Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: new guy in SW PA has ?'s

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
You're gonna get a lot of different answers on the leader/tippet brand thing, and none of them are wrong. We all have our pet brands, have different skill levels, and fish under different circumstances. Bottom line is all of the major brands will work just fine, I don't think there are any real duds to speak of. Differences between them are mainly the taper, and stiffness of the material. Basically, there's a trade-off there. Easier casting/turnover or better presentation? For tippets, softer, limper material gives better presentation, and stiffer material turns over better (i.e. easier to cast). Think you just have to see where you fall over time.

FWIW, I make my own leaders based off formulas, so do many others, and I'm sure we'll all be willing to share if you're interested. I tend to gravitate towards shorter tapers made with stiff leader materials (maxima chameleon) coupled with a long soft tippets (Rio Powerflex), trying to get the best of both worlds, to varying degrees of success.

But to start, get a premade knotless tapered leader and a few spools of tippet of your choice. That would do you just fine till you figure out what you're looking for.

As far as connections, lots of ways to connect the leader to the fly line. All of them are fine. I cut off the loop on the fly line and use a nail knot. This is a tough knot that I couldn't do streamside, but in the comfort of my home I can do it, and usually only need to make 1 or 2 per year as I leave the butt section on till it gets too short Loop to loop connections are fine, and there are other suitable knots and marketed devices as well.

For leader to tippet connections, you'll be tying knots. Blood knot, triple surgeons, this goes back to that question before. Thats what its used for.

Posted on: 2011/2/4 12:59

From Montgomery County
Any tapered leader will work... knotted or otherwise. If there's no loop in the butt end, you can easily learn the perfection loop. To start off, I'd just get a couple 7.5' and a couple 9' foot leaders tapered to 4 or 5x. Brand doesn't matter so much since you'll only be using the tippet they provide for a short while. After you start running out of tippet, you'll want to attach some 4 or 5x to the leader via blood knot or triple surgeons. Any brand name mono tippet is probably a good choice to start off. Scientific Anglers, Umpqua, etc.

Posted on: 2011/2/4 13:09

From Florida
I mostly use Rio and Orvis tippet material, but any major brand should do fine. If you can, check the dates on the tippet spools at the fly shop, and buy the ones with the most recent date.

When warmer weather comes, avoid leaving your tippet spools in your car; the heat and UV rays from sunlight can weaken tippet material in short order (at least IME).

Posted on: 2011/2/4 13:53

- Ray Bergman

From Lewistown
Buy a tapered leader and a spool of 4x and 5x.
Brand: a beginer cannot go wrong with rio powerflex. It's cheap, strong, gives on hard strikes, rocks, and tree branches, oh and it's cheap.

I still use powerflex from time to time although prefer floroflex from rio, but it's three times the cost and like $40 for guide spools.

One tapered 7.5' 4x leader and 2 spools of tippet will last you a couple years.

Posted on: 2011/2/4 14:06

From Montgomery County
Years out of a leader? Must be nice. I like thingamabobbers but they'll render your leader useless in only a few outings.

Posted on: 2011/2/4 15:20

From Lewistown
I have had the same nymph leader for 5 years now. Just add 3, 4, and 5x when needed.

Posted on: 2011/2/4 16:19

my thoughts exactly mckern , if a trout snaps my 25lb chameleon i am giving up ..lol

Posted on: 2011/2/4 17:34

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Welcome aboard Ryan. There are a few of us in the Greensburg area. The Gander Store has a pretty good Fly section. Keep posting and asking questions. Hopefully the weather will break soon and we can do some fishing.

Posted on: 2011/2/4 21:02

From LV
The knot with the most strength for connecting 2 peices of leader together is a surgeons not, it's very easy to tie.
As for retrieve of line when a fish is on, I want all big trout on the reel, I'd say that is anything larger than 13 inches, but that's just a rough guestimate. there are no hard fast rules for this. It's just your preference.
I live in the eastern half ofthe state, so I'd be no help to you when you go out fishing.
For small streams you'll want a shorter rod, I use a 7'6" rod most of the time. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/2/4 22:32

From Eastern PA
I like putting them on the reel. No real reason not to imo.

Surgeons knot.

Rio Powerflex unless you have Orvis and $25 off $50 coupons then Orvis SS is right there. 9' 5x leader. Remember the last 2' of leader already has the tippet built in. After you loose a foot or two due to changing flies and wind knots, start adding a few feet of 5x tippet.

Posted on: 2011/2/4 23:31

As far as tippet- make sure it is wet when you pull your knots tight or you'll get curly q's in line.

Flouro line for me is easier to work with for knots but it is a little more expensive, if a few extra couple bucks does'nt break you that's the way I would go especially for subsurface nymph fishing-which basically is what you'll be doing until April.

You can but the bigger and cheaper spools of line once you get a feel for it if you like.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 9:03

From florida
Welcome aboard Ryan.Good advice from the board members.
just have fun .GG

Posted on: 2011/2/5 11:05

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Fluoro is good stuff, doesn't degrade with time, and better knot strength.

But, it's denser and doesn't float. It's also a bit stiffer than a good copolymer (most supposedly "mono" tippets are actually copolymers). So, overall, for dry fly fishing you'll get a fair bit more drag.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 13:29

From Montgomery County
If they're a decent sized fish, I like to put them on the reel... for no other reason than it justifies my purchase of a $200 four weight reel

Posted on: 2011/2/5 16:34

From Greensburg, PA
haha.. i tell you what guys.. i'm practicing these blood knots. it sure would be nice if fishing line was as thick and limp as the shoelaces with which these videos show you how to do it. lol arrggggghhh! patience patience..

Posted on: 2011/2/7 17:14

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com