Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

nymph's

From corry pa.
I;m new to fly fishing and want to do some fishing this weekend. what nymph;s would be good this time of year and what size?

Posted on: 9/8 11:40

Re: nymph's

From Southeast, PA
I'd try some general patterns such as (in parenthesis are sizes if I could only choose one for the sake of simplicity):
Pheasant tails 18
Prince nymphs 14
Walts worm 14
Hares ear 16
Zebra midge 20
Scuds 16

And not a nymph but San Juan worms on a Size 12 hook. Rainbows love em'.

Keep it simple while you are starting out and don't worry too much about matching the hatch perfectly. The flies mentioned look like many species of nymphs in general. Fish them with confidence and you should hook into some fish after a few outings.

More importantly, adjust your depth and weight frequently- it's more important than the pattern itself. Try to get it so you are ticking bottom but not hanging up on every cast (hanging up sometimes is okay and let's you know you are down where the fish are). Don't worry about losing flies. Get a good drift in the right place and an opportunistic trout will take it, and don't get discouraged if you dont find success right away!

Posted on: 9/11 18:36

From corry pa.
thanks for the info really appreciate it. the thing that's drives me nuts about fly fishing is all the knots you need to know. I;ve tried the loops that you heat shrink on and had no luck at all with those so I guess I will have to learn all those knots.

Posted on: 9/11 23:42

From Mill Hall
You only need a few knots at first. Perfection loop and improved clinch. Everything after that is just a bonus.

Posted on: 9/12 6:56

From Morgantown, PA
Quote:

kobalt335 wrote:
You only need a few knots at first. Perfection loop and improved clinch. Everything after that is just a bonus.

Yep. Add a double surgeon's (just a double overhand knot basically) for stepping down tippet and you can do everything you need with those 3. That's all I use, and sometimes I catch fish, even nymphing.

Posted on: 9/12 8:11

From corry pa.
my biggest pain in the butt knot is the nail knot to tie leader to fly line.

Posted on: 9/12 11:04

From Morgantown, PA
Quote:

chucksportster wrote:
my biggest pain in the butt knot is the nail knot to tie leader to fly line.

Try using a loop to loop setup with perfection loops on both ends. You can even get fly lines with the loops pre-manufactured in. Just tie a small perfection loop in the end of your leader. A furled leader works well for this. Doesn't noticeably affect casting/presentation performance IMO unless you're a legit pro caster...which I'm not.

Posted on: 9/12 11:23

From Mill Hall
That is the only way I connect my leader to fly line. I have never had any issue with presentation or the welded loops breaking.

Posted on: 9/12 13:57

From Granville
I'm all for loop to loop connections too. I have never used or tied a nail knot. I'll agree that a clinch knot, double surgeons, and perfection loop are all you really need. There are many more I tie and use, but not all that often in most fishing. I'm a super knot junkie though and tie a ton of knots in rope but those are a different story.

Posted on: 9/13 21:34

From Southeast, PA
Any thoughts on double vs triple surgeons?

Posted on: 9/13 22:31

From Burke VA
Triple is stronger but you're more likely to weaken the line when tying it. Make sure to lubricate and tighten from all four ends. Just pulling the tag ends tight will make the knot fail for sure. If you're new to knot tying get comfortable with double for a while before the triple. It's a great, simple and strong knot either way.

Posted on: 9/13 22:56

From Lancaster
I've been using a double surgeons knot for years to connect sections of a hand tied leader. I agree that lubricating the knot while drawing it tight and making sure it seats properly is the key to any good knot. I've landed many 20 lb carp on leaders tied with double surgeons knots and never remember one failing for me. I've had knots at the fly fail and have straightened out many hooks while fighting heavy carp. The double surgeon knot is a good strong knot and very simple to tie.

Posted on: 9/14 7:27

From Lewistown
I have only used double surgeon's knots in the past and haven't had a break. I switched to furled leaders with a looped end and a small tippet ring a year ago or so and haven't switched back. Much easier to add and change tippet.

Posted on: 9/14 11:39

For line to leader connection, braided loop has treated me well for 30 years. Might have had one failure during that time period. It goes through the guides much easier and smoother than nail knot / perfection loop. The downside is that it's a PITA to attach. I cut approx 1/3 of the braided sleeve off. Inchworm the line into the sleeve. I then take a nail knot tool and tie nail knots with fluoro. 5-6 evenly spaced knots of 2x. Trim it close so it doesn't gather algae and you're done. You can then attach leader by loop to loop or by improved clinch. Zips right through the guides. I believe Cortland makes a standard and floating version. I usually nip off welded loop, zap the end of the line and then add the loop. I've tried just about every method and this is by far the best at going g through the guides.

Nothing worse than getting the leader connection into the guides and the fish makes one last run.... breaking you off. I can post pics if anyone wants to try it but isn't clear on how to make it happen.

For sink tips, I've done the same, added a few drops of zap a gap and colored it black with a sharpie so it blends in better.

Posted on: 9/14 14:42

From Southeast, PA
Quote:
Triple is stronger but you're more likely to weaken the line when tying it. Make sure to lubricate and tighten from all four ends. Just pulling the tag ends tight will make the knot fail for sure. If you're new to knot tying get comfortable with double for a while before the triple. It's a great, simple and strong knot either way.

No problem tying it and seating it properly, it's what I use for my dropper tags typically. JW as certain "improved" knots are actually weaker than their predecessors, like the improved clinch for instance (from what I've heard, I never bothered with extra step... If I wanted a stronger similar not I just use a trilene)

Posted on: 9/14 17:59

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com