HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Ditch at Big Spring Creek, Cumberland County Pa

From lancaster county
No doubt.
You ever get them down midging?

Loved that brown you caught with Eric R awhile back.
I've had a great year for large trout myself.

Hey on a side note. In a land far away you and I had a similar debate on fish passage ways and the letort.
The best thing was you spotburning your favorite rotisserie chicken joint.
Very good thanks.

We should hook up and toss meat at beasts sometime soon.

Posted on: 12/20 19:29

From LV
How do you explain how a portrait on the wall of a hunting lodge that is run by the Head of Clan Macdonald looks like my brother, when that branch of the family was separated by hundreds of years and many generations? The gens have been there for centuries.

Posted on: 12/26 16:48

From Eugene, Oregon
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
They really should restore the flow of the creek by removing the dam at the end of the ditch. All it does is block fish movement and create a fake stream environment. I realize that I may be the only person in the universe that feels this way, but it's so un-natural I can't stand the way it looks.
As for spawning habitat it'll be just fine.
I looked at the flows and the only time there is an obvious change in flows was on August 17, probably the day they did the survey. That doesn't rule out another impact, it's just the most obvious.

Chaz, add me as the second person in the universe who feels the way you do.

Posted on: 2/16 1:40

From New Bloomfield
SteveG wrote:
Bc for some reason people want to believe that every large brown, or one with a sparse spot pattern want to call it Loch Leven for some reason.

Sal wrote:
Loved that brown you caught with Eric R awhile back.
I've had a great year for large trout myself.

Should I feel called out?

No-one is calling the sparsely spotted silvery brown trout of the Cumberland Valley pure strain Loch Leven. They demonstrate Loch Leven characteristics in movement and appearance. If it looks like a duck and swims like a duck, it's a duck. But, with that said I would never attempt to argue genetics. I could spend the rest of my life trying to prove that one and fail. While it is possible through different spawning times and locations to retain separation. Not interested in that conversation either. I can say that these Brown Trout are an example of an early planting that favored the Loch Leven strain most likely brought in milk cans on the train as fingerlings that have had the luxury of time to adapt to the watershed or honed by natural selection to what they are today and they have extreme value to the angler. To this point they have been largely ignored and dismissed as transient. They demonstrate the greatest genetic diversity and fecundity. They have created the legends and the fame and yet can to this day be caught and killed. I want to protect them.

Posted on: 3/19 2:34
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

Eric,

I agree with you and can think of 4 other waterways right off the top of my head where the same looking / same acting strain can be found.

If there has been a very small population moving through our rivers / streams for 100-150 years, it's truly amazing that they survived or even spawned a new generation.

Posted on: 3/20 17:01

From Dauphin
I think the ditch at least closest to the spring hole down to where the tree is in the middle, could sure lose some vegetation. When I started fishing the ditch the floor was gravel and the brookies could spawn. Now there is all but zero area for them. Last time I was there during the spawn, I saw a hundred brookies on one bed, the only bed.

Posted on: 4/9 16:20

From lancaster county
Quote:
Should I feel called out?

No. Why would you? I have never challenged, put you on blast or said anything negative about you in my life.
You?

Posted on: 4/11 18:30

From New Bloomfield
Nah Sal, We're good. Steve G is a good friend and I think he poked me there and I'm more than fine with it. We have fun with this topic and push each other. That was one heck of an experience that day. Seeing that bull charge and munch Steve's streamer off the front of the boat. Great day. I haven't been on the Forum for a long time and for the most part had forgotten about it until I was told about this thread. I steer away a bit because I don't want to put someone in this position. I guess I am a plain speaker and can be passionate and put people off in this form of communication. When you can't see someones eyes and expressions it's so easy to give the wrong impression with text only communication.

Posted on: 4/22 1:51
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Do You Have or Will You Obtain Multiple State Fishing License’s for 2018?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2018/7/20 10:51
4 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com