FYI Elk Creek recent acquisition.

C

CRB

FYI Elk Creek recent acquisition.

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/41733459/theres-a-new-public-fishing-spot-for-steelhead-thanks-to-local-groups

6300' of access! Congrats. Is this the homewaters property?

Oh no, hope they aren't losing members. LoL

Got excited and thought this was the other Elk (that is deemed navigable yet still posted).

Lake Erie Region Conservancy and Pennsylvania Sea Grant can come up with almost a million bucks for that piece of land and at the same time access on a popular stretch of the LJR was in jeopardy over a matter of $5K a year.

Effing ridiculous and embarrassing on the part of the PAFBC.

I've been advocating this program for years, but here it goes again:

https://www.fishandboat.com/AboutUs/AgencyOverview/Funding/Pages/CAP-Program.aspx

Announced in the past week or so: PFBC will be spending $19.7 mil to add to the $23.8 mil that Gov Wolf announced will be released to do ten PFBC high hazard dam repairs at its lakes around the state.

I went to a recent Trout Unlimited meeting with the new head of the PA Fish Commission speaking. One of his main goals was to add to the amount of public waters. He didn't talk much about wild trout or anything like that (other then culvert removals and redesigns). He mentioned over and over about having more waters open to the public such as farm ponds and acquisitions like this purchase on Elk. They also talked about doing updates to places BEFORE they become an issue such as dams and hatcheries. The way this guy was talking it sounded like money was no issue anymore with the PA Fish Commission. They even have a bunch of new WCOs to add to what they have here in the very near future.

This is great news.

Thanks for the heads-up CRB.

Mike wrote:
Announced in the past week or so: PFBC will be spending $19.7 mil to add to the $23.8 mil that Gov Wolf announced will be released to do ten PFBC high hazard dam repairs at its lakes around the state.

Will this be more successful than the tailwater program that never happened?

If you are looking for me to privately fund it, I'm a little short of the required funds. If you are saying that the PFBC didn't have the money to pay for the program, why did they ever bring it up?

The new Elk Creek access will be nice for the folks who are interested in the fishery. I particularly like the fact that the new section comes out of previously privatized water. This helps, to a degree anyway, to relieve the issue of publicly supplied fish supporting a privatized fishery. Not end the problem, but relieve it..

Just for conversation's sake, I'm not unhappy that the tailwaters thing never came to fruition. I've seen what has happened to the Delaware and have no interest in seeing it happen elsewhere in PA.

What happened to the Delaware?

I'm all for opening up for access for the public to fish, no matter where. Erie tribs are probably more of a priority due to the number of fishermen using them, but I wish they would do something with the Little J also. It is a shame how much access is closed to such great fishing.

I like how the video is from a drone and one can see the depth of the gorge. I would like these Easements “park areas” to continue adding stream frontages. Just up steam from this is Little Elk Creek where the “devils backbone” is located. A true natural wonder. The stream doubles back on it’s self creating a cliff face on both sides and is very narrow. These areas should not be held privately but should belong to everyone not just fishermen.

It is a pretty unique place, for Pennsylvania... A lot of family memories there as well. That terrain and what was called the "blue banks of Elk Creek" were where my Dad and his brothers and my Grandfather ran coon with the dogs in the 40's. And after dark with carbide lamps, mind you.

More than once, they had to put a rope around a dog that followed the coon out over the edge and was hanging off a scrawny sapling a couple feet below the edge of the cliff. They'd haul him back up over the cliff and go find another track.

They never lost a dog though...

That must have been a blast. I’ve seen deer and turkey climb up the cliffs most were not 90*.
My warmest memory of steelhead fishing with my brother and nephews where during the winter and having an ice ledge brake lose and drench the fellows trying to push us out of our spot.

Back