heading to little lehigh

J

johnh

Well here we go. I am taking my son for his first time ever and for me my first time also fly fishing on the little lehigh. Dont know much at all bout fly fishing but thanks to a few pointers from some of you on here just wanna go out and see what we can do.you never know we might get lucky and get one

Let us have an update.

Nothing but thats what I was expecting. I didnt see anyone doing much though. We did learn alot. Dave from the fly shop told us alot we need to know. Thank you for that important info.Did not do much fishing because our leader and tippet kept on knoting., is that bc its the junk leader that was spooled on the reel bc I bought a cheap setup at wallmart for my son or was it bc of our technique.

it could be either - go back to the fly shop with the rod and reel and get the leader changed and get the shop dude to look at your cast.

if you can afford it ask about a casting lesson for you both. its a good investment that you'll be grateful for in time.

the best of luck to you both.

Mark.

I just saw this post now. I saw you with your son today, but did not know. Your some was like 7-10? Would have tried to give you a hand.

Thanks mark and will look into it.
Sbecker yeah that was me and my son he is 8. Yeah im alittle shy and feel weird bc im older and c I dont know much bout flying. I saw the 2 big groups of guys. Next time I will ask alot more people bc when I left. I was talking to a dude for a half hour and he showed me some stuff. Its awesome that all you guys will talk and teach people how to fly and do everything. Whenever I went spinning and you ask guys its a big secret everything what they used and where they were. What. A diffence with the group of guys its weird its still the same sport.

Yea most of us on here would help anybody out. There are a few old grumps that don't like being around people, but you would never see them on the L.L.

I'm not so sure about Dave at the fly shop. I asked him what he thought about me using an slow sinking Airflo Poly Leader with my streamers, and he said "you only need a sinking tip if you're fishing in the ocean." He suggested I put a couple of split shots on my leader instead.

Wow, really Dave? That poly leader is 5ft long and weighs 20 grains. How much do you think those split shot weigh?

BTW: I fished the Little Lehigh today-Jan. 12- near the Police Academy, and caught 3 small brown trout on a #6 black wooley bugger (with my "ocean leader").

Do yourself a favor. Study, do your homework, develop some basic fishing skills, spend as much time as you can on the stream, and learn from your own experience. Other people's opinions will have you running around in circles.

SharkyOhio wrote:
I'm not so sure about Dave at the fly shop. I asked him what he thought about me using an slow sinking Airflo Poly Leader with my streamers, and he said "you only need a sinking tip if you're fishing in the ocean." He suggested I put a couple of split shots on my leader instead.

Wow, really Dave? That poly leader is 5ft long and weighs 20 grains. How much do you think those split shot weigh?

I would Say Dave is right - split shot fall almost vertically, as they have little resistance. sinking lines sink gradually.

two guys filmed sinking lines against a measured pole on a river - the difference between a fast sink and a floater was like 18" to 2ft.

even when mended downstream the lines just don't sink in moving water.

some guides use 3ft of T-20...

That's where I've got you. Because I used the poly leader with about 4 ft of flourocarbon tippet and one #6 Dinsmores egg shot placed on that tippet about 18 inches above the streamer. Also, it might be worth mentioning that I was using a 9-foot, 5 weight rod with flooating WF line. This is my basic "spring creek" streamer rig.

The point I was trying to make to Boyertown is to remember that there is usually more than one way to get the job done. The "correct" way is a matter of opinion; talk to five guys, and you most likely get five different "expert opinions".

There is no substitute for personal experience. Dave would have you believe that there is no place for sinking leaders in spring creek fishing; this is simply not true. And why does he say this? Maybe because he has never tried to use one?

What will he say next? Will he say wet flies won't work because he doesn't know how to fish them?

SharkyOhio wrote:
Dave would have you believe that there is no place for sinking leaders in spring creek fishing; this is simply not true. And why does he say this? Maybe because he has never tried to use one?

What will he say next? Will he say wet flies won't work because he doesn't know how to fish them?

Sharky - You're doing a lot of negative speculating about one of the nicest people you'll ever find in a fly shop.

Do you need a sinking poly leader to fish streamers on the LL? No.
Can you use a sinking poly leader to fish streamers on the Little Lehigh? Sure.

As you stated, there's usually more than one way to get the job done. You could always tie heavily weighted buggers, use a shorter leader, and skip the shot and sink tip. Endless options.

Crucifying someone for suggesting using a few cents worth of shot versus paying $9 for a poly leader is baffling.

FWIW, I've known and fished with Dave for decades. Good luck on trying to outfish him using wetflies. :lol:

I was baffled by Dave's comment about "the ocean". Clearly, this was an underhanded insult. You see, if I want to run streamers in that creek, then I'll do it my way. I'll run a 350 grain sink tip on a 9 wt saltwater rod in there if I feel like it. Why not? I'll dredge the deepest holes and put a streamer where no one else can.

Regarding your comment about "out fishing Dave"; I'm not in competition with him or anyone else. Why do guys like you always want to turn everything into a competition?

Also, I am not being negative and I'm not "crucifying" anyone. I'm merely sharing my experiences on an open forum; a beginner forum.

Here is a question Sharky. If you don't care how you fish certain streams and you seem fairly knowledgable on the subject of streamer fishing...........Why did you ask him what he thought? I mean obviously you know what your doing and you don't care for his opinion? Least I gathered from these couple posts you do. O well, troll away. I like to every now and then.

Btw, your review of the utter devastation to your neighborhood after Sandy was mesmorizing. I couldn't stop looking at the damage to your fence. Awesome

SharkyOhio wrote:
I was baffled by Dave's comment about "the ocean". Clearly, this was an underhanded insult. .

possibly, some people don't think saltwater fly fishing or even atlantic salmon flyfishing is 'proper' flyfishing. :roll:

but that said, i'd think a guy who runs a successful fly shop on the banks of any river, would know the best way for a noob to catch fish on that river.

as we know, there are many ways to skin a cat though so he didn't necessarily steer you wrong. and as i said i agree with him - you did after all have to use an egg too no ?

it doesn't mean either or you is 'wrong' though...

SharkyOhio wrote:
Why do guys like you always want to turn everything into a competition?

Really? Three posts, and you've managed to insult someone in each one.

Sweet.

From the site policies and guidelines:

"Deliberate insults, personal attacks, and lewd comments are not welcome for any reason."

"Why did you ask him what he thought?"

You're right. I don't know why I asked.

The truth is...I'm a frustrated southern, saltwater fly fisherman stranded in PA...and trying to make the best of it.

The whole spring creek thing is just not for me. I think I'm going to wait for Spring time, and focus on warm water fly fishing.

I also have this idea that I might be able to use that 9 wt with a Teeny T-300 to streamer fish for stripers in the Delaware River below Trenton.

As for my previous comments, I stand by everything I said. I'm not "trolling" and I'm not hiding from anyone...even Youtube stalkers.

SharkyOhio wrote:
"Why did you ask him what he thought?"

You're right. I don't know why I asked.

The truth is...I'm a frustrated southern, saltwater fly fisherman stranded in PA...and trying to make the best of it.

The whole spring creek thing is just not for me. I think I'm going to wait for Spring time, and focus on warm water fly fishing.

I also have this idea that I might be able to use that 9 wt with a Teeny T-300 to streamer fish for stripers in the Delaware River below Trenton.

As for my previous comments, I stand by everything I said. I'm not "trolling" and I'm not hiding from anyone...even Youtube stalkers.

Google is an amazing thing.

Word of advice....don't come on to a pretty established forum with a lot of helpful guys, and start attacking people your first few posts. Tends to get ugly. Especially in the beginners forum. If you are having a hard time adapting to the type of fishing you are somewhat forced to do, it might be better to come and ask a few questions. Mostly everybody would try to help you. However, if you know everything all ready, what's the point?

If you only knew what it's like to hook an 18 lb redfish in 2 feet of water on a 7wt rod...yes I do miss fishing in SE Louisiana...

I didn't attack anyone. Where did you see name calling or any other "attack"? Is it such an insult to simply disagreed with or question the advice rendered by your fly fishing mentor. I didn't say he was a bad guy. I didn't say he was a dishonest guy. I didn't attack him personally.

I didn't say I know it all. However, I do know how to get a streamer down to the depth I want to fish it, and I disagree with Dave's assessment of the situation. That's all.

The only thing ugly here is your reaction to someone bringing something new to the table.

Right. I'm so glad you agree with me.

SharkyOhio wrote:
If you only knew what it's like to hook an 18 lb redfish in 2 feet of water on a 7wt rod...yes I do miss fishing in SE Louisiana.

try a 15-20 lb carp on a 5 weight rod. Or a 48" musky.

Back