steelhead setup

F

ftanner

Looking for good fly selection and setup for spring steelhead in erie

It would be the same flies and setup as the fall.

Not sure when the smolts are going in to the creeks but thats when I stop considering going to Erie . It is a terrible pain keeping them off your rig, not to mention probably not healthy for them.

Yeah, pretty much the same deal as the fall.

Fly selection: lots of egg flies in various colors and sizes (sucker spawn, glo-bugs, etc.). Also, have some regular nymphs with you, they are sometimes the ticket when the fish have lockjaw. 10-16 in dark colored stoneflys and 12-16 Pheasant tails should do the trick.

Set up: You can get away with a 5 wt, but a 6 or 7 wt is ideal. The longer the better, but don't go under 9 ft. Large arbor reels are a huge help on steelies, they like to run at you during the fight and being able to keep up is important. Good drag is more important too. I use a very short taper on my leaders, with a LONG (6-7 ft) tippet. I usually indicator fish at Erie, indicator of your choice is fine, but thingamabobbers are very popular.

As always, at Erie, the key to success is timing it right. Except that snowmelt and water temperature plays a larger part of this equation than in the fall.

If you're just checking it out and need a cheap rig, I came across this the other day.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain-Cave/Fly-Fishing/Rods-Reels-Line|/pc/105591780/c/105763680/sc/105764580/Cabelas-Cahill-Fly-Rod-and-Reel-Outfit/732362.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fbargain-cave-fly-fishing-rods-reels-line%2F_%2FN-1102797%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105764580%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat105591780%253Bcat105763680&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat105591780%3Bcat105763680%3Bcat105764580

I was mainly concerned with fly selection already set up with rod and reel thanks though

I do fairly well with basic nymphs in the spring. They're all spawned out so the eggs aren't readily available. Hares Ears, Pheasant tail and Princes are my go to's. Have some stones and caddis too. I don't do very well with streamers, but others do so some buggers and a few all white streamers will do. The key there is getting the flies down, so don't be afraid to toss on some fairly large split shots. Some guys high stick, but thingamabobbers are pretty popular. If you head up, let us know how you do.

I wouldn't say that. I remember catching plenty of fish in March that were full of eggs, and there's plenty being laid, so actually I think there are more natural eggs than in the fall.

That said, I do agree that nymphing is of greater use in the spring than the fall, I just think it has more to do with the fish being in the stream a while, and either getting used to stream foods or else just having seen 1 too many egg imitations, lol.

pcray1231 wrote:
I think there are more natural eggs than in the fall.

If we are talking erie, I agree. In waterways that hold salmon and fall spawning trout, I would guess that it's the opposite.

I think the fall = eggs logic was developed in places like that, and unnecessarily applied to erie.

Plus spring is when the suckers run...I see people use sucker spawn all season with success. But if you are trying to match naturally available food sources, spring is the time for sucker spawn!

good call David. I always do a lot better in the fall with single eggs and SS are a big backup. The suckers can actually be pretty good in the spring too up there.

Ryan

I have had great success with fishing nothing but egg imitations and this year with the white booger... used to use glo bugs, now nothing but moe roe. Egg immitation with flash inside indifferent sizes (6 mil and 8 mil) with a thingamabobber and weight to get down...and can say with certainty that it works when other things seem not to be working.

Back