Corbett says he'll support an impact fee on drilling

Acristickid

Acristickid

Find it funny when folks blame the governor for not imposing a tax- last time I checked the state senate was entity that could'nt get it passed. Anyways- here a bone for the commonwealth.

From Today Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

HARRISBURG -- With Gov. Tom Corbett indicating he could support an impact fee on natural gas drillers, the burden now is on lawmakers to put together a plan.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday, the governor, who opposes a state-level tax on natural gas drilling, echoed previous statements from his staff that an impact fee that aids local governments is something he would consider.

"I would have to see what they would propose, and where the money would go," Mr. Corbett said. "Money just to the general fund? No. Money to the locals, money to the county? I'd sit down and listen to them."

Senate Republicans have been discussing an impact fee since talks on a severance tax fell apart last fall. They are in the process of crafting legislation that would determine how such a fee would work and where the money would go, said Drew Crompton, a top aide to Senate President Pro Tem Joe Scarnati, R-Jefferson.

Mr. Scarnati has said he would prefer a method that would keep "the lion's share" of the funding for local governments, which he says are dealing with strains to their infrastructure, government services, and emergency response systems.

The senator also supports setting aside some funding for environmental programs like Growing Greener, as well as boosting safety regulations on the industry.

Mr. Corbett said alleviating impact on communities should be a topic of discussion for his new Marcellus Shale Advisory Commission. Lt. Gov. Jim Cawley, who will lead that commission, previously had ruled out taxes and fees as agenda items.

"I understand there is an impact to the local communities, and I believe in some way, shape or form, we need to address that impact to the communities," Mr. Corbett said.

House Republicans, including Majority Leader Mike Turzai, R-Bradford Woods, have said they oppose placing any new taxes or fees on gas drillers.

But Democrats and environmental advocates say they'll keep pushing for a state-level severance tax, which they believe should help pay for Pennsylvania's environmental oversight programs.

Rep. Dan Frankel, D-Squirrel Hill, described the governor's comments "a baby step in the right direction." He supports enacting a tax that would dedicate some funding for the Environmental Protection and the Conservation and Natural Resources departments.

"I completely disagree with him that it should just benefit local communities," Mr. Frankel said. "Every other state with significant gas drilling has an extraction tax. It can be done in a reasonable way."

There also will be pressure from some lawmakers to move quickly on providing communities with funding. Companies have paid to revamp many ancient rural roads, but communities also are facing rising costs from needing additional staff for records offices and other services.

Mr. Crompton said the Senate GOP hopes to finish crafting its impact fee plan "within weeks." That plan will look "significantly different" than the tax plans debated last session, he added.

"[Sen. Scarnati] believes it's important to work on this -- he's not comfortable waiting for the next few months and being in a holding pattern" while the commission works on its report, Mr. Crompton said. "That doesn't mean we can't incorporate our work with the commission's."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11083/1134384-28.stm#ixzz1HWS9EBQS

Thats kind of what I've been saying for a while. I oppose a tax going to the state's general fund. I support one going to the local governments. Glad to hear it.

I support that as well, I wouldn't want to see the money going to the general fund, they waste enough money there already.

got this email today

Thank you for contacting my office to express your concerns regarding the Marcellus Shale development in the Commonwealth.
The Marcellus Shale and other natural gas resources provide us with tremendous economic and energy independence opportunities, but we must be sure to proceed in a way that protects Pennsylvania’s environment and safeguards the health and welfare of our citizens.
With that in mind, I have created the Governor’s Marcellus Shale Advisory Commission, composed of government and industry leaders and environmental experts, to develop a comprehensive, strategic proposal for the responsible and environmentally sound development of the natural gas industry. Lieutenant Governor Jim Cawley will lead the Commission as they review and consider regulatory and legislative changes and other pertinent issues. The Commission will report to me their findings in 120 days of the Commission’s first meeting.
Rest assured that I am working with the Department of Environmental Protection, the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, and other federal, state and local agencies to ensure that our parks, game lands, forests and water supplies are protected as we develop Pennsylvania’s Marcellus Shale resources.
Thank you again for contacting my office and please do not hesitate to contact me again.
Sincerely,
TOM CORBETT
Governor

The senator also supports setting aside some funding for environmental programs like Growing Greener, as well as boosting safety regulations on the industry.

I selfishly want the money in the Growing Greener fund.

It is kind of funny, "No New Taxes" but "Yes Impact Fees".

I as well would like to be selfish and see the money go in the growing greener fund

I guess that depends on which paper you read...

HARRISBURG -- Gov. Tom Corbett said on Wednesday that he's not opposed to proposals that would allow communities or counties to impose fees on the booming natural gas industry, despite his continuing opposition to a new tax.

But the Republican governor called discussion of the topic speculative, because there's no such proposal making progress in the Legislature,

Read more: Corbett opens up to Marcellus fees - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/state/s_728891.html#ixzz1HZGp0zDA

Being open to it and agreeing to it aren't exactly the same thing. I didn't expect the Trib to acknowledge that...

tomgamber wrote:
I guess that depends on which paper you read...

HARRISBURG -- Gov. Tom Corbett said on Wednesday that he's not opposed to proposals that would allow communities or counties to impose fees on the booming natural gas industry, despite his continuing opposition to a new tax.

But the Republican governor called discussion of the topic speculative, because there's no such proposal making progress in the Legislature,

Read more: Corbett opens up to Marcellus fees - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/state/s_728891.html#ixzz1HZGp0zDA

Being open to it and agreeing to it aren't exactly the same thing. I didn't expect the Trib to acknowledge that...

Exactly! Let's see if he puts his money where his mouth is.

It just seems like common sense to go local instead of imposing taxes. It's practical, sensible, cost-efficient, targeted, everything a tax payer and environmentally minded person would want.

Unfortunately, it is at odds with current law, namely the PA Oil and Gas Act, in which local ordinances are expressly superseded. There is a Municpalities Planning Code that applies, but that is very limited.

For example, DCNR, with its state forest and park holdings, tried to do the practical and cost efficient thing and simply impose some extra restrictions and conditions for gas exploration for one of its leases since, you know, it's the people's forests and parks we're talking about.

That was challenged very quickly by the gas industry and overturned despite all kinds of effort by PA attornies who, as far as I could tell, were on solid legal ground. But that's law and the courts for you--very unpredictable.

And expensive. You think these municipalities have the resources to go up against these guys with all of their challenges?

Laudable conceptions of local control regarding the best way to do things are nice, but not realistic. When there are vested interests, it's always a battle, and for quite a while now, the soldiers are lawyers and their weapons are brief cases full of legal documents.

Their #1 enemy is taxes. Why? Because taxes aren't burdened with the legal limbo that can be challenged, and they can't be danced around or avoided, and if you don't pay, the consequences are clear. In other words, taxes have a certain trumping power that these guys won't be able to fight. That is the main reason they don't like them.

The PR flak operations, of course, only mention that taxes are bad beause of deficits and Big Bad Gubment Bureaucracy ruining job creation and energy independence.

This local ordinance approach sounds really nice, but I think it's a non-starter--costly, inefficient, complicated and ineffective, and as mentioned before, does not comply with PA code.

Dear DGC,

Thank you for elloquently and accurately pointing out that Governor Corbett is only creating the illusion of letting local municipalities determine their destiny.

Do as little as possible for as long as possible and hope that people don't notice that you've done nothing.

That's how a modern efficient government works.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back