Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Frack Fluid Spill

From Harrisburg
Dear Sal,

I'm not challenging what you said regarding "kickbacks" so don't take it that way, but if you or anyone else for that matter can offer substantive proof that money/goods/services are actually changing hands in an effort to influence policymakers when it comes to drilling rules and regualtions then by all means please come forward.

Behavior like that is illegal for both the giver and the recipient. People have been caught doing things like that in the past and made to suffer the consequences, as they should.

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about PAC money or soft money being donated to campaigns, that isn't illegal though sometimes I think it ought to be?

There is a great deal of money involved in this drilling adventure. While most people will be upfront and transparent in their ways there are some people that will go to great lengths to get more than their share regardless of the problems that brings to other people and places.

They are the people we all need to be concerned about.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2009/10/28 16:08
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From lancaster county
Wish i could Tim, wish i could. I would in a heartbeat.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 16:52

From Berks County
At this point, the drilling is happening and will continue. What the oil companies want is for people to forget about the issue so they can continue with their operations and spend the least amount of $ as possible on expensive things like sediment control, waste water disposal, etc. Sure, keep sending in your letters and calling your state representatives. But IMO, the best thing we can do is make life as difficult as possible for the oil companies. By difficult, I mean expensive. How is that done? If possible, go to the local level meeting where these operations are discussed. Ask questions. Make sure they are doing everything required by local and state law. Observe their operations. And above all else, if you witness something you think is a detriment to the environment, call everyone and anyone you can (ie - PADEP, soil conservation district, local police, etc.). And take pictures of everything you see.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 11:40

- S. Curtis

From harlansburg
you summed it up quite well, it's up to us to police OUR forests, we obviously cant depend on our state agencies or elected officials to give a damn.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 6:51

Chesapeake energy and others spent many millions tying up land in the Marcellus region. I was a recipient of some of this for land I own in Somerset County.

I saw Rendell on Jim Cramer's mad money show. He is pro drilling for the jobs. Cramer supported him. Not a surprise.

The out of state trash issue should have taught pennsylvanians one thing, if there's cash to be had, it will happen. Don't believe any politician running for re-election on the not in my backyard platform.

Posted on: 2009/11/16 8:59

From South Jersey
Well put. I'm beginning to feel helpless.

Salmo

Posted on: 2009/11/17 9:43

From Chester County
For Immediate Release November 16, 2009
717.705.7806 or elevis@state.pa.us
Fish & Boat Commission to Inspect Marcellus Shale Drilling Sites
Harrisburg, PA – Law enforcement officers and biologists with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat
Commission (PFBC) will begin conducting field inspections of active drilling sites for Marcellus Shale gas
wells beginning next month, the agency announced today.
“Until now our agency has only reacted to those drilling sites where a problem resulted in material
entering a waterway or wetlands,” said Dr. Douglas Austen, PFBC executive director. “We are now taking
a proactive approach to identify possible problems at a drilling site and to work with the company to
ensure necessary measures are in place to minimize the possibility of damaging nearby waterways.”
The agency will focus on those well sites that are in close proximity to Commonwealth
waterways, including wetlands. The inspections will determine if adequate measures are in place at the
drilling site and access roads to prevent damage to the nearby aquatic resources. As part of the
inspections, PFBC staff will also be obtaining water quality data from several locations in the nearby
waterway.
“The commission recognizes the need for and importance of the development of the Marcellus
Shale for gas production and believes it can be accomplished in a manner that provides protection to
Pennsylvania’s valuable aquatic resources,” Austen added. “Because of the importance of this issue,
waterways conservation officers and field staff have set aside other job duties and functions for a period
of time in order to conduct these field inspections.”
More than 150 active well sites have been identified so far for inspections, which are expected to
take place over the next several months.
The mission of the Fish and Boat Commission is to protect, conserve, and enhance the
Commonwealth’s aquatic resources and provide fishing and boating opportunities. For more information
about fishing and boating in Pennsylvania, please visit our website at www.fishandboat.com.

Link to source: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/newsreleases/2009/marcellus.pdf

Posted on: 2009/11/17 9:46

From Greensburg, PA
Wow a proactive stance...what a concept. I think that qualifies as progress.

Posted on: 2009/11/17 9:49

From South Jersey
I wish the drillers had to pay a tax so the State could get paid for the extra police work it has to do to make sure these sites are safe.

Salmo

Posted on: 2009/11/17 11:41

Speaking of Salmo, I read something the other day about the state upping their antiquated 1984-era, $100 well driller permit fee. I forget the new number, but it is significantly more. Then I read the fine print, and the new fee only applies to NON-MARCELLUS wells. Guess you don't want to impeded economic growth too much.

All i know is PA (resident) fishing guides pay $100 A YEAR to guide. Seems out of whack to me.

Posted on: 2009/11/17 12:21

From Hershey
The really sad thing is that DEP is being gutted at the same time all this drilling is beginning. In a few years no one will want to come to PA, especially for the outdoors. Good article from a TU guy (Pennel?) in the H-burg Patriot. I couldn't be more depressed about the future of our sporting traditions.

Posted on: 2009/11/17 17:08

Walk up the river to the cedar trees, follow the sun and catch a nice cool breeze

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com