Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Dam removal.

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Does anyone know how this project was funded and who got the ball rolling on the removal? It is a TU project? Was the state or city of Bethlehem involved, DEP, PF&BC?

I just ask because this is a common concern in PA with all of these low level dams that serve very little purpose anymore and should be removed. I can think of a few on the Bushkill I would like to see be removed. The problem I see is the funding for these projects. They are not high priority as far as a public health or safety issue, they are more of an environmental concern that could involve DEP or PF&BC funding.

Just curious on the background of this project if anyone is in the know.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 11:56

From Bethlehem, PA
This project was pretty much done exclusively by the City of Bethlehem. All funding was done through grants, which the City applied for. I forget exactly which grants they ended up getting. The Monocacy Chapter of TU was involved in getting the ball rolling so to speak, and offered support through out the process, but the City did all of the work. The dam was located on City property. The Forks of the Delaware Chapter is involved in many projects on the Bushkill (easton).

Posted on: 2013/10/10 16:35

Reviving this old topic. Was up in Bethlehem a few weeks ago and was talking to another fisherman who was telling me that along with the dams there is an effort to eliminate stocking on the monacacy and let it go natural. Any truth to this?

Posted on: 7/6 10:42

From Chester County
There is a proposal by the FBC to limit stocking to preseason only on streams found to be Class A. Monacacy is one of them.

Here is a past thread discussing the proposal.

Posted on: 7/7 7:21

From LV
Quote:

ebroesicke wrote:
This project was pretty much done exclusively by the City of Bethlehem. All funding was done through grants, which the City applied for. I forget exactly which grants they ended up getting. The Monocacy Chapter of TU was involved in getting the ball rolling so to speak, and offered support through out the process, but the City did all of the work. The dam was located on City property. The Forks of the Delaware Chapter is involved in many projects on the Bushkill (easton).

I don't know if the let it go wild plan is gaining steam, but I for one would welcome the ending of stocking on the Monocacy as well as the other limestone streams in the LV.
BTW the dam at Illicks Mill is supposed to be removed this summer, if it hasn't already been removed.

Posted on: 7/9 21:59

From Emmaus
Chaz,
Are you sure you mean the Illicks Mill dam? I haven't heard any chance of that one being removed. The one in the colonial area came down last fall.

Posted on: 7/10 12:12

From SE PA
The one at Illck's Mill would likely take a lot of work as that is built into the stonework at the park. Would be good to see it get removed. Probably need some work with the silt behind the dam.

As a side note I see there is a debate going on about the Robin Hood dam on the LL. Seems like there is one guy raising a ruckus about removing it.

Posted on: 7/10 13:24

From Bethlehem, PA
I can tell you with 100% certainty that the dam at Illick's Mill is not coming down this summer, and there have been no plans in the works to do so. There is a plan to update the park and do some stream work. The dam is not part of that plan.

Stocking will probably never be ended on the lower section of the Monocacy due to high angler use and easy access, The plan has only ever been to end in-season stocking. Due to the fact that the creek has a high population of wild fish that qualify as Class A, this seems to make sense.

Re: Robin Hood bridge yes, there is 1 guy who for some reason really loves that dam, and is letting everyone know about it.

Posted on: 7/11 8:06

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Link to Robin hood dam dude.

Posted on: 7/29 11:54

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

CLsports: One thing that it seems that anglers don't think about with respect to wanting a low-head dam removed from a creek is that the project first requires a willing dam owner.

Posted on: 8/1 21:32

Mike, how does dam removal work if the waterway is considered navigable? Is there such a thing as eminent domain if the dam owner does not want to cooperate?

Posted on: 8/1 23:05
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Landenberg, PA
from what i know, that is state to state.

In MA, when the dam owner doesn't comply - on navigable or non navigable , they seize it on public safety grounds - theoretically to protect life and property downstream.

dam owners tend to be happy to sell out in most cases.

Posted on: 8/8 14:29

Thanks geebee. I wasn't sure because technically a dam impedes the use of the (at one time) highway.

Posted on: 8/8 22:56
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com