Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fracking Fluid Spill

From either at the tying desk or on the river
Can those ppl light their tap water yet?

Posted on: 2011/4/21 5:22

Sad! I grew up fishing the first 2 weekends every season on towanda creek with my dad. Then we'd head to the head waters of the roofs pm the and fish. Love that place is a d*** shame! As with the entire state there are more white trucks than people it seems at times and every friggen one of them has Texas Oklahoma or Wyoming plates on it. I wonder of the people working these sites tale as much care here as they would in their own back yard? I know a few accidents doesn't make all of them bad people etc but it's tough to read this knowing that there are 2 wells going in right on the head waters of the allegany river 6 miles from my house. Guess I better fish like he'll this spring in case we can't next spring v

Posted on: 2011/4/21 6:21

From Monessen, PA
My condolences to all in the area and downstream.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 7:21

From North Central PA
There went my fishing plans.... I live 5 miles from the Towanda Creek. The LeRoy area not only is ATW with put n' take stockies but the headwaters still hold a decent population of wild browns.
The lower end of "T-Creek" around Monroeton, PA is a fabulous smallie fishery too! The only saving grace is that with all the high water in the creek the frac fluids may get diluted enough not to cause too much damage. DWCO Pete Napoli assesed the creek yesterday and reported NO fish kills... YET!

I really hate living in the epicenter of drilling. Did you guys know that Bradford Co. has more active wells drilled and permits to drill than all of the surrounding counties in NCPA combined!!!

When I say I live in the epicenter.. it ain't lip service.

Realistically, not much will be done about screwing up the Towanda Creek. It will take a spill on a "famous" fishery to get the hackles all up on anglers in our area. Now if the North Branch Susquehanna, Loyalsock, or Pine Creek gets screwed with frac fluid there would be riots in Harrisburg. The Towanda Creek doesn't get "much love" from the average anglers... 'cept from a few of us who really love this creek... "SIGH".

I'm really bummed about this.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 10:04

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

jjsjigs wrote:
There went my fishing plans.... I live 5 miles from the Towanda Creek. The LeRoy area not only is ATW with put n' take stockies but the headwaters still hold a decent population of wild browns.
The lower end of "T-Creek" around Monroeton, PA is a fabulous smallie fishery too! The only saving grace is that with all the high water in the creek the frac fluids may get diluted enough not to cause too much damage. DWCO Pete Napoli assesed the creek yesterday and reported NO fish kills... YET!

It probably will (get diluted enough). In that sense, they got lucky. Lets home they aren't as lucky when it comes to fines. It seems to me that a cracked casing could easily be avoided, but yet I'll bet problems with the casings represent the vast majority of the problems including the methane in the water that someone else eluded to.

Everybody points their fracking finger when it comes to gas drilling, but more often than not, the problems are a result of cutting corners or poor quality. The BP spill in the gulf was no exception to that, either.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 11:50

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
FD, yup. I know 100% for sure they cut corners to save money. They're not regulatory corners, mind you (at least not that I'm involved in). More like willing to accept a greater failure rate to save money on materials.

The goal of regulations and fines is to make doing the right thing the cheapest option. Again, I'm only involved in the materials, but when they can save millions to have a slightly higher chance of incurring a fine in the thousands, well......

Posted on: 2011/4/21 17:02

From Chester County
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
FD, yup. I know 100% for sure they cut corners to save money. They're not regulatory corners, mind you (at least not that I'm involved in). More like willing to accept a greater failure rate to save money on materials.

The goal of regulations and fines is to make doing the right thing the cheapest option. Again, I'm only involved in the materials, but when they can save millions to have a slightly higher chance of incurring a fine in the thousands, well......

If I were the MS Czar I would set up a point system for violations as well as fines (a lot like the point system for traffic tickets). Too many points for serious violations and your "license" to do business in the State is revoked. I would bet the O & G companies would tow the line if that were the case.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 18:02

From Harrisburg
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:

Dear pcray,

Ethics are what make people to do the right thing when no one is looking.

All people have ethics, to varying degrees, but by and large corporations do not, as they tend to get in the way of profit margins. That's not good shareholder value.

Get set for more "mysterious" failures in the coming months. It's going to take something catastrophic to bring about any real measure of enforcement and fines and one event probably won't be sufficient.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2011/4/21 21:31
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Ebensburg, PA
It does seem to be the concrete casing that causes most of the problems (aside from wastewater treatment). I'm not an expert on the subject but this raises a question....

Is there current technology that allows concrete to be "X-rayed" or something of that nature to determine its integrity?

Maybe there is a better preventative measure than that but it seems that if regulations put companies in a corner to not get lazy on casings then we would see less problems.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 9:00

From LV
Chesapeake has had problems in the past.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 9:53

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
It does seem to be the concrete casing that causes most of the problems

Casings are essentially 2 steel pipes of different diameters, with concrete poured in between. A failure has to be in all of the materials, but steel is the first line of defense and must hold. There are 100's of types of steel available for use designed for this purpose, often specifically chosen to match certain downhole conditions. Plus, they're rarely a single piece, usually welded in some manner, which is often the weak spot. So welding practices, followed by heat treat for the steel (and how it'll respond to the weld/heat also depends on grade of steel).

Also, consider the bottom of the casing. So, you have a 1000 foot hole in the ground. You wanna stick a steel pipe down 200 feet, so that nothing inside can get out. But you have to seal the bottom, or else the stuff will just go up the outside of the pipe. Truthfully, I don't know exactly how that is done, but it seems like it should be a weak spot in the system.

Posted on: 2011/4/25 8:58

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com