Funding Cuts to Environmental Programs Proposed

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
By John Hayes / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Con­ser­va­tion­ists are not happy about the fed­eral gov­ern­ment’s 2018 bud­get pro­posal.

It’s still be­ing ne­go­ti­ated with both sides of a re­luc­tant Con­gress. As writ­ten the plan calls for cuts of 12 per­cent ($1.5 bil­lion) at the Depart­ment of the In­te­rior, 21 per­cent ($4.7 bil­lion) at the Depart­ment of Ag­ri­cul­ture and 31 per­cent ($2.6 bil­lion) at the En­vi­ron­men­tal Pro­tec­tion Agency.

The blue­print strips all fund­ing for the Land and Water Con­ser­va­tion Fund and the Ches­a­peake Bay Pro­gram. State and lo­cal gov­ern­ments would bear greater re­spon­si­bil­ity for car­ry­ing out fed­eral pro­grams.

The cuts can­not touch fed­eral Pitt­man-Rob­ert­son and Din­g­ell-John­son sport res­tora­tion funds, which are col­lected from hunt­ers and an­glers at the state level and re­ap­por­tioned back to state wild­life agen­cies.

In a bud­get-cut­ting rip­ple ef­fect, many non­profit pro­grams would lose some or all fund­ing un­der the pro­posed plan.

“With the mag­ni­tude of these cut­backs … the con­ser­va­tion leg­acy left to us by The­odore Roosevelt and oth­ers would be un­done very quickly, and the ef­fects would be felt on pub­lic and pri­vate lands and wa­ters in ev­ery cor­ner of the na­tion,” said Whit Fos­burgh, pres­i­dent and CEO of the The­odore Roosevelt Con­ser­va­tion Part­ner­ship, in a state­ment.

Thirty years af­ter Pres­i­dent Ron­ald Rea­gan spear­headed the bay’s cleanup, Ches­a­peake Bay Foun­da­tion Pres­i­dent Wil­liam C. Baker said the wa­ter qual­ity is slowly im­prov­ing.

“Reduc­ing fund­ing for the suc­cess­ful Ches­a­peake Bay clean-up, be­gun by Ron­ald Rea­gan, seems in­con­sis­tent with [Pres­i­dent Trump’s] re­marks about clean wa­ter,” he said, in a state­ment.

Pennsylvania’s wildlife agencies are struggling, but Wayne Laroche, Game Commission director of Wildlife Management, said the changes won’t bite into his agency.

“State Wild­life Grants are ap­pro­pri­ated and could po­ten­tially be im­pacted,” he said. “How­ever, we have no word on whether or not this fund­ing is in any jeop­ardy.

Fish and Boat ex­ec­u­tive di­rec­tor John Ar­way sug­gested it has be­come in­creas­ingly dif­fi­cult to carry out all of his agency’s re­spon­si­bil­i­ties.

"There comes a time when we dis­cover we can't af­ford to pro­vide ev­ery­thing to ev­ery­one. If we do, noth­ing seems to get done cor­rectly,” he said.

Ar­way sug­gested that stew­ard­ship of Amer­ica’s wild places is ul­ti­mately in the hands of peo­ple who un­der­stand that na­ture can no lon­ger take care of it­self.

“I am con­fi­dent that the Pres­i­dent and Con­gress will de­velop a bud­get that re­flects the pri­or­i­ties of all Amer­i­cans, in­clud­ing those of us who value our en­vi­ron­ment and fish and wild­life re­sources,” he said. “How­ever, it is in­***­bent upon us as sports­men to shout out our mes­sage so that it is fac­tored into bud­get ne­go­ti­a­tions."

Link to source: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/outdoors/2017/03/19/Outdoors-notebook-Funding-cuts-to-environmental-programs-proposed/stories/201703190110

Let's hope that more intelligent and forward thinking minds prevail.

Back