Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

practice casting

From lower burrell, pa
Would you guys reccomend practicing with a leader/ tippet on or just the fly line?
I was searching but didnt see anything. Hey Ryan if you keep talent in stock at the shop let me know

Posted on: 2012/12/2 13:43

Re: practice casting

From Landenberg PA
I practice with a leader and a small piece of hi-vis colored yarn tied to the end.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 13:51

From Ferguson Twp.
Yep, when I'm in the yard I use leader and tippet same as on the water.
I started off using a piece of yarn like stated above then got the idea to use a fly just snip the hook off at the very start of the bend, although that tends to get stuck in the grass from time to time though. Piece of yarn is far better than the fly.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 16:39

From Ohio
Always practice with a leader. One day I went to try out a new line I bought and it shot out very fast and just didn't feel right overall. Once I put a leader on it casted perfectly. The leader definitely affects your casting.

Although I don't really practice my casting anymore, I always preffered having a fly at the end of the line. When it got hooked on something I could pretend I had a monster fish on LOL. Seriously though, a piece of yarn is fine or a bright colored fly such as a glo bug and cut the point and bend off.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 17:06

From Greensburg, Pa
I am still learning and still do a lot of practice casting. I always use a leader and tippet.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 20:21

From Morrisville
$4.99 at Cabelas Since it is brightly colored it may help correcting casting issues.

Attach file:

jpg  s7_322348_999_01.jpg (27.04 KB)
4027_50bc82edab412.jpg 191X300 px

Posted on: 2012/12/3 5:46

From lower burrell, pa
Thanks for the responses

Posted on: 2012/12/3 6:52

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
All the talent over here is often over exaggerated! If I have time this Spring, I'll try to do the newbie JAM again at the Neshannock. Couldn't do it last year with my son being born, but might be able to organize it again this coming Spring. Had fly tying, knots and leaders, casting, gear, and entomology. I'll put a post up if I can manage the event and you'll have to attend. Maye I'll try to arrange it around the grannoms so we can fish (a nice afternoon hatch) after the lessons.

Ryan

Posted on: 2012/12/3 12:28

From lower burrell, pa
sounds great my Flinstone fingers should be perfect for tying lol

Posted on: 2012/12/3 13:13

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, definitely with leader on.

I've done the yarn thing and it's ok. But while it doesn't hang up, it's "floatier" than a real fly. It doesn't act realistic for me. Too much surface area, not enough weight, I guess.

Of course, as was said, if you just cut the hook off, you solve that problem but it will still catch on grass and so forth.

No perfect answer, you gotta deal with one or the other. But leader with some sort of visible "fly", yes, absolutely.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 14:42

From Christiana, Delaware
I use a piece of foam tied on instead of yarn. I cut it small like I would if it was a beatle/fly. It cuts through the air nicer than yarn.

The foam you use to make beatles with. It's thin. It's cheap. It comes n many colors. I think you can get a sheet at a craft store for about a dollar or maybe even 50 cents.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 14:57

From LV
You won't learn anything by casting a fly line without the leader and tippet on, I will even use a fly that has a broken hook on the end to really get my accuracy down. I practice fairly often in the yard casting to leaves and other yard debris.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 18:08

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
You won't learn anything by casting a fly line without the leader and tippet on, I will even use a fly that has a broken hook on the end to really get my accuracy down. I practice fairly often in the yard casting to leaves and other yard debris.
+1

Posted on: 2012/12/3 22:40

From The Frozen Tundra of WI
Put some upside down Frisbees and or hula hoops at 5 to 10 foot increments at different angles and cast to them. this will help your eye cast coordination and help with your ability to cast to specific distances. Leader and hook-less fly or yarn indicator definitely help.

Posted on: 2012/12/4 1:12

From Philadelphia PA
Quote:

N8ureboy wrote:
Put some upside down Frisbees and or hula hoops at 5 to 10 foot increments at different angles and cast to them. this will help your eye cast coordination and help with your ability to cast to specific distances. Leader and hook-less fly or yarn indicator definitely help.

Iv'e casted to bowls, pots and anything else I can put in the frontyard. And the smaller the target the better. I will tie on one of my flies as well. A couple of dollars invested in my learning to me is well spent.

Posted on: 2012/12/4 16:55
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com