighbors together. PA is more than some driller's paycheck. It is our home. Where will you fish when the streams aren't fishable any more? What state?

Your scare tactics are the same being used by the anti drilling groups throughout PA. I will not say that if you drink any chemical straight for days on end that you will not get cancer or die, but, you are wrong about the dilluted chemicals causing death and illness due to this industry. You have many of those same chemicals under your kitchen sink and never worried about them before.

You sound like the brainwashed young coeds from the University of Pitt that are so much a part of the "Earth First" mentality involved here.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 5:21

From North Central PA
I live in a very quiet historical residental neighborhood in Towanda. Many victorian homes built in the late 1860's with most yards being .25 an acre. The gasmen came around and started signing leases on these small parcels of yards. I asked why they would want these small yards. I was told this:

We can't put a well here, since wells have to be more than 2,000 feet from any exsisting structure. HOWEVER, we will be sinking wells 2 miles away on the hilltops surrounding Towanda. We will need to dig pipelines through this neighborhood to transport the gas to the RR line near town. We might have to put a pipeline through "neighborhoods" to facilitate the transporting of gas. This is why we buy up any and all leases that we can regardless of residental areas. Plus (and this is the part that made me chuckle) if we buy out Mr and Mrs "John Q. Sixpack" here in town for a $1,000 bucks... they are happy for the quick cash and we made a friend who supports the gas workers!

So the gas companies are just buying "neighborhood" leases to appease the residents living in town who don't own 20K acres to lease... so in essence its just PR? Throwing some $$ to the locals?

Posted on: 2011/8/9 9:09

From SE PA
Quote:

Gudgeonville wrote:

Your scare tactics are the same being used by the anti drilling groups throughout PA. I will not say that if you drink any chemical straight for days on end that you will not get cancer or die, but, you are wrong about the dilluted chemicals causing death and illness due to this industry. You have many of those same chemicals under your kitchen sink and never worried about them before.

And we all flush those chemicals down the drain for the next town downstream to drink in a diluted form.

Most people think the natural water and air are free of "polluting" molecules. They fail to understand that nature is dilution. It's not a question of if, it's a question of the concentration.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 10:45

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
shell is putting the pressure on here. i chased 2 of them off of my land so far. No lease here.........been carrying now...

Posted on: 2011/8/9 12:21

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From North Central PA
Shell?? Wow... I thought Chessie and Chief locked up your area of Tioga there Bob! Did you see the well head on Rte 6 in Sullivan Twp? Pretty soon it will be nothing but a small pipe sticking out of the ground.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 15:21

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
shell bought out east resources, and have been pushing land owners. I say BOYCOTT SHELL PRODUCTS NOW !

Posted on: 2011/8/9 15:33

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From wellsboro
Shell bought all of East Resources holdings in our area, it was a lot. Actually over by Sandfly seneca and ultra are more active than chesapeake or Chief. Shell had the lease on my property prior to me buying it.

There are well pads around me in three different directions, they are currently drilling on one. Fortunately, the only real issue, for now, is the pick up traffic which is idiots driving way too fast. Our road is not really suitable for the heavy rig traffic, it took them a few tries to realize that, but it sunk in. seismic will likely begin this winter the way things are moving, i will have a receiver line thru my yard, but that is it.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 15:39

From Pittsburgh, PA
Define diluted... it's not a scare tactic. Such a large volume of water is used in fracking the Marcellus (and even more franking the Utica) that even a small percentage of toxins in the water isn't really so small...and what about the reservoirs filled w/ that wonderful waste water? And when you spill a container of frack fluid or contaminated mud, as was done in the Black Moshannon, well... I really don't think you can call that good for anyone (or the environment, but you don't like that word). Really, how can you be on a website and have no concern for the streams? You don't need to answer that. It's a rhetorical question.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 18:24

From harlansburg
Quote:
So the gas companies are just buying "neighborhood" leases to appease the residents living in town who don't own 20K acres to lease... so in essence its just PR? Throwing some $$ to the locals?

I've always been leery of those that must buy their friends.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 21:02

From Pittsburgh
Just out of curiosity, gudeonville...Why have you not posted any fly fishing related posts yet on a fly fishing site....

Posted on: 2011/8/9 21:28

From lancaster county
Quote:

Gudgeonville blabbered like a gas industry commercial:

Complete and total crap. Yes, I have chemicals for cleaning under my kitchen sink. I also don't drink them. I have baby proofed the entire house in fear my daughter might get into dangerous chemicals. Don't tell me sir, that I have never worried about such things. To even say such a thing shows how out of touch you are with PA residents and how far up the industries tail pipe you truly are. I'll make you a bet, I bet none of my Mr. Clean floor wax, Draino or Pledge end up in my water supply at industry levels, but I bet fracking fluid does. You are trying to compare a 250mL bottle of house cleaner to millions of gallons of undisclosed fracking chemicals. Just stop it already. I guess you are going to tell me now the entire Mr. Yuck campaign was a waste of time.

If you are so confident that the diluted chemicals from this industry do not cause illness or death, come to a jam, bring some and drink it.

I have been reading your posts now for a few weeks and I still don't know what you are tying to accomplish. Preaching to conservation minded sportsman, TU members and others alike will not work. Are you trying to help us sleep better at night or are you trying to help yourself sleep at night?
You decide.

David,
The answer to your question is obvious.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 0:34

Edited by salvelinusfontinalis on 2011/8/10 0:58:08
Edited by salvelinusfontinalis on 2011/8/10 1:19:57

From North Central PA
"David,
The answer to your question is obvious."

You talkin' to me? Sorry, I don't have a keen eye for the obvious.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 8:02

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com