Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Did I do the right or wrong thing Re: conservation

From OH
Good job.

Posted on: 12/7 11:03

From Da 'Berg, PA
if the town did it, TU can take them to task. you did a fine thing imho - after Sandy many towns issue emergency permits in the catskills, berkshires and green mountains to use heavy machinery instream to channelize wild trout streams to allievate the flooding.

the Town is not always right...

Posted on: 12/7 13:59

From Nazareth PA
You did the right thing. Many developers do not bother to check with DEP or PAFB and just assume they can do what they want on their land.
In my area, we had a farmer cut down the trees along a stream and filled in some of the stream to give him more farming land. When we saw this, we notified our local WCO who had the power to make the land owner return the stream to its natural condition.

Thank you for doing the right thing.

Bill

Posted on: 12/7 15:00

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

UPDATE: It may have been the county mosquito control, who did something similar a few years back a few miles down stream. In that scenario they were fined, however the damage was done.

Posted on: 12/7 15:06

From chester ct
David - you done good. We need more citizens like you.

Which stream was impacted? (Sent you PM too if you don't want to spot burn). If it's within Chester or Montco, I can get our VFTU to start keeping an eye on the developer/township and have them make sure we are apprised of their development plans before the fact.

Posted on: 12/7 20:23

From LV
Let DEP decide, and this also supports why ALL streams that aren't listed on the wild trout streams list should be reported to PFBC so they can survey the streams. If no one knows there are trout there it can't get the proper protection.

Posted on: 12/8 16:40

DEP told me to go screw and that I'm lucky they left stumps behind.... When I asked them if crews are supposed to post permits around the work site, the person literally shuffled papers and said, "Uh.." repeatedly until I said forget it.

This is not over as far as I'm concerned.

Posted on: 12/11 14:04

Quote:

DavidFin wrote:
DEP told me to go screw and that I'm lucky they left stumps behind.... When I asked them if crews are supposed to post permits around the work site, the person literally shuffled papers and said, "Uh.." repeatedly until I said forget it.

This is not over as far as I'm concerned.

Did they actually say "go screw?" If not, what did they say?

There is no US or PA law prohibiting cutting trees down along streams. It's harmful to streams. But there is no law against it.

There are laws against channel alteration. And there are laws regarding erosion and sedimentation, i.e. if there was a lot of soil disturbance and a lot of mud washed into the creek, and they did not take the right measures (silt fencing etc.) to try to prevent that.

If those were violated, then there is a legal issue.

But if nothing was done other than cutting of vegetation, then no law was violated.

It might be worth contacting the County Conservation district. They might be willing to talk to the developers and convince them into doing the right thing, i.e. creating a riparian buffer, planting trees and shrubs etc.

That may sound like a long shot, but I know of a case where that worked. Many people are not so much deliberately callous about streams, but just completely unaware about stream care.

Posted on: 12/11 14:44

This is in NJ, actually.

My problem resides in the fact that it's a recognized wild trout stretch (only a 1/4-1/2 mile stretch of this stream carries the designation) and all the destruction occurred in that stretch, with two very important holding spots torn apart. One of them seriously looks like someone pushed a giant lawnmower over it.

So, why bother with the designation if a government municipality is going to destroy it? It really adds insult to injury.

Posted on: 12/11 18:28

“One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds. Much of the damage inflicted on land is quite invisible to laymen."

Aldo Leopold

Posted on: 12/11 19:22

Quote:

troutbert wrote:
“One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds. Much of the damage inflicted on land is quite invisible to laymen."

Aldo Leopold

That is a very good quote. It's so very true.

Posted on: 12/11 22:43

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com