Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

DEP: Elizabeth Twp. puts raw sewage into Yough

That was the article headline on page B-2 in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette today. Certianly not in a very obvious spot to notice.

"Up to 6 million gallons of raw sewage a day have been allowed to by pass the Elizabeth Township Sanitary Authority treatment plant and flow into the the Youghiogheny River, according to the Department of Enviromental Protection."

The story did not go into any detail so I am not exactly sure who was letting this happen. I am not sure how you would not know you were doing this.

(6 million gallons of anything everyday is alot- never mind poop and pee)

So incompetance maybe but I tend to think that this act is criminal.

I have asked Deborah Weisburg from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette to follow-up on this story.

Posted on: 2008/1/16 11:08

Re: DEP: Elizabeth Twp. puts raw sewage into Yough

Here is the response from the Post-Gazette:

"Hey Paul,

I know that the PG's Don Hopey is going to be all over the Elizabeth discharge
story. I take it personally -- I live just off the Yough. I fish it and my wife
and I canoe there often. Reading that story this morning, I wondered if any of
my waste has been diverted into the river. Not a happy thought.
I agree it's a serious matter. We're on it."
John

John Hayes
Outdoors Editor
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
412-263-1991, jhayes@post-gazette.com
Post-Gazette, 34 Blvd. of the Allies, Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Posted on: 2008/1/16 15:19

My new New Year's resolution. Quit using my teeth when tying knots. Yuck!

Posted on: 2008/1/16 19:17

From SW PA
Paul,

There a lot of other treatment systems on the Yough that fail on a daily basis!! I live near West Newton, actually Rostaver Township, and I know for a fact that both West Newton & Rostraver's systems have been fined in the last 3 years for just that! This is a big problem on alot of other streams too. We just don't hear about it that often. Hempfeild Township just recently did a huge upgrade to their treatment center, and it's close to being maxed out already! These are all in the Yough Drainage System!
I've had people tell stories about Mill Creek in Ligonier also, and Latrobe is known to stock the Loyahanna with "Brown Trout" from time to time also. This is a big problem in alot of places!

JH

Posted on: 2008/1/17 22:04

From SW PA
It just occured to me, that a little town down stream from me just had sewage lines installed. The town's name is Sutersville and I also know that their lines go to Elizabeth Township (Buena Vista Plant). My grandparents live there and they were telling me about their monthly sewage bill, are you guys ready for this,,, it's $78!!! They're paying $78 to pipe their sh$t straight to the Yough??!! Yeah, I would say that this definitally criminal, getting paid to provide a service that you aren't even providing and polluting a viable fishery in the process!!!

JH

Posted on: 2008/1/17 22:31

J- sometimes I try not to think about it.

I am sure this stuff goes on more than anyone wants to admit.

Question though- why if there are more treatment plants now and less people around here are there still major problems. Was it because the treatment plants were being by passed altogether?

Posted on: 2008/1/18 8:47

From SW PA
Quote:
Question though- why if there are more treatment plants now and less people around here are there still major problems. Was it because the treatment plants were being by passed altogether?

That's a good question, with a complicated answer. here's my theory:

While the population is falling in some areas(Pittsburgh & Allegheny Cty), it's increasing in others(Any County that borders Allegheny). The areas where it is increasing are mostly rural without sewage ultilities. These townships are getting pressure from the Govn't and homeowners who want sewage for several reasons, mostly to raise property value. Most treatment plants aren't big enough or equipped to handle a larger area. They were built to handle a small community, say 25 years ago. As that area experienced a greater population, the greater the demand on these older and outdated treament systems. Hempfield Township is a prime example of this. They got some grant $$ to correct this problem, built a plant that could handle the projected population increase. When the plant was complete, the population had already met those projections. They spent millions to get caught up, and are already behind.

Just my two cents.

JH

Posted on: 2008/1/18 11:38

J- makes sense.

Whistling past the graveyard everytime I pass the treatment plant near Perryopolis on my way to Hazelbakers canoe rental.

ps If you would like to fish the Yough for smallmouth, renting a canoe there this is an excellent way to do it.

Posted on: 2008/1/19 9:05

From SW PA
acristickid,

I usually rent from Yough Outfitters, I live about 300 yards from them. I walk there and then walk home. Do the all day float from Whisette to West Newton.

JH

Posted on: 2008/1/19 22:09

Have'nt done the float down stream that far. Been by on the bike path though.

Perhaps next summer.

Posted on: 2008/1/20 12:52

From Monessen, PA

Posted on: 2008/2/14 7:10

Better than no action, I guess.

Posted on: 2008/2/14 10:15

From SW PA
It's fixed but.... WHAT A CROCK OF SH$T!!!!!!!

JH

Posted on: 2008/2/14 20:58

From schuylkill county, pa
This has been a problem in my area for years. Treatment plants spilling untrated waste in the Schuylkill and the West Branch of the Schuylkill. In the Last ten years many of therural areas were were hooked up to a municipal system. To help with the treatment process, the sewage and the stormwater were seperated. Before this happened, heavy periods of rain would cause a huge spike in the flows coming into the treatment plant. The plant can't keep up, so the waste just got dumped into the creek. The total cost of the tree projects cost over $60 million, but it covered a lot of homes that were not on a public sewage system. Built one new plant, updated another. Seperated waste and storm water in two towns.

Posted on: 2008/2/14 21:44

From SW PA
c,

I understand what your saying, but why take on additional homes/communities if your system can't handle it??? IMHO it is nothing but GREED!!!! Elizabeth Twp. took an additional 150+ homes/families knowing that their system wouldn't be able to handle it a peak flows. They are charging a household of three $75/month and that doesn't include the tap in fee. Nothing but,,, A CROCK OF SH$T!!!!!!!

JH

Posted on: 2008/2/15 23:23

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com