Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 40 years from now

From Bozeman
Yeah, that's basically what I meant by "sister currents". A while ago, I read a paper that basically highlighted everything you said, but would be curious to see any other resources on the matter. I'll have to do some digging.

My comment on the "if/what/why" mainly served to express my feeling that it's such a chaotic system that any attempt to predict it cannot be taken as gospel... so yeah, we still don't know if/what/why.

Posted on: 2009/8/28 16:44

From Gettysburg
For what it's worth, it may be of value to look BACK 40 years to see what prognosticators were saying about the future of trout fishing. During the era of "Silent Spring" and the nascent environmental movement fishermen were very pessimistic about the future of the environment and trout fishing in particular. Interestingly enough, I would argue that in many respects trout fishing in PA is actually better today than 40 years ago (with some exceptions). The truth is, trying to predict what trout fishing will be like 40 years from now - while worth speculating upon - must by its very nature be a highly inexact form of speculation. The pessimists of 40 years ago, in my humble opinion, largely got it wrong.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 15:42

From Johnstown, PA
Protecting entire watersheds seems to be the ticket , watershed coalitions seem to have the most success.

Posted on: 2009/11/16 6:37

Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
For what it's worth, it may be of value to look BACK 40 years to see what prognosticators were saying about the future of trout fishing. During the era of "Silent Spring" and the nascent environmental movement fishermen were very pessimistic about the future of the environment and trout fishing in particular. Interestingly enough, I would argue that in many respects trout fishing in PA is actually better today than 40 years ago (with some exceptions). The truth is, trying to predict what trout fishing will be like 40 years from now - while worth speculating upon - must by its very nature be a highly inexact form of speculation. The pessimists of 40 years ago, in my humble opinion, largely got it wrong.

Rachel Carson said in Silent Spring that DDT was hammering the bird populations, particularly top level predators like bald eagles and peregrine falcons and ospreys.

And she was right. When I was a kid we never saw bald eagles in PA and ospreys were very rare.

Luckily people paid attention to what she said and DDT has been banned. Since that time these birds have been making a tremendous comeback. Ospreys are common and even bald eagles are becoming widespread.

So, Rachel Carson's Silent Spring has been vindicated, not repudiated.

It's similar with a lot of the other environmental activists of 1960s and 1970s. The benefits you have seen are BECAUSE of the courage of those people. They are the reason we had the Clean Water act, efforts to curb acid rain, make improvements in sewage plants, industrial discharges, clean up acid mine drainage, regulate the coal industry to reduce new impacts, etc.

It's pretty ironic. These people fought to get make environmental improvements. After endless struggle, they had some modest successes. So people accuse them of being Chicken Littles.

"No good deed goes unpunished."

Posted on: 2009/11/16 16:25

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>all it will take is one massive volcanic eruption and no more global warming.>>

And a couple of significant plagues.

We need to get angling pressure down some..

Posted on: 2009/11/16 18:51

From Pgh
Well put, troutbert. If we learned anything from the last 40 years, it's that we can make a difference.

"Here's to the crazy people. The ones who are crazy enough to think they can make a difference. They are the ones who usually do."

Posted on: 2009/11/17 10:47

From Johnstown, PA
troutbert...........i agree with everything except the part about ospreys being common , i'm takin that personal.

Posted on: 2009/11/21 8:52

From It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
hoping for a huge volcanic eruption might not be such a good thing... the next super volcano that is projected to erupt is yellowstone... it is one massive volcano... any stream near it and even not so near it would no longer exist...

Posted on: 2009/11/21 21:46

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com