Bringing Brookies Back, One Stream at a Time

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Just watched that vid this morning on the Orvis site. Good Stuff.

Gret clip.
It is important to remember the problem is much larger in PA, while there are 2,900 miles of streams (approx.) in PA that are impacted AMD, but there are thousands more miles of brook trout water that are a degree or 2 to warm for brook trout that could, if the effort was made, be recovered.
They could be recovered one stream at a time.

Great video, thanks!!

$215,000. Seems a small price to pay....

i recall catching these little orange bellied beauties as a young kid first introduced to fly fishing. the streams my dad an me fished were never stocked and the fish, mostly small. The streams were little more than creeks my dad would stumble on deep in the woods during hunting season and looking back now i realize they were all wild and apparently dwindling brook trout. beautiful memories....

I'd like to also add that brown trout have infested most systems to their head waters. They thrive in water parameters far out numbering that of a brookie's tolerance.....choosing the right systems to spend money on brook trout preservation should be the first order of business.

no love lost for brownies though :)

Stag.......That was really a cool video , when i was in my 20's i worked 2 summers in the Deep Creek , Oakland , area of MD and remember being drawn to check out a number of streams that had the "look" and found a few that were indeed occupied , but i remember on the ones that weren't occupied , after taking a thermometer with me it was a matter of a few degrees in temp that seemed to be the problem. To shorten this up just let me say , it doesn't cost much and it doesn't have major impact to place a few boulders , well placed , to move the water enough to cool and oxygenate the water enough to create occupancy.....VERY GOOD ONE STAG!!!!!

Back