leader pocket guide

K

Kyloe

At the Newbie Jam I picked up the brochure titled "A Basic Primer on Fly Fishing Leaders for Trout". Wish I had the time to get it deciphered. For instance, the use of ~ at the end of a line, i.e. Butt=Energy Transfer ~ 60%. What does this mean?

Also, the three charts titled Dry, Nymph & Wet leaders what do the numbers in the boxes mean?

I think this brochure has valuable info but it is not intuitively obvious just what it is saying.

Many thanks to those who will choose to help a newbie over these deliberations.

Kyloe wrote:
At the Newbie Jam I picked up the brochure titled "A Basic Primer on Fly Fishing Leaders for Trout". Wish I had the time to get it deciphered. For instance, the use of ~ at the end of a line, i.e. Butt=Energy Transfer ~ 60%. What does this mean?

Also, the three charts titled Dry, Nymph & Wet leaders what do the numbers in the boxes mean?

I think this brochure has valuable info but it is not intuitively obvious just what it is saying.

Many thanks to those who will choose to help a newbie over these deliberations.

Hi Kyloe,
That is my brochure, and I wish I could have found a way to make it simplier and still contain all of the necessary information. It was intended to be used along with the presentation that I had, but there really was not time for that, so I'm sure yu might have a few questions. To answer you specific questions, the numbers in the boxes are the length in inches of each leader segment. The tilde symbol (~) is commonly used to denote an approximate equality. So the statement Butt = Energy Transfer ~ 60% means that the butt section of the leader is the same thing as the energy transfer section of the leader, and comprises about 60% or the overall length.
I did put my email address on the front of the brochure, so feel free to contact me directly if I can answer any other questions about the brochure. More general leader questions should be kept here so all can weigh in.
Mike.

By the way, if anyone wants a copy of the brochure or the presentation send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you a PDF file. It is an admittedly biased treatment and is by no means complete, but it has enough information and resources to get started if you really want to delve into the topic of leaders.
Mike.

pmd! @ frequenttyer

Back