Drilling fee bill headed to Governor for signiture

Glad to see it get passed. I'm actually impressed that our state legislators are passing something that makes so much sense.

My big problem with the straight "tax" idea is that it would go to the general fund. Thus, while drilling is causing some major issues that need addressed, and cost money to address, the money would not actually go towards addressing them, but rather to some unrelated project that seemed important at the time.

Like any other business, they already pay taxes to the general fund. I fail to see why the drilling industry should pay more than any other industry towards projects that are totally unrelated and unimpacted by drilling. It reaks of nothing more than a sin-tax, without any attempt to actually fix the sin. But, to the DEP, who has to hire extra inspectors and update their procedures, and the local road crews, etc., yes, the drillers should pay more because they place higher demands on those agencies than other industries.

With this, at least they've made some attempt to steer the money towards those agencies and entities that are being directly impacted. So I give it a thumbs up.

I feel that, very likely, the impact fee will prove to be too small. I hope that all of the state and local agencies which are incurring increased costs due to drilling keep good records of just how much money the industry is costing them. That way, a few years down the road, they can show their books, and a direct association with the cause, and thus provide a good argument to increase the impact fee.

If you were to look at the sorry history of extraction industries in PA and elsewhere their records speak for themselves, it's a real mess when they are done extracting and guess who pays the bill? Anyway hopefully the Bills as Passed include money toward conservation.
According to the second article no provision was made for conservation money going to State Agencies that are regulating the industry.

State agencies that are recieving money:

Emergency management agency
Office of State Fire Commissioner
Health Department
Department of Environmental Protection
Transportation Department

What other state agencies would you like to see that are helping regulate the industry, or directly impacted by the industry.

pcray1231 wrote:
State agencies that are recieving money:

Emergency management agency
Office of State Fire Commissioner
Health Department
Department of Environmental Protection
Transportation Department

What other state agencies would you like to see that are helping regulate the industry, or directly impacted by the industry.

Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission!

I could agree to that. They've spent a fair bit of money in response to MS, so yeah, they should be in on the take.

Back