woul like some helpful Input

P

PopPop-Gill

Hello All,
I will be getting back into Flyfishing this year and need some input ob basic rod and reel looking for a mid rage rod I guess a 6 or 6?
I saw eagle claw had a rod and there was a reel Total cost was around 40dollars is that a good price for somone who is getting started ?
thank you

hey man the big thing is what is your price range for a new outfit? I would say a 5 weight rod would serve you well and be versatile enough for most types of fishing.

Bass Pro has a decent starter set called the Dogwood canyon and it is around $69...good place to start.

Ok,

scrap the eagleclaw.

are you going to fish this rod for bass/steel/trout??

if so, get a 9' 6 wt., despite what the majority on this board think, you can cast small dries with some practive and finesse, and you'll have the backbone for some steelhead/bass.

you can't beat cabelas three forks rod or the other combos they have for beginners.. all under a 100 dollars for rod, reel, and line.

Pop,
Welcome to our online community. The standard trout rod for most applications here in PA would be something like a 8 foot rod for a 5 weight line. Any rod between about 7-9 feet and 4-6 weight line should suffice. Rods below and above these numbers are more for specialty fishing. Get whatever rod that appeals to you and fits your budget. Be aware that, if it doesn't come with fly line, that this will cost an additional 20- 30 dollars. Take some time to browse through this Beginner's Forum as there's a good bit of discussion on this subject.

I would recommend and 8' 6" - 5 weight rod as an all around first rod choice. You could fish practically anywhere with that set up

LLBean has a couple of starter outfits for under a $100. And the best warranty in the business IMO

I just bought a combo from Cabelas for $ 50. It a 5 weight 8' 6" Cahill combo. The combo is ready to fish and it is a fast to moderate action rod. It is a great set up and it is from Cabelas, so if anything happens to it they will take care of you. I had mine for a year and I accidentally broke the top of the rod in half, they told me to get another one of the shelf. Their customer service is the best!!

As with ever hobby that I have picked you start out with what you can afford and that will work fine. As you progress you become more experienced and you will require more specialized equipment that provides a better and perhaps slightly more productive experience. I started out with a browning rod and Martin reel topped with the cheapest Wally world line I could find and now let's just say I have moe rods and the gear to go along with it. My wife is shocked at how quickly I have outgrown the area she allowed me for fly tying. Don't let anyone con you into more than you feel comfortable with. I only fished a 6 wt for years on a reel with no drag for everything from sun fish and bass to trout and my first full year of steelhead fishing. I did ok. Have fun and good luck

Thanks to All for the info It will help and thaks for being so friendly

Even though I took a good natured shot at techies and gadget fishermen on another post I will say quality tackle increases the pleasure of our sport.
I had to relearn that lesson when I retired to Florida and switched to spinning-figured it was silly to put out big dollars for barbaric tackle.Ended up wasting a huge chunk of green on bargain shopping.
That does not mean you have to buy the most expensive but beware of ratings on sites like bass Pro and Cabelas.
Go with what these gentlemen suggest and try before you buy-Don't compromise on something that you think will be good enough.Its either good tackle or it isn't.

Pop, I'm a huge fan of my $20 Eagle Claw and $20 Medalist, but when my friend asked me to help set him up I steered him away from it to nicer stuff.

Depending on your price range, the world's your mollusk. As it is, I'd say a quality, budget, outfit is a Cabela's Three Forks 8'6" 5wt. I know the rod'll set you back $50, chances are the rest of adds probably another $40ish on top?

Still, its good enough to get your feet wet and not be immediately hampered by an arcane gear choice.

Also, I will attest the LL Bean Streamlight Ultra and SL reels are pretty damned sweet.

Back