Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

weights

From altoona pa
I was wondering what type of weights you guys use while nymph fishing. i have been using small micro round weights but they are impossible to remove from my leader to reduce weight.I try to change weight a lot from hole to hole and it is very frusrating.Al

Posted on: 6/17 10:40

Re: weights

From New Castle, PA
Forceps or even full blown pliers are the ticket for removing weight. Just crush the weight in the jaws of the forceps with the slit facign one of the jaws and they will come off fairly easily. Sometimes a little prying with the forceps and your fingernail is needed but its about the best way to do it.

Don't worry about trying to save and reuse split shot. That's a losing battle.

For the record, I strongly prefer Black Bird and Super Doux split shot depending on size of shot being used. Black bird for size 4 or larger, SD for smaller stuff. It might seem like all split shot should be roughly equal, but these two brands are the best IMO. They aren't too hard or brittle, yet they aren't too soft and grip the leader well.

in contrast, I really hate the green coated Dinsmore shot.

Posted on: 6/17 11:29

From Burke VA
I have a different approach than pennkev, I reuse the same weights over and over. One you shut and open a weight back up they become very manageable to remove by my fingernail. If I have a new weight or one that is stuck I use my nippers(not nice ones) to open it, works like a charm. I prefer the camo weight.

Posted on: 6/17 16:41

From Chester County
I use Water Gremlin split shot > lead shot with ears in size B & BB (the smallest 2 sizes on the left in the pic). Easy on, easy off and small when compared to tin shot...and cheap.

Instead of messing with micro shot to add a small amount of weight, I use tungsten putty and roll it on the tippet > think spaghetti not a football. I pinch off or add more to adjust weight.

Attach file:

jpg  Water Gremlin Splitshot.jpg (7.40 KB)
53_59465f7813bad.jpg 500X500 px

Posted on: 6/18 7:09

From altoona pa
Thank for all the input folks,I will try all the input you guys have given
I have fished for years but this is my first year of fly fishing.I rented a instructor in Apriland started catching fish immediately on Spring Creek and little J.I just need to keep learning.

Posted on: 6/18 9:37

From Brickerville
I use the super doux micro shot especially this time of year when my standard water gremlin shot that afish uses is too much weight for the low flows. I have Dr Slick forceps that have a needle point built in that makes removing the micro shot quick and easy. I reuse the water gremlin but not the micro shot.

Posted on: 6/20 7:23

From Chester County
Quote:

nomad_archer wrote:
I use the super doux micro shot especially this time of year when my standard water gremlin shot that afish uses is too much weight for the low flows. I have Dr Slick forceps that have a needle point built in that makes removing the micro shot quick and easy. I reuse the water gremlin but not the micro shot.

Water Gremlin > deeper and faster water

Tungsten Putty > shallow and slower water.

With TP you can add, subtract or remove in seconds without fussing with micros.

Posted on: 6/20 7:57

From Dallastown, PA
If yer on tha crick with Tom and ya need sinkers, just ask, he'll get his bag out for ya. He also carries extra forked sticks too.

Seriously tho, when you wanna get down in a hurry they are the way to go. But the "ears" tend to twist your line like a corkscrew if fishing buggers or stripping streamers. I have also broken a rod when a group of those buggers slammed into the butt section.

Put me in the category that fusses with microshot. If I think I need three of a size, I get out five cause two are going into the drink.

Posted on: 6/24 8:08

From Burke VA
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
If yer on tha crick with Tom and ya need sinkers, just ask, he'll get his bag out for ya. He also carries extra forked sticks too.

Seriously tho, when you wanna get down in a hurry they are the way to go. But the "ears" tend to twist your line like a corkscrew if fishing buggers or stripping streamers. I have also broken a rod when a group of those buggers slammed into the butt section.

Put me in the category that fusses with microshot. If I think I need three of a size, I get out five cause two are going into the drink.

When I was young and had no clue how much weight to put on that was my method. Take out 5 shots and however many made it onto the tippet was the right amount of weight.

Posted on: 6/24 20:42

From Lehigh Gorge
Another vote for water gremlins. I start with 2. Then remove 1 or add 1 as needed. Saves alot of time messing with weights. If I can save and reuse I do but I dont fuss about it.

Posted on: 6/29 21:00

From Chester County
Quote:

Tigereye wrote:
Another vote for water gremlins. I start with 2. Then remove 1 or add 1 as needed. Saves alot of time messing with weights. If I can save and reuse I do but I dont fuss about it.

Yeah, no muss or fuss. Been using them for decades and never had any issue with them.

^Guys that claim they spin on their line should learn to cast...

Posted on: 6/30 6:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com