HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: how to
From Gettysburg
Quote:

hof52 wrote:
Pretty simple question..Whats the best way to tie a tandem nymph rig i no its a common thing to do im just not sure how to go about it.
Thanks
adam

hof52,
As you can see, sometimes a basic question here on the Beginner's Forum can result in some complicated answers and general disagreement among responders. Fly fishing is a complex sport and that's a big part of its appeal. By all means try the different approaches here (tying to either the eye of the hook or the bend) and see which is easiest and best for you.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 7:18

From Chester County
I have a lot of success doing it this way:

dropper fly
_________/_________point fly

I use the bottom tag of a surgeons knot for the dropper. To be honest, this rig catches more fish for me than tying to the bend or eye of the fly. Fly-fishermen for the last 100 years or so mostly used droppers to fish multiple flies and today's competition fishermen rig this way.

Only the fish know for sure, though....

Posted on: 2013/3/15 7:33

From Dauphin
man some of these answers make it more confusing even for me.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 12:01

From Philadelphia PA
afishinado: I'm not following what you wrote. Would you go into better detail for us all?

Posted on: 2013/3/15 12:29
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Portage, PA
"Absolutely. However do you literally tie your tippet to the hook bend versus the eye? I am sure you don't. "

Was speaking about attaching the point/anchor fly. WHat idiot would actually think you would tie the tippet directly to the hook bend on you first fly.

How many beers did you have before you got on the site last night?

Posted on: 2013/3/15 13:50

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
I have a lot of success doing it this way:

dropper fly
_________/_________point fly

I use the bottom tag of a surgeons knot for the dropper. To be honest, this rig catches more fish for me than tying to the bend or eye of the fly. Fly-fishermen for the last 100 years or so mostly used droppers to fish multiple flies and today's competition fishermen rig this way.

Only the fish know for sure, though....

This

EDIT: afish do you prefer a double or triple? Think Heritage once said one was different from the other because of the way it offests the tag end? I forget and will ask him tomorrow if you or him do not respond.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 14:32

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I think afish's rig is like the one I described. Not sure the details of how he attaches the dropper tag, and what knots he uses. Mine is:

Heavier tippet-->(blood knot)-->lighter tippet --> (clinch knot) to point fly.

At blood knot between heavier and lighter tippets, leave long tag end on heavier tippet. Attach dropper to that.

When dropper gets too short, snip it off. Clinch knot new heavier tippet directly to line ABOVE the blood knot.

Because everyone does it different, I always see confusion regarding the term "dropper fly". In this rig, the end fly is termed the point fly. The dropper(s) is UP the line from it. I've used it on dry droppers too, and the dry is the dropper, the nymph is the point!

If attaching from the bend per the other method, then the dropper is the end fly, i.e. the point and dropper are one and the same.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 14:45

From Chester County
Here is a real diagram of the rig I use (below). Ususally one fly on the point (end) and one on the dropper tag. I use the lower tag end on a triple surgeons knot (a double surgeons works too, but as Mr. Schaefer says it doesn't lie as flat) Pcray uses a blood knot which works just as well, but I find the surgeons easier to tie.

Attach file:

jpg  czech%20nymphing rig.jpg (55.31 KB)
53_51438fc4dc626.jpg 792X617 px

Posted on: 2013/3/15 17:17

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Think Heritage once said one was different from the other because of the way it offests the tag end?

Yup, there's a difference. The tag on a double surgeon's knot sticks out at a greater angle from the connection than the triple surgeon.

This keeps the dropper away from the rest of the tippet, and helps reduce tangles.

I prefer to use the bottom tag of the knot for the dropper, as this is the heavier of the two tags, and like to keep it short (3 to 5"), as this also helps keep the tag from twisting around the tippet.

This is nothing new, and while the comps guys do this, wet fly fishermen have been doing this for centuries.

If you want to add a dropper to a rig that doesn't have one, all you have to do is clinch knot a short piece of tippet around the leader above a knot. Instant dropper. There's other knots that allow the dropper to "swivel" around the tippet too (not comp legal though). Lots of options...

Posted on: 2013/3/15 18:11

From Ferguson Twp.
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
[quote]

If you want to add a dropper to a rig that doesn't have one, all you have to do is clinch knot a short piece of tippet around the leader above a knot. Instant dropper. There's other knots that allow the dropper to "swivel" around the tippet too (not comp legal though). Lots of options...

I like this option quite a bit, a couple people mentioned this so it must work well. I'm going to give that a try, better than reworking the leader for sure. Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 18:57

From SW PA
wow thanks for all the info looks like i have a lot of options to try
adam

Posted on: 2013/3/15 20:53

From Gamehendge
It's only as complicated as you want it to be.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 21:17

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
If you do a dropper like myself, afish, and many others here, as Heritage Angler says, one of the keys is length and diameter of the dropper. You wanna use thicker tippet and keep it short, or else it'll wrap around the main leader.

Also, nomatter how you do it, lots of shot and multiple flies significantly increases the likelihood of tangles. And not the unwrap type of tangles, we're talking the nasty, cut your line and rebuild type. To avoid this, don't go nuts on the casting. Open loops, just a flip really.

Posted on: 2013/3/16 20:15

From Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Here is a link about fishing tandem setups:

http://midcurrent.com/books/fishing-t ... flies-other-combinations/

Also, use to have a difficult time tying clinch knots to the tend of the hook until I followed this free hand method:

http://www.mudbugco.com/flyfish/index ... atid=38:fishing&Itemid=73

I hope this helps.

Don

Posted on: 2013/3/17 9:56

From Altoona
I really like the method Afish and pcray use. I don't like to tie tandem rigs off of the bend of the hook, so I've been tying a clinch knot on the first fly and leaving a long tag end and attaching the second fly to that. But I might switch it up and try it off the surgeon's knot. Proves you learn something new every day!

Posted on: 2013/3/17 22:44

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com