Another Didymo stream

M

Mike

Didymo has been found in Dyberry Creek, trib to the Lackawaxen. Those wading birds sure are getting around all of a sudden.

(Expletive deleted)

Is Dyberry a tailrace?

:( Great there goes the Lackawaxen and most likely soon the Lackawanna :(

Fishidiot wrote:
(Expletive deleted)

Is Dyberry a tailrace?

There is a flood control dam north of Honesdale, if that's what you mean.

However, according to this it's been found on the East Branch, which puts it above the dam.

this is starting to get scary

Mike wrote:
Didymo has been found in Dyberry Creek, trib to the Lackawaxen. Those wading birds sure are getting around all of a sudden.

:roll:

Dyberry is not a tailwater with a bottom release dam. It's just a common freestoner like thousands of other PA streams. :-(

I drive by that dam on my trips to the delaware, and have never seen water backed up behind it

this is starting to get scary

First the Yough this week, now this watershed. What's next?

Whats the states plan to combat this stuff?

Probably open up even more areas to fracking. Ruin the watersheds that way first so nobody will notice the didymo...

What are it's options?

1. Angler education, try to get people to wash stuff properly, etc.

2. Outlaw the most likely vectors, like felts.

3. Outlaw progressively less likely vectors.

It's a sucky situation. #1 is a no brainer. #'s 2 and 3 are and should be considered, but they will only slow the progress. At this point, it's a virtual certainty that in time, all streams will be exposed to it, and it's just yet to be seen where it takes and where the damage will be most severe.

Other than in New Zealand, has any of the infected streams shown a real detrimental impact from didymo? Other than the early spring time blooms that impact nymphing.

I work on AIS issues for Trout Unlimited. Didymo, while not good, is a little different that some of the other aquatic invasive species threats in that it is native to North America. So, while it is impossible to predict exactly what will happen in each stream, Didymo is a native species, and it may not cause the severe infestations that have occurred in places like New Zealand. However, should be vigilant. They can be a vector for Didymo to introduce it and spread it to new waters. TU strongly supports the adoption of clean angling practices to inspect, clean, and dry your gear, especially your wading boots and waders, and to not move fish, fish parts, plants or water between drainages. Elimination of the use of felt soles is also a good idea, and it will help reduce the risk of introducing and spreading AIS.

Well you could have limited the number of non resident licenses to 0 3 or 4 years ago, but that doesn't stop stupid Pennsylvanians from spearding it. Probably every trib to the Delwarewill get it since it's all over the "D."
To answer the question, Dyberry is not a tailwater, it's a freestone stream with a very good population of brook trout. It's easy to see that it would get didymo.

From what I have heard from guys who frequent the upper D and the W/E branches - where Didymo has been for a number of years(since 2007) - the fishing has been better than ever. It may look nasty and foul lines/flies/lures at peak growth times but I think overall trout pops will be fine. I have yet to read anything online about trout disappearing from any stream infected with it(knock wood).

And yes, I concur, kill birds starting with common mergansers who wander up nearly every trib. along the D.

FWIW -

I've been told by a couple of old timers on the delaware, that didymo has been in that river for a long time. It just recently has been identified and given a name.
Don't know how much truth there is to those claims though

Does the scientific community community have any idea how long it takes from the time of introduction until there is a sizable impact on a stream or river? I know this is a very open question but for instance, is there an estimate when Didymo was introduced into the Delaware? Was it a ten year process or twenty or fifty?

Back