tippets

masteroffish

masteroffish

ok on the subject of tippets. I used up all that I had from my purchases.
I like to fish for sunnys,and such. i usually use popper,and sometimes nymphs. recently was given some hoppers to use.
Now for the idiots question,what tippets should I be using,and since going to get new tippets,what is best line iyop.

If you are talking brand, Rio products are excellent Powerflex and floroflex are what I use.

If you are talking about size, 3x to 6x should cover you in most situations.

sunnies and such? no reason to use tippet. Go with a flurocarbon or mono fishing line and save some $

bam wrote:
sunnies and such? no reason to use tippet. Go with a flurocarbon or mono fishing line and save some $

Can you really do that? I wondered about that but did not think it would work.

one of my fly fishing mentors says he always uses mono fishing line instead of tippets. 4lb or 6lb test depending on what he is fishing for. i have adopted the same habit

sometimes I use tippet when fishing small dries, but 2, 4 or 6 lb line treats me well for virtually all my fishing

Just to compare regular mono for spinning with tippet for FFing here is a comparison of a popular brand of each:

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?dir_id=758&subject=2202

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/line/monofilament/trilene-xl

Orvis SS tippet:

.009 diameter = 2x = 11.5 lbs

.008 diameter = 3x = 8.5 lbs

.005 diameter = 6x = 3.5 lbs

Trilene:

.009 diameter = 2x = 6lb test .

.008 diameter = 3x = 4lb test

.005 diameter = 6x = 2lb test

The Orvis tippet is twice as strong the regular mono for the same diameter. Also, when using 6lb or 4lb test mono, your tippet is 2x or 3x, pretty heavy for smaller flies. In addition, 6x (2lb test) is pretty thin for the average 12-16 trout fly, where you would probably want to use 4x or 5x tippet.

To take it a step further, I am fairly sure that tippet and mono of equal diameters do not have the same stiffness. Tippet is a different material, and is much more supple.

Tippet's just way better, if that matters much to you. Often, I don't think it makes a difference, but there are much better places to go cheap than on tippet.

jayL wrote:
To take it a step further, I am fairly sure that tippet and mono of equal diameters do not have the same stiffness. Tippet is a different material, and is much more supple.

Tippet's just way better, if that matters much to you. [color=CC0000]Often, I don't think it makes a difference, but there are much better places to go cheap than on tippet.[/color]

Think about this, even Jack, as cheap as he is, has FFing tippet spools in his vest.... :)

No doubt that's the case as far as breaking strength and diamater under perfect conditions, but I fish 4lb fishing line with just as much confidence as 4x tippet. I don't completely dismiss lb test, but 4lb line behaves much like 4x tippet and less like 6x tippet even though 6x tippet has a similar breaking strength. What it really boils down to is fishing the correct diamater line to the size fly or conditions you're fishing. Would I fish a size 12 nymph with 6x tippet and a couple BB shot... not a chance. That same rig with 4lb fishing line performs just fine. I believe the line has more elasticity and the extra diamater helps with abrasion resistance. Maybe it's just me but line seems to have more knot strength, won't kink or fail as easily when damaged and costs $5 for a hundred yard spool.

I usually carry a spool of 6x for fishing small dries, but that's about it.

not trying to push fishing line on others, but it works for me. If we're talking about fishing for sunfish I'm not using a $15 dollar spool of flurocarbon leader.... that's for sure:)

When I fish for anything but trout, its been regular 8# mono. Drifts, drag, etc don't matter nearly so much when you're slapping down big streamers for bass, etc.

When I fish for trout, I'll buy and use actual tippet. This is a place where I'm pretty sure it matters.

If I'm fishing big streamers I just use an old tapered leader or a length of 10 or 12lb. The leader doesn't matter much as long as the streamer turns over without snapping on a cast or hookset.

I use mono exclusively. 6.6lb and about 9ft. You can get away with using smaller if you are fishing shallow. I like to slow the fly down though which is why I use a long leader.

I use mono exclusively. 6.6lb and about 9ft. You can get away with using smaller if you are fishing shallow. I like to slow the fly down though which is why I use a long leader.

I assume by mono, you mean mono fishing line versus mono leader material. I also assume since you are talking about 9ft, you are using a straight piece of mono for leader and tippet. I have no idea how you are doing this. How do you get your flies to turn over? I mean I would subscribe to this if you were talking about nymphing or even if you shorten it and are talking about streamers. I just don't see how this could ever work with dry flies. I don't see how you could fish 18 and under flies with 6.6 lb casting mono either. I don't understand why fishing in shallow water allow one to "get away with" smaller mono? What does the depth of the water have to do with this set up? What do you mean you like to slow the fly down and that is why you use a long leader (not that I think 9ft is a long leader)? I am not nitting you here, just trying to figure out what you are talking about.

4lb trilene fluoro works well for any situation trout fishing in the right length and no i don't nail knot a 9' piece to my fly line for nymphing or drys either one . make my own tappered then end up with 4lb trilene fluoro as tippet most of the time , steelies are 6lb seagar instead

Thank you all for the responds. I am still in the learning stage and I have a lot more to learn.

Just my two cents...but mono works great for me on warm water situations and I just prefer actual tippet material for trout. The word supple came up earlier and I would have to second the importance of that quality. For steelhead, I love fishing six pound Seaguar Florocarbin. My tippet preference is Orvis Superstrong...that material has amazed me a couple times with its durability and it has saved some large fish for me.

Back