newbie question, is there good trout fishing in the northeast of pa in august and September?

B

bocast

Not knowing anything about fishing in northeast pa, I will likely be in that area, ranging as far south as Lehighton, in August. Do the water temps stay good for safe fishing of trout? What waters stay cool so that I wouldn't stress the fish playing them?

I'm not an accomplished fly fisherman, and my cast is often entertaining to onlookers...but I do play fish fairly quickly, catching and releasing gently, always on barbless hooks.

I'll contact some fly shops listed on this site to ask, too.

I'll be happy to target brookies or browns, large or small, or any water that affords me the chance to wet a line and the fish a sporting chance to live and grow larger.

There is good fishing in August and September. The tricos are around in August and September and then bwo and streamer fishing picks up a bit. You do have to watch stream temps though.

Do you have any idea where and what streams? "Northeast" covers a lot of territory. Some streams will be ok while others aren't worth the bother.

There is always warm water fishing as well.

Thank you for the response. I was hoping to target streams based on the answer to that question. I'll go to the streams which are most likely to have fishable temperatures, thermometer at ready. However, since I don't know the area I have no idea which streams stay fishable in those months. I don't mind arranging my travel to target those streams, whichever they may be.

(I was using the region "northeast" as defined in this forum, in the "where to fish" segment. I know I will visit Lehighton, Jim Thorpe and then probably head north and seek the highest streams I can find on maps. As I am from Ohio, I know nothing of the area but am trying to research it.)

Are there waters which usually stay relatively cooler than most?

If you plan on fishing around Lehighton/Jim Thorpe send me a pm. I may know a thing or two about that area.

You'll be a lot further south than than the area I fish but from what I know of that area you'll have plenty of options. The Lehigh and Pohopoco are close. The Pohopoco is cold below Beltzville dam. And you'll be fairly close to some spring creeks.

In general, larger streams warm up. There are plenty of smallish, high gradient, forested, freestone streams in the region that really don't get that much above 60, and are plenty cold year round.

Limestoners and tailwaters can throw a curve ball to the general rules, and allow cold temperatures on larger streams, or in streams that aren't as shaded. You don't have much in the way of limestoners in that region. As far as tailwaters, each one is very different, so you just have to learn the trends of that particular waterway.

Thank you all. Your help is much appreciated. I'll look for high gradient, shaded small streams, large tailwaters, and spring creeks.

In general the fishing is slower in August then any other month, but if you're on a wild trout stream there will be fishing. IT won't be good during the heat of the day or during days with high bright sun. Look for days with partly cloudy skies and even days that are rainy.
Sept. can be the best fishing of the year.
Much of the fishing during those 2 months is dependent on flows and water temps, so carrying a stream thermometer is important.

I will certainly carry a thermometer. Thanks for the tips.

There is several up in Pikes County that are catch and release and spring fed that are decent. I think the one I went to was Adams Creek.

The Delaware River?

Back