Helicopter on wild life refuge?

Jessed

Jessed

I spend a lot of time in New Jersey in the pines over the summer because I watch my aunts house while she's away( not a problem.. It's surrounded by water) and the house was recently bought next door. The only problem is over the bank of the canal of the right side of her house is a really nice pond that I often fish. The problem is they want to land a helicopter on it. There is a small sign saying some like " New Jersey wildlife refuge" and says no fishing without permission ( which I have). Also there is a herrin nest in the trees by there and that would definitely disturb it's nest. How do you think I should go about this ? I mean they own it but it be ashame if that was damaged. It's the only body of water there that's not cedar water from the pine barrens. It even has carp in it! What do you think I should do?

Who is "they"? Any idea why someone wants to land a helo on the pond?

The people who bought the house and they own a helicopter company and don't have enough land to land a helicopter on so there gonna land it on the pond

who owns the pond?

Im pretty sure they do. There's a mill in between both houses from late 1700s and not really sure if anyone owns that. And I'm pretty sure that pond was used to feed the mill.

So, they wanna use their own pond.

Yeah but on a wild life refuge?

if they own the pond Id say they are more than allowed to do whatever they want on it, including landing a helocopter.

If it's private land, chances are good it's not an official wildlife refuge, those are actually federal land or state land.

Yep. Most likely it is "near" a wildlife refuge.

That said, it is possible. "Wildlife refuge" may not be the right term in this case, but it isn't unusual for private land to have conservation easements.

This is basically an agreement to never develop the land, and that easement stays attached to the deed in perpetuity. The landowner can sell, but the new owner would be held to the same development restrictions. In doing so, since the possibility of development is forever removed, it lowers the value of the property. The amount it is lowered is considered a donation by the landowner and tax deductible as such. Further, property taxes are lowered due to the lower land value. And estate taxes are lowered as well so the land can be passed onto another generation.

The severity of the restrictions varies greatly. The most common situation is a farm. And usually it states that the farmer can continue to farm the land, build farming related structures as needed, etc. But he can't, for instance, lot it off for a housing project. But in other cases it could be prime forestland that the landowner doesn't want to develop because of good hunting or fishing, and the easement may say nothing at all can be done with it.

So if this is an easement, you'd have to get ahold of the details of the restrictions to see whether the landowner is in the right to land a helicopter on a pond.

Back