Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

All central PA streams doomed?

2 years ago I saw what I thought were New Zealand mud snails in Spring Creek. Now I see the posted warnings everywhere. I firmly believe that there is no way to successfully prevent them from spreading. 1000s of people going from one creek to the other : they will be spread. So is this the doom of all of these streams? Or is this like Whiling disease and isn't the end of rainbows as was advertised?

Posted on: 3/22 8:29

Re: All central PA streams doomed?

From LV
Too early to know.

Posted on: 3/22 8:33

From Couldn't Care Less
How do we know how (and the what) the impact on the trout food chain will be if we see a population explosion of snails?

Posted on: 3/22 8:47

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I wouldn't call it "doom". But it'll effect macro pops and thus perhaps change fish pop numbers, growth rates, etc.

Posted on: 3/22 9:04

From Washington, PA
It's funny, I fished above the paradise but there wasn't a sign there. No instructions what to do...you are correct though...people don't care and it is very sad.

I bought a second set of waders and boots this year so i can use my old one only on Spring Creek where I fished with them when I heard about the Mud Snail problem there.

I froze my boots and waders this winter...a good winter for it.

One guy was like...."why would you do that...if I take care...someone else will bring them so why go to the bother..." I know I don't want to be the guy that moved it.

Boss

Posted on: 3/22 14:07

Paved Paradise and put up a parking lot............

Posted on: 3/22 14:12

From LV
We need to pressure FF and fishing shops to put up wash stations and signs explaining the consequences. Also DCNR and PFBC should do this at access areas and make it mandatory to clean boats every time they are moved from place to place. Though with didymo it diatoms may be native to the watersheds or at least established long before the the evidence appears.

Posted on: 3/22 15:46

From Mechanicsburg PA
Don't know about the snails but fracking up north and raw sewage down here (thanks Camp Hill boro and the farmer who killed Green Spring....) are pushing us much closer. 90% sure I'm retiring out of state though a lifelong resident.

Posted on: 3/22 17:21

From Gettysburg
Doomed? Of course not.

In my opinion central PA trout streams - all things considered - are much better off than they were thirty or forty years ago. Invasives are, obviously, a problem...but our state's streams have always faced various problems. At the time they emerged, many of these threats were hyped way beyond what their impact turned out to be.

Those of us who have been fishing here in PA for awhile can well remember the outcry in the 80s about acid rain(!) and all the pessimistic prognostications about how this would ruin trout fishing by the end of the century(etc) across the state. By the 90s, Whirling disease was going to destroy rainbows within a few years. These and other threats all proved to be of only minor or local trouble.

If you think we're doomed and think greener pastures await you in a different state....go ahead and move (Montana would be nice if you can pull it). I'll stick around and continue to fish the trout streams in central Pennsylvania which are just loaded with wild trout.

Posted on: 3/22 18:59

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Doomed? Of course not.

In my opinion central PA trout streams - all things considered - are much better off than they were thirty or forty years ago. Invasives are, obviously, a problem...but our state's streams have always faced various problems. At the time they emerged, many of these threats were hyped way beyond what their impact turned out to be.

Those of us who have been fishing here in PA for awhile can well remember the outcry in the 80s about acid rain(!) and all the pessimistic prognostications about how this would ruin trout fishing by the end of the century(etc) across the state. By the 90s, Whirling disease was going to destroy rainbows within a few years. These and other threats all proved to be of only minor or local trouble.

If you think we're doomed and think greener pastures await you in a different state....go ahead and move (Montana would be nice if you can pull it). I'll stick around and continue to fish the trout streams in central Pennsylvania which are just loaded with wild trout.

Fully agree. People come from all over the country and world to fish the trout streams of PA. It's been that way for a long time and will continue to be. I plan on always having a place in central PA. One of the top ranking trout fishing states in the east and probably the country. Certainly not doom. Oh and as I've stated before on this problem... It's not just the guys that are fishing. Birds, animals, the hundreds of kids and adults that swim in the water every year, boaters, etc. Yes we need to be aware of it but just remember we, we are not at fault here.

Posted on: 3/22 22:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

Is drying still considered an effective deterrent? I rarely get to fish two days In a row, and even then, it's at the same place. I do have a dedicated pair of boots for the Breeches. They're felt, but that's the only place they've ever been used.

Btw, many of the smaller streams I fished in western Pa were supposed to be dead by the end of the 90s - they're still fishing ok. One near Johnston used the be orange from AMD, now it holds fish.

Posted on: 3/23 9:18

From Flourtown, PA
Acid rain decimated the mountain streams in VA. Wrecked them. The mountains must've squeezed all the bad water from the clouds before they got up here.

Posted on: 3/23 9:32

Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:

Those of us who have been fishing here in PA for awhile can well remember the outcry in the 80s about acid rain(!) and all the pessimistic prognostications about how this would ruin trout fishing by the end of the century(etc) across the state.

Acid rain has been very damaging to trout populations in PA, in the areas of the state with weak buffering from the underlying rocks and soils.

These stream sections are not known to most people, because stream mileage with no fish at all, or few fish, and few aquatic insects, don't become "destination streams."

I don't recall people saying acid rain would end all trout fishing in PA. It's possible that some magazine and newspaper writers who didn't really understand the situation exaggerated things.

But in the 1980s, I think the information put out by the PFBC and other agencies, and the researchers at the universities, on acid precipitation made it pretty clear that the main impact was on streams in certain areas with infertile geologies.

The PFBC had articles in PA Angler, and they had a brochure they handed out at sports shows etc. that explained this in an accurate way.

Posted on: 3/23 9:45

From Gettysburg
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

Acid rain has been very damaging to trout populations in PA, in the areas of the state with weak buffering from the underlying rocks and soils.
These stream sections are not known to most people, because stream mileage with no fish at all, or few fish, don't become "destination streams."
I don't recall people saying acid rain would end all trout fishing in PA. It's possible that some magazine and newspaper writers who didn't really understand the situation exaggerated things.

Fair enough.
I didn't mean to imply that acid rain had no effects. Certainly those effects existed, and still exist. The lakes of the Adirondacks
in particular are known to have continued problems with this.

My point, rather, was that different periods of time often see hyperbole and exaggerated predictions of the potential damage to streams and fishing from the newest bogeyman....and that these predictions are often that: exaggerations. Furthermore, I don't mean to minimize the very real threat posed by invasives. However, the title of this thread asks if streams in central Pa are "doomed." I contend that they're not. In the streams I follow closely, wild trout are thriving and continuing to be found in stable and often increasing numbers with continued surveys of many waterways (there are, of course, exceptions). Wild trout are doing very well in central PA, and in the Cumberland Valley in particular, they're experiencing something of a boom. Are there serious problems that deserve serious scrutiny and remediation? Of course. Are our streams doomed? Of course not.
Set aside the sentimental hand wringing and go trout fishing in central PA. It's wonderful.

Posted on: 3/23 10:12

I agree that central PA streams are not doomed.

We'll be saved by the gillaroo!

A colorful strain of brown trout from Ireland, whose diet is primarily snails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillaroo

Posted on: 3/23 10:33

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com