Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: DCNR at Valley Forge

From harlansburg
jealousy that THEY cant catch the big trout that DCNR was going to kill.
DCNR has the worst job, damned if you do and damned if you don't.
bottom line, trouts are NOT the most important part of the stream, the majority of our waterways are eventually used for drinking water, trout just happen to live in them.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 8:57

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Quote:

tomitrout wrote:
uhhhm, why exactly do you guys object to DCNR monitoring the pollution levels in the stream, any stream? Seems to me the PCB levels in the fish would to be a pretty decent indicator of the overall health of the watershed? Imagine this has more to do with than just the trouts...

Wasn't going to say anything but glad you brought it up. I was thinking the same thing. It just can not be a bad thing that it's monitored. I would think it would be worse if they did not.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 10:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Best thing that could happen to this stream is them lifting the C&R regs and instituting some type of slot limit , allowing harvest of 8" to 12" fish.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 13:51

From Lansdale,Pa
Valley is All Tackle C&R and what I was told by the PFBC was that PCB levels were low enough to change from no kill on all fish to the current reg.You can harvest any fish but trout now.And a big thank you to VFTU for helping get the pollution cleaned up from the Paoli rail yard which is where the PCBs came from.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 14:39

From West Chester, PA
Haha. There is much more to the story. I've worked on several cleanup projects in the "Valley". I am by no means saying that we (DEP) shouldn't be investigating and collecting data. My point is that there are much better ways to do it than shock fish in July/August, kill some of them, and really still be none the wiser as to what is going on.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 14:47

From Chester County
Quote:

JasonS wrote:
Best thing that could happen to this stream is them lifting the C&R regs and instituting some type of slot limit , allowing harvest of 8" to 12" fish.

Most the the "decent" fish I catch on Valley are around 8-12". It's rare to catch one larger than that, since the stream doesn't have the best habitat and food supply in the world, IMO. Cropping out most of the decent fish would not enhance and would actually diminish the angling experince on the stream, IMHO.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:07

From King Of Prussia, Pa
I disagree. There's a ton of big fish habitat, from undercut banks to root wads. There's enough food to support a pretty massive biomass. The problem is, that biomass is made up of an over abundance of small fish. Start removing those fish and you'll start to see larger fish on average, imho.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:18

From Chester County
Habitat improvement would have an awful lot more impact on the size structure of trout in Valley than any harvest regulation. With every high water event the silt shifts like the sands in Sahara desert filling in the deep areas and carving out others. The rush of water erodes the exposed banks and pours silt into the stream. And high water events are the norm on since rainwater draining from impervious surfaces. Check out the graph on the USGS site. The water rises and falls at a steep rate even during a relatively minor rain event.

In addition, to support larger fish, a large forage base is needed and none really exist in the stream. Further, Valley lacks both numbers and certainly diverisity of macros.

Stop in on a meeting of Valley Forge Trout Unlimited. The people there can share a lot of info about the stream.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 19:14

From Chadds Ford, PA
Fish it when the flow is between 80 and 120 CFS which it rarely is for long. You will find out about big fish in Valley.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 22:53

From Philly
I'm always happy to see DNCR guys when I'm fishing, and say "thank you" when my license is checked. I'm a fan of the "no harvest" regulation on Valley, but that stems from the belief that there would not be a healthy population if the regulation wasn't in place. I think catching mostly smaller fish is a pretty good problem to have.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 23:38

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com