Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

tippet visibility and floatant

Newbie question about tippet visibility:

I was trying to fish a BWO dry and emerger tandem on Valley last week.

noticed that the tippet was resting on top of the surface in a way that was "denting" the water, and would probably be VERY visible from below.

Is it right to assume that keeping the tippet near the fly free of floatant and finger grease is a pretty important thing? Is it typical to apply leader sink fluid?

Should I be trying to get the last 12" or so of tippet to sink into the water cleanly to keep it less visible?

Typing it out, seems like I may be answering my own question, but jut wondering what is common practice.

Thanks

FWIW, tippet was 7x fluoro

Posted on: 2013/2/27 23:49

Re: tippet visibility and floatant

From New Castle, PA
You are right, you usually don't want the last couple feet of tippet floating noticably on the surface.

Just get a pinch of mud from the bank or stream bottom and rub it on the tippet to get it to sink. The sink fluids are mostly a rip-off.

Kev

Posted on: 2013/2/28 2:02

From Johnstown, PA
In my own travels it seems as if the last six inches or so is left untreated , that is enough , feet of tippet sinking would create drag , a couple or six inches seems to work for me.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 7:04

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
In my experience, "seeing" the tippet isn't really the problem. You can tie a freakin rope onto that fly and the fish will take it just fine, so long as the rope isn't attached to the end of a rod or otherwise causing an unnatural drift.

Drag is the issue. Now, it could be drag induced by the tippet on the fly, or it could be dragging the tippet across the water surface in an unnatural way. Either will do you in.

The question of whether you want your tippet floating or sunk near the fly is thus a good one. Floating induces less drag on the fly. But sinking would hide the tippet dragging across the surface effect. I've always leaned towards wanting my tippet to be floating as high as possible. And for that reason, I tend to stay away from fluoro for dries, especially for small dries. It's stiffer, and it's denser and sinks more. Both are bad for drag. I have far more success with supple, mono tippets when fishing small dry flies.

Nymphing/streamers are a different story altogether.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 9:10

From Whitehall, PA
I'm in complete agreement with pcray. Rarely do I use even 6x tippet, resorting to 6x only for very small flies. My choice of tippet is Maxima Chameleon. To me, tippet diameter is blamed too often when trout fail to take our offerings.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 9:59

From LV
Whenever possbile I want the tippet floating when fishing a dry fly.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 12:45

Thanks guys

Will grab the mono 7x tippet on dries and not worry as much about the floating tippet - though the surface dimpling i saw was pretty extreme and didn;t seem helpful -

maybe i can buy a jar of mud for $7 somewhere

Posted on: 2013/2/28 20:38

From S.E. PA
pcray is right but I still don't grease the last 6" of tippet unless I'm skating a fly across the surface like a caddis for example.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 20:49

From South Central PA
Breaking down the variables (sunk, floating, flouro, mono, stiff, soft, 5X, 6X, etc.) the most important contributor to success will be to reposition myself in relation to the target to get "better" drifts. It is almost certain that for any given drift, the same tippet will be more visible than on other drifts irresptective of brand. On one drift the sun catches it just right and the thing sparkles. On a slightly different drift from another angle it may be barely visible. Whether that makes a difference in addition to less drag after you reposition, no one knows for sure.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 12:31

The drifts were certainly not perfect, i just had to wonder, given what i have read (especially for small flies) that some of what the trout see from below is how the dry fly "deforms" the surface film - having 12" of tippet deform the surface film seems like it gives the same effect as having a 12" antenna tied to the front of the fly - which i am sure would be frowned upon.

Did i read correctly that intentionally greasing tippet with floatant is common and doesn't seem to reduce takes?

because that would certainly poke holes in my theory.

maybe it is a case of trout vision ignoring extraneous stuff... I've heard it said that as long as the necessary buggy bits of fly are there, "extra" stuff (like hooks) get ignored

but now we are deep into trout vision psychology

Posted on: 2013/3/2 11:22

From Pittsburgh
I've always greased my tippet with mucilin paste - right up to the fly.
It's what I was taught to do from way back
And really haven't had any problems getting takes - at least that I would blame on floating tippet, anyway.
As others have mentioned - the big thing is getting a drag free float.

As for what the trout really see - I would recommend reading "In The Ring Of The Rise" - by Vince Marinaro

Posted on: 2013/3/2 11:36

From Whitehall, PA
Someone can correct me on this if they have the proper information. I believe Vince Marinaro discussed this subject in his book 'A Modern Dry Fly Code'. He and his fishing friends wondered whether a visible leader turned off trout, or whether trout refusals had more to do with drag imparted on the fly by the line and leader. They used a very stout leader material and tied four inch sections to the eyes of several reliable flies. As the story goes they dropped flies, one by one, onto the currents leading downstream to several surface feeding trout. And one by one each fly was sipped in by the trout. Their conclusion was that the trout were unconcerned with very thick leader material, as long as the flies floated naturally on the currents.

I don't have a copy of MDFC so can't verify the story.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/3/2 22:19

From Gamehendge
Drag free. I don't treat my tippet at all. Never had any problems.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 22:33

From North East PA
Quote:

mikesl wrote:

maybe i can buy a jar of mud for $7 somewhere

Mike,

I'm currently running a special on mud - one baby food jarful, shipping included for $5........

Dave

Posted on: 2013/3/3 7:17

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

PENZZZ wrote:
Someone can correct me on this if they have the proper information. I believe Vince Marinaro discussed this subject in his book 'A Modern Dry Fly Code'. He and his fishing friends wondered whether a visible leader turned off trout, or whether trout refusals had more to do with drag imparted on the fly by the line and leader. They used a very stout leader material and tied four inch sections to the eyes of several reliable flies. As the story goes they dropped flies, one by one, onto the currents leading downstream to several surface feeding trout. And one by one each fly was sipped in by the trout. Their conclusion was that the trout were unconcerned with very thick leader material, as long as the flies floated naturally on the currents.

I don't have a copy of MDFC so can't verify the story.

Jeff

It was George Harvey who did that experiment

Posted on: 2013/3/3 8:04

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com