Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: questions about line weights

From SEPA
I was under the suspicion he was going to buy a new line?

Meh, whichever. I'm still right. I'm always right.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 20:56

the wild water rods are pretty stiff and don't have a lot of feeling in them at their designated line rating. That, plus being a newbie, i'd get a 5wt line. Allen FF, a site sponsor, has what you need, at the right price. also, head to your local fly shop and get yourself a new reel. bring the rod with you to match it up (balance it out)and don't spend alot - look for okumas or entry level reels. They should also hook you up with leaders and explain the difference between them and tippet. Oh, they will have flies there too.
:) Get some nymphs and wolly buggers. Also, ask the shop for some indicators and inquire on the leaders needed for that, where your spinning mono will work. Learn blood knots and perfections loops, assuming you know how to tie on a fly.
depending on where you are located, I'm sure a forum member could help you through the learning process.
Welcome to PAFF!

Posted on: 2010/12/30 22:02

From Berks
I'm going to PM you some info, but as far as that reel goes, it looks kinda small. I second taking it to a shop and having them give it the once over. If it does turn out to be to small for the 4wt, I would suggest shelling out $25 and get a Medalist. It's cheap, built like a tank and will probably outlast you. :)

Posted on: 2010/12/30 22:47

www.flyfishinado.blogspot.com Fly Fishing Blog

From Westmoreland Co
I'm going to give what might be unpopular advice. Like in most sports or hobbies, we tend to overcomplicate things and make it seem harder than it is. Fly fishing is a lifelong process of learning. Without going to extremes, the line weight to rod match will matter a lot when you are laying out lots of line. As a beginner, keep it in close and learn to manage the line on the water. The reel just holds line and most guys I see strip in line by hand and unless you hook a really big one, reel drag and backing don't come into play. For leader, I got hooked on furled leaders. One will last for a couple of years and you only need 4x and 6x tipper to start. Just keep replacing the tippet. Most importantly, try to get on the water with someone that knows what they are doing and can teach you a bit. I'll bet most of the guys on this site learned to flyfish with sub-optimal gear and honed their craft over many years. Get the best equip you can reasonably afford and enjoy the sport. It is a terrific pursuit.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 23:02

As a beginner I would say no don't over or underline your rod without consulting a shop as to what will give you the fastest learning curve. Some old reels are very heavy and therefore are not well suited to todays fly rods. You may want to get a new reel matched to the rods recommended line weights. Try several reels it will help your casting immensely getting the euipment right from the beginning.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 22:10

From SEPA
Can I still go on here? Can I just reinforce ideas? Spend the $15-50 on a line that maches your rod. Spend another $5 on some tapered leaders and 5x tippet. A $1 buys you some stick on foam indicators (I can already hear the gnashing of teeth in the other posters). Another $20 on some sz14 and 16 flies. A rural Walmart will work just fine here. Or whatever store you have handy. Hare's Ears and Pheasant Tails (both nymphs/wets), no one can argue with those. Some wooly buggers coz they're fun to say and versatile. Adamses and Wulffs (both dries), neither of which is very useful right now but they're fun to use. Remember, its winter, and the fish are just a nice way of reinforcing the fun of fly fishing, the real joy is standing in a ice cold stream, in freezing wind, waving a stick above your head while ice forms on the rod. That's fun. No kidding!

Make your next post about how to cast. Sweet babby Jesus, don't ask about what flies to buy.... its winter, we're bored, and it'll get way confusing.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 22:40

From Bozeman
That post describes my first few years fly fishing, down to the pinch on indicators.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 22:48

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com