Gulf

osprey

osprey

I know this is a Pa fly fishing website but was just wondering what you all have either experienced or heard new about the oil spill situation in the gulf , i DID google it alot and checked out you tube but there are a lot of polarized opinions on this. Just wondered what you all thought or heard?

Not much new.

My understanding:

There are still some tarballs turning up, and many of the marshes still have oil and dying vegetation. While the bulk of the oil is gone via natural and manmade methods, the small percentage that remains still represents a sizable amount, and is still doing damage.

did a lot of research and it seems there are large amounts in plumes under the surface and the dispersant , corexit , nasty , showing up in blood tests.

Here in Sarasota no oil has washed up or has been spotted even close by.

Don't have any doubt there is still large amounts still under the surface though- hopefully it will continue to breakdown. Personally, I thought there would be worse damage-especially if a hurricane pushed it inland with a storm surge.

Not real big seafood eater but probably would try to avoid gulf seafood.

The dispersents largely did their job, breaking it up into small droplets so the oil eating microbes can do their job much more quickly. Also controlled burns and skimming picked up an awful lot of oil.

Whats left is the stuff they missed with those methods, that sank or got to the marshes before they could get to it. And even if thats a small % of the total, it still represents an awful lot of oil.

The dispersents certainly aren't good, but I think they're far better than the alternative. The dispersents should be broken down by now in the water, but I do believe some constituents bioaccumulate, so anything consumed would still show up in blood tests. The toxicity is far lower than oil, though.

One of the substances that is showing up in blood tests is benzene , i'm not sure if that's a by-product of the oil or part of the dispersant , corexit. They are set up right on the docks to test all catches of seafood , more than one agency is doing testing too. From what i read they haven't found any contaminated seafood but they have large sections of the fishing grounds closed.

Before i forget i want to mention Kevin Costner and his work with developing and donating the device he helped in getting approved for spill clean up , at last check BP has requested 30 some of these machines and it sounds like they work great.

Before i forget i want to mention Kevin Costner and his work with developing and donating the device he helped in getting approved for spill clean up , at last check BP has requested 30 some of these machines and it sounds like they work great.

and yet all the media likes to bash us with are lindsey lohans problems. I don't think they like to talk about people doing good things.

don't want to derail, just sayin!

I continue to hear conflicting reports. I think the only way to judge will be wait a couple years and see how the sport and commercial fishing is doing.

Conflicting reports is an understatement , i've never seen such polarized opinions and positions on an issue , ever. They range the whole way from it will be ok to it's a Planet killer. bikerfish.......the mainstream media doesn't even mention the spill anymore. These are the same folks who are drilling in our back yard.

how about the alaska pipeline, BP runs it and it is in bad shape. What is being done there ? Maybe Sarah will do something for HER Alaska..LOL

Sandfly........I live right next to a Texas Eastern pipeline , lived here all my life. I'm 54 so is the pipe , at least that old , how long will steel last buried in the ground? bikerfish.......you're not derailin , you're right on the same page , the media didn't say much at all about this , and anything as of late you won't hear on the NEWS.

Start building conestoga wagons and be ready for the rush.
If there is any place to drill ANWR is it-poor musk ox.

How would you like to commute in that baby every morning?
Oh,They caused ruts which caused the great dust bowl of the 30s,which created climate change and even worse,fornicated the left coast.
BAN THEM-

Just kidding Mike-its 31 here this am.something happening to the weather.

One of my best friends is down there right now pete , in Coco Beach , Orlando area , he called cryin about the rain and cold , i asked how cold 52 jeeeeeeeeziz 52 here would melt something.

how long will steel last buried in the ground?

Depends on the type. 1000's of varieties of steel. We certainly make pipeline steels that, from a corrosion standpoint, will likely last longer than humans will (hundreds of thousands of years). Of course, I'm not saying they spent the money to use such steels. Also, aside from corrosion, you have geological shifting which can cause failure over time.

Pete, I was always taught the dust bowl was more due to poor farming practices, but I'm certainly not knowledgable of such things.

just demonstrating how we can leap to erroneous conclusions.
However there were places where they did cause huge gullies.

actually the dust bowl started way back when the plains indins heh used to burn of great areas of the plains to get fresh growth to attract the bison herds , the Russians are going to beat us to the oil in the ANWR , cause we're sissies i guess , i read that there are two Saudi Arabias worth of natural gas in PA......drill baby drill? or buy a conestoga wagon , they're made in PA LOL .....seriously pete how is the oil situation down there? sm straight poop?

I am on the right coast-Art is the lefty-
I saw buffalo jumps-of course there was the inevitable big mouth type claiming her husband said the Indians' didn't really use them- it was all a big lie-I wanted to push her off.

Back