Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Bald Eagle Creek/Sayers Dam

Quote:

Hook_Jaw wrote:
John I remember when they did all that work by where masrh creek dumps in below the bridge where that island and they tore it out was what was the reasoning to take that out.

I saw that too. I think that's the typical sort of stream channelization that is often done to try to prevent flooding.

They dig out a bunch of streambed substrate to increase the capacity of the stream.

Then during the next high flow events a lot of sediment drops out there again.

Then they dig it out again. And so on, forever.

This is a very common thing. I've seen it at many places.

Posted on: 9/14 16:15

From Penns Creek Canyon

That's a big musky

Posted on: 9/15 8:55

From SE PA
Quote:

bigjohn58 wrote:

The lake is terrible! Panfish are fun to catch through the ice there but you get no size. Sometimes the bluegills are decent size. Perch are pathetic there. Crappies are 8 1/2-8 3/4" with the occasional one out of a thousand a foot to 16". Bass are so few and far apart. Yes there is an occasional lunker caught here and there but over all the bass fishing is terrible on that lake. Some decent catfish and carp but over all that lake is just barren and featureless. I almost feel sorry for the fish that do live in there.

I target bass on the lake. It's one of the most productive in PA. I've had a couple conversations with the PFBC biologist in the region. There is LMBv there that takes some younger fish but reproduction is prolific enough to overcome that. Not for big lunkers, but high numbers of 1 - 5 lb bass. On the three day trip with my boat and three anglers we often boat 75 or more bass. Post spawn to end of Sept. Once in a while we even land a 4 lb smallie.

Do you have a boat or fishing from shore? With a boat and a couple guys you can go through rotations of depth, lure, and location until you hit a pattern. Good electronics helps.

Posted on: 9/15 10:07

From Williamsport, PA
Quote:

franklin wrote:

I target bass on the lake. It's one of the most productive in PA. I've had a couple conversations with the PFBC biologist in the region. There is LMBv there that takes some younger fish but reproduction is prolific enough to overcome that. Not for big lunkers, but high numbers of 1 - 5 lb bass. On the three day trip with my boat and three anglers we often boat 75 or more bass. Post spawn to end of Sept. Once in a while we even land a 4 lb smallie.

Do you have a boat or fishing from shore? With a boat and a couple guys you can go through rotations of depth, lure, and location until you hit a pattern. Good electronics helps.

Yup fish out of a boat. My brother does some tournaments up there. Compared to other lakes in the central/north central area its towards the bottom. Honestly most of the tournaments my brother has won up there consisted of one or two fish. I've seen 7 pounders caught there including a smallie that size. Over all population of bass though isn't great. That lake also gets the most pressure (tournaments) and recreational activity out of almost all the lakes in PA.

Posted on: 9/15 10:22

From Penns Creek Canyon

I have to agree with that I think there is far better lakes to bass fish in.

Posted on: 9/15 12:52

From LV
Just like ACE to turn a cold water stream into warm water. There are trout in Lower Bald Eagle Creek and several other species of fish. It is unconscionable for ACE to NOT have a Conservation release level on its reservoirs especially one that certainly supported by inflows and river gauge data. There is no excuse for closing the gates on the dam.

Posted on: 9/29 9:06

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com