Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Cold Water Sanctuary

From United States
I've read a previous thread that brought this situation into topic. I feel a need to expound. I've read a book or two on Pennsylvania trout fishing that demonstrated this type of cherry picking. Wild browns will stack on cold water prior to running to spawn. I believe that fishing on these fish is a detriment. Weather you catch these fish or not. In the premise of protecting wild fish do you believe that the PFC should protect these areas from fishing pressure?

Posted on: 2012/8/19 2:54

Re: Cold Water Sanctuary
From Gettysburg
I'm sympathetic to the idea but, as you know.....the devil is always in the details.

It might be workable on private land under some circumstances but on public property, you'd probably need to get the PFBC on board with such a project and they will likely decline due to practical reasons such as signage, enforcement, confusion over regulations and precedent. In recent years, for example, there has been a pretty well organized effort by FFers and others to do something along these lines up at Pine Creek where trout predictably stack up at certain tribs every summer. As far as I know, the plans have not come to fruition and the PFBC remains skeptical.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 13:38

From Pittsburgh
It works on the "hous" in CT.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 6:57

From SE PA
This has been a popular topic almost every summer around this time. While it's below my ethics ot target such fish we have to consider two things before we change any current regulations.

First, are there practical regulations that could be instituted and enforced?

Second, but more important, is there really a measurable impact to the fishery from the targeting of those fish? Natural predators already take advantage of the situation and likely impact the fishery much more than humans. If the fishery has no current regulations against such targeting and the fishery remains relatively healthy what overall impact would be gained? Other than satisfying our ethical concerns?

Posted on: 2012/8/20 7:54

From Chester County
Quote:

franklin wrote:
This has been a popular topic almost every summer around this time. While it's below my ethics ot target such fish we have to consider two things before we change any current regulations.

First, are there practical regulations that could be instituted and enforced?

Second, but more important, is there really a measurable impact to the fishery from the targeting of those fish? Natural predators already take advantage of the situation and likely impact the fishery much more than humans. If the fishery has no current regulations against such targeting and the fishery remains relatively healthy what overall impact would be gained? Other than satisfying our ethical concerns?

That's what it amounts to, really. But that's enough for me, personally. Put the "sport" back in sport fishing.

At the very least, you may make some aware that it really isn't sporting to target fish in the survival mode while in a thermal refuge. The same can be said for targeting spawning fish on their beds.

Lead by example, some may follow.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 8:07

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Doesn't the Beaverkill in Ny have thermal refuges that are illegal to fish?

Posted on: 2012/8/20 8:27

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

SBecker

Yes, NYSDEC shuts down stretches at a time on the Beaverkill. They do it in CT too, amongst other places in this country too.

For what ever reason, I guess Its too hard in PA. Must be different conditions here in PA.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 9:14

From SE PA
Education is another tool to influence angler behavior relative to this issue.

Here is a proposal; have PATU purchase a full page advertisement in the PFBC fishing digest with a well crafted message. Pay to have it placed in a prominent location towards the front of the digest. Maybe adjacent to the 2013 trout season listing. Ask the PFBC to assist in crafting the ad. Set up a special fund at PATU to fund the add. I will donate the first $100 to the effort.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 9:24

From Chester County
Quote:

franklin wrote:
Education is another tool to influence angler behavior relative to this issue.

Here is a proposal; have PATU purchase a full page advertisement in the PFBC fishing digest with a well crafted message. Pay to have it placed in a prominent location towards the front of the digest. Maybe adjacent to the 2013 trout season listing. Ask the PFBC to assist in crafting the ad. Set up a special fund at PATU to fund the add. I will donate the first $100 to the effort.

Interesting idea. As well, one thing that's REALLY lacking is the average trout angler's awareness of the presence wild trout in many of our streams.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 11:22

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
one thing that's REALLY lacking is the average trout angler's awareness of the presence wild trout in many of our streams.

+1000000000. This is where it all starts.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 14:09

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yes, but don't dare tell anyone that a stream has wild trout in it. That's spot burning!!!!!

Posted on: 2012/8/20 14:16

Pat,

I love it! That was my point a few thousand spot burning threads ago. I gave up since it seems those who oppose spot burning do so with religious fervor.

You can't fix crazy (no offense to those of you who fit that description).

Mike

Posted on: 2012/8/20 18:34

From LV
It would only work if it was under the general regulations for refuge waters, likethe mouths of streams that have wild trout are closed to fishing after June 1. But the problem is always the enforcement.
Brookies stack up at the mouths of creeks during late spring as the water is warming, but not yet lethal.
edit: PFBC has always said they don't like to close waters to fishing and they've pretty much made it policy.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 21:27

But Chaz....does that fall in line with the Resource First policy?

The enforcement excuse is a bunch of BS. The WCOs have no problem patrolling the stocked streams in March? I see them out all over the place. I would bet there won't be nearly as many "refuge" waters/sections in PA then there would be stocked trout streams.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 8:04

From Dallastown, PA
Trouts go for refuge at the same time WCO's go to lakes for the BUI-fest.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 8:14

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com