Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Gag Order Imposed on Children

From Johnstown, PA
In this area of PA you CAN'T buy the Mineral Rights with most residential property.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 10:16

From Other side of the tracks
Likely only because someone else besides the land seller actually owns the mineral rights. I'll bet that farm next to your cabin owns the mineral rights under that land.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 10:29

Here is the problem Osprey. These people bought 10 acres of undeveloped land tight in the middle of a planned drill sight (among other things). Whether they knew was was coming or not is debatable. If they didn't know, then their options were to sue the people who sold them the land to get their money back, or sue the oil company, ... or both. If they knew about it, then their only option was to sue the oil company.

The previous owners offered to buy the land back. Did you miss that part?

Sounds to me like they figured they could get way more by suing the bigger fish.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 10:34

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Quote:

osprey wrote:
FRACKING will be the subject tonight on Coast 2 Coast radio talk show. With George Noorey.

I knew it. It's the aliens responsible for the fracking! lol

Posted on: 2013/8/12 16:18

From SWPA
I don't pretend to know all of the answers but there is a lot more to this story than the media wants everyone to know. I just heard that the original sellers wanted to back out of the deal because of these issues and the Hallowichs sued the original seller to keep the 10 acres! If that is true, not sure how they get anything for their property. Instead, they get $75,000/acre. Not bad.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 17:23

From Lehighton, PA
Personally, I'd take the word of the PA DEP on this with a large grain of salt.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 21:20

From SWPA
If the PADEP tests the water and the air, and the results are that drilling DID NOT affect the water supply or were not affecting the air, what else would you have the DEP do?
How is the DEP supposed to "fix" something that did not occur? Once again, the news media "runs" with the anti drilling complaints and do not want to admit when they are wrong.
I saw this while I worked at DEP. They are being made a scape goat because the drilling IS NOT the evil activity that is being pushed by the anti drillers and the news media.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 5:08

Quote:

RyanR wrote:

But you would take the word of the press over them or is it just for certain subjects?

Posted on: 2013/8/13 6:33

A little research shows that Gudgeonville is not lying or even exagerating.

Here is an article from National Geographic News from before the settlement.

link

The H's paid 20K for their 10 acre piece of land with definite knowledge of what was going to happen. They just claimed to not understand it.

When the sellers tried to back out on the deal, the H's did indeed sue to force the sale. They were even given the mineral rights, which is sounds like they hadn't originally purchased.

They did not test their well until a year and a half after the first well was completed.

The only contaminant consistently found is a chemical that is a known problem in the area and likely not caused by the gas drilling.

Company offered to buy the property for $200K which was the fair market value according to appraisal.

H's listed their house for $500K. Mind you, this is on a piece of land that they paid only 20K for and the house is not what I would call a McMansion.

Those pooooor bastards.

Apparently Mr's H was very active on the innertubes (internet) about their situation as well.

Conclusion: Gas bad.

P.S., the propane tank was a nice touch.

Attach file:

jpg  energy-shale-portrait02-hallowich_26860_600x450.jpg (53.50 KB)
348_520a1e59dc497.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2013/8/13 7:57

From Brookville, PA
Sounds like they had a plan from day one. Working for the anti natural gas movement maybe?

Posted on: 2013/8/13 8:54

From Pgh
Quote:

Gudgeonville wrote:
They are being made a scape goat because the drilling IS NOT the evil activity that is being pushed by the anti drillers and the news media.

LOL... of course drilling is not evil... It's what happens when accidents occur, employees get lazy, companies cover up, politicians scramble, and lawyers get slimy... that's when things get interesting.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 9:52

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Quote:

RyanR wrote:

But you would take the word of the press over them or is it just for certain subjects?

Where did I say that? My opinion is based on my interactions with a DEP official on issues similar to this and because of that experience I have very little confidence in our DEP. In my personal experience with this official I've found their involvement in their job of monitoring a specific quarrying operation to be lackadaisical at best (and the company knew this and clearly used it to its advantage and this idiot didn't even realize it.) Add to that this official was a better mouthpiece for the private company than their own people were.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 9:52

Quote:

RyanR wrote:
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Quote:

RyanR wrote:

Where did I say that?

You didn't, which explains why I presented it as a question. (See avatar)

Posted on: 2013/8/13 10:57

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com