what flies should I start out with?

bassfever

bassfever

I'm new to fly fishing and wondering what flies I should start out with.
it's overwhelming how many different flies there are.
Is there maybe 6 or 8 different flies that I can start out with, and still have some success?
I am in south eastern Pennsylvania.
Thanks.

BF,

Did you look for hatch charts for your area? In addition for asking for help here, it's a good reference point.

http://www.djlflyfishers.org/hatches.htm

Tricos are one for this time of year, wooly buggers and various nymphs are always god flies to have in your box. Another good selection for this time of year is various terrestrials, such as hoppers, ants and beetles.

Hope this helps!

Wooly Buggers are one of the all time favorites and they are real fish catchers. I would recommend size 8 or 10 (black, brown, olive, white). Beadheads are good as well as a bit of flash every now and then. Fish them up, down, across, swing 'em, strip 'em it really does not matter a whole lot how you fish them. As long as you have it in the water you have a chance. I have hooked many fish over the years on WBs while they were dangling in the current below me while I wasn't paying attention. Welcome to PAFF, keep an open mind and you will learn a lot from these guys. Good luck and have fun!

bassfever wrote:
I'm new to fly fishing and wondering what flies I should start out with.
it's overwhelming how many different flies there are.
Is there maybe 6 or 8 different flies that I can start out with, and still have some success?
I am in south eastern Pennsylvania.
Thanks.

From your name and after reading your past posts, I assume you are asking about bass flies.

No need to sweat about flies, a hand-full of basic flies are all that's needed to catch bass.

Get yourself some wooly buggers in some dark and light colors (maybe black or olive for dark, and white or chartreuse for light).

Some poppers in a few colors (light and dark) for surface fishing, and some clouser minnow in different colors (Chart/white is the most popular) should round out your selection.

Size 2-6 are bass sized flies.

Just stick to the basics with flies when starting out. A Wooly bugger, a Clouser Minnow and a popper will catch fish anytime anywhere.

You may want to Fly-fish for bluegills or other panfish while on the lake, too. They are usually very anxious to take a fly. All you need are few smaller poppers for surface fishing (size 8-12) and smaller nymphs like hares ears, pheasant tails or prince nymphs for subsurface.

Work the cover and the shoreline just as you do with your spin outfit.

FF for bass and panfish is great fun and not very hard at all. Have fun. Post a report and some pics.

I have been fishing all my life, but just recently turned to fly fishing. I also tie some flies which seem to be working on warm water lakes and rivers for panfish and smallmouth bass.

white poppers with long rubbery legs, hoppers work great, also dark rusty red bead head streamers.

making a small "thwak" sound when the fly hits the water is good

casting a hopper onto a rock one shore then make it "hop" to the water with a jerk strip works all the time

in lakes toss a leggy popper near Lilly pads and just let it float awhile then twitch it around a bit, and hang on to your rod! LMB's will jump out of the water when they hit! bass get really acrobatic on topwater takes and its a hoot.

parachute ant in summer will catch anything. great must have fly

if your fishing the rivr, than definitely wooly buggers, poppers, and a clouser. on the lakes in your area i have luck with a deeper water clouser and other sinking baitfish.

Just like the other guys said, streamers and poppers are great for bass. If you want, head up to TCO or another fly shop and ask them about bass flies, i'm sure they would be more than happy to set you up and give you some pointers.

Remember Rod Wt will make a big difference on what size flies you should get. The heavier Wt of the rod and line the larger the fly that can be presented.
Poppers and Streamers are great to use. I do best with the white colored poppers with alittle bit of other colors on them. Bass Pro shop and even Cabalas have some Bass Fly packs that work nicely.
When your fishing, whether on rivers or lakes- adjust the speed of retreive until you find out what will attract them the most.

When I fish the river I try to outrun the sunnies and bluegills as best as possible. Them two types like a slower speed. And when I find one of them Bass chasing, and not committing, I either stop and abrutly speed up, or just plain speed up and this will usually get them to pounce.

Remember....a big bass did not get big by making mistakes...it got that way by being smart. So good luck in outsmarting them!

From one newbie to another, you can't go wrong with Woolly Buggers. I've caught a decent amount of both bass, pickerel, and trout on them. I've caught more trout on them, but ever since I picked up the fly rod, and let my spin equipment collect dust I've only really gone bass fishing a few times. When I did, the Woolly Bugger, and a streamer pattern I made up and a friend tied for me was really all I used, and I caught quite a few.

Back