tippet length when dry flying

westpaflyfisher

westpaflyfisher

Typically, how long should my tippet be when dry flying? Is there a standard length?

Is there a standard length?

No.

As far as end tippet material, I average between 2 and 3 ft, probably.

But a lot depends on how your leader is built, and the situation you're facing. If you have soft currents and you need a better drift, you lengthen the tippet. If that don't work, you lengthen AND go to a smaller diameter. If you are twisting up your tippet, or you are trying to squeeze a tight cast up under an overhanging branch without hanging up, then you shorten it, or make it thicker, or both.

And if your leaders are thick and stiff and "taper late", you probably need to average a longer tippet to get an appropriate drift. If you have a really soft leader, you may be able to scale back. Some also depends on your casting ability. If you can get the drift you need by altering your cast, that's better than lengthening the tippet. But if you can't, you lengthen the tippet.

This of course assuming you are trying to get a drag free drift. Sometimes I'll throw on an elk hair caddis or something and intentionally skitter the fly across the surface. That kind of thing calls for shorter tippets.

The real answer is "as long as you need it to be, but not longer".

The real answer is... as long as you can make it and have it cast properly. Make it longer than you think, if it doesn't roll over right, cut some off.

Well, seeing as this is the Beginner Forum, I think an actual numerical response is what would actually be helpful. To that end, add as much tippet as you need to have a 9 foot leader/tippet combo. When dry fly fishing with one fly I think that you'll do fine with a 10 foot length, but each time you change a fly it'll gradually get smaller until it's about 8 feet long. Once you only have a few inches of tippet left, cut off the remainder and tie on a new 2 or 3 foot section.

When you buy a leader, it's ready to go. Most are 9 feet in length. After fishing for a day it'll be down to 8 feet or less. That's a good time to tie on a few feet of tippet.

As a base length, I like my leaders/tippet combo to be the length of the rod. Give or take a foot in either direction, the entire length should span the length of your rod. Once you know how to rock and roll with a 9 foot leader I recommend playing with different lengths (as Pcray illustrated) to know what's best for which situation.

Goro's advice is sound. When starting out, I think it is advantageous to stick with a consistent leader and tippet length. This allows you to focus on your accuracy and presentation with a constant set up and removes a variable from the equation. As you progress, you'll come to recognize the scenario's that require a different leader length and be able to adapt to them more successfully having mastered the basics.

Determined by each situation

Looks like I finally bs'd someone into agreeing with me for once. Lol.

I make my tippets the length from the tip of my nose to the end of my outstretched arm. Just measured it at 38". After trimming the tag end from the blood or surgeons knot, I shout be right on 36".

From the fingertips to the nose with my arm held out to shoulder ehight. This gives me plenty of length to get a delicate presentation and enough tippet that I'm not constantly tying on new tippet. It typically tie from 4X to 5X and then to 6X so it rolls out nice and the intermediate sections are a little over a foot long so I'm not constantly repairing the leader.
Most of my fishing early in the season is with 5X tippet, if I find that conditions require 6X (low water) I'll change to 6X.

I'm rod lenght +24 inches but no less than 8'.

Joe E

Back