Barkskins by Annie Proulx

R

rrt

This is a short book review. I think it fits better here in the Conservation forum than in the book review forum, though if the moderators disagree, then they ought to move it. Anyhow....

The dust jacket of the 714-page Barkskins notes that the book is a history of several families as they participate in the cutting of the (mostly) northeastern forests. In actuality, it is a history of the destruction of the forests themselves and the greed that caused this destruction. As you read the novel, I think you will become increasingly disturbed about man's rapacity. Proulx notes various things about the loss of the forests, including the loss's contribution to global warming.

Proulx's tone become increasingly despairing as the novel proceeds, as she details this destruction. Toward the end, she notes that there are a few out there who are trying to set a repair process in motion but that it may well be too little too late.

It really is not pleasant to read about the destruction of the forests -- and if you think about what is going on in the Amazon rainforest today and that has been in the news recently, you might hold little hope for saving that Brazilian forest as well.

Anyhow, it is a good though unpleasant novel that might make you think a little harder about conversation issues regarding forests everywhere. If you choose to read it, it will take you awhile.

Thanks, rrt.. I didn't know Proulx had a new book out. She's a quality writer and a unique voice. I'm almost sure to pick it up and give it a read.

She is a good writer. Thanks for the review. I will look for this one. On the topic of destruction and greed look no further than our current administration. What a disgrace to America and the planet.

Back