handle side of reel

P

Pap

This will be a really ignorant question but I have to ask. For a right-handed fisherman which side of the reel should the handle be to wind the line back on the reel? Is there a right or wrong side?
Pap

There is no right or wrong per se and personal preference trumps all, but most would agree that for a right handed fisherman (who casts with their right hand) having the handle on the left side of the reel for a left hand retrieve works best and is most comfortable. This way you don't have to switch hands after you cast...The rod stays in your right hand and you will use your left hand as your line hand and reel hand when necessary. It is possible you could miss strikes that occur right as the fly hits the water if you are using a right hand retrieve and are employing the switch hands method.

Again, it's all personal preference though. My Dad casts right handed and fishes with the reel set up for a right hand retrieve. I cast right and line/reel left.

Pap wrote:
Is there a right or wrong side?
Pap

There is a right and left side.

LOL

Most right handed fisherman reel with their left hand. This allows the dominate arm to hold the rod, cast, control fish, etc.

Not an ignorant question at all.
As others have pointed out, it's a matter of personal preferance. I've fly fished for over thirty years and am a right handed caster. I prefer to set my reels up for right hand retrieve. This may have been an outgrowth of using bait casting reels as a kid.

Fishidiot wrote:
Not an ignorant question at all.
As others have pointed out, it's a matter of personal preferance. I've fly fished for over thirty years and am a right handed caster. I prefer to set my reels up for right hand retrieve. This may have been an outgrowth of using bait casting reels as a kid.

Kind of funny that you mention that. Spinning rod and fly rod I use my left hand to retrieve. Baitcasting I must use right hand. Neither will work for me the other way.

Pap wrote:
Is there a right or wrong side?

No wrong side.

Tradition dictates you wind with your right hand, which is also for most of us your casting arm.

Logical thinking says you wind with your strong hand, your dominate hand, which is also your casting arm.

Comfort and convience says you wind with your off hand, the one opposite your casting arm.

Pick what you want, if you're able to wind with your strong arm, it is the logical choice. If you don't like it, wind weak hand. I bet the majority of us do.

I am right handed. I learned with left hand retrieve, but have some reels that are unable to be set to LHW. I find RHW awkward and annoying.

Very much appreciate all the responses!
The thing is I have a Pfluger fly reel and unless it is mounted as a right hand retrieve the drag isn’t in effect. And yes now that it is mentioned, long ago when I used a bait casting reel they were right hand wind. I must admit I do prefer a left hand wind when fly fishing but with the Pfluger I guess I’ll be doing the winding with my right hand.
Pap

Pap wrote:
Very much appreciate all the responses!
The thing is I have a Pfluger fly reel and unless it is mounted as a right hand retrieve the drag isn’t in effect.

What model do you have, unless its a 1492, it is easy to change retrieve.

The 1492 is the only model that is not reversable. All other models after 1958 (?) are easily reversable by flipping an internal plate, models prior to this change are reversible with an additional part from Shakespeare or One Pfoot.

The only exceptions are the oldest models from >1938, with clickers and round line guards. If you have one of those, you should sell it to me.

Finally, the 1492 IS reversible, but it requires knocking out the pins, flipping the pawls, and foregoing the line guard. Honestly, its probably more trouble than its worth. Just amuse yourself by thinking about fishing with timeless classics the "proper way."

Gfen;
That’s the one. Has clickers and the round line guards. I use it on an old (1965) Orvis Battenkill rod when I infrequently use that rod. I can’t afford to replace a tip on that rod if one would brake so the rod isn’t used all that much. The one I use it on the most is a glass six foot Fenwick.
Pap

Pap wrote:
Gfen;
That’s the one. Has clickers and the round line guards.

Uhm, yeah...you don't want that old, outdated junk. Allow me to trade you a shiny newish Cabela's LSR for it! I'll even throw in a spare spool!

Seriously, though.. if that's what you've got, you're stuck with right hand retrieve. Enjoy using the reel, depending on its age and condition (are we talking a round guard, clicker 1494 or 1496?!), may fetch a good sum of money. Same for the old glass Fenwick, depending on the model.

If you decide you want to part, let me have first crack. Good luck.

I had to check on the reel. It’s a 1494. The rod is a FF605 and I doubt if it has any value other than to me. I bought the reel new many years ago and it looks good and works well. The fact that I purchased the reel new may give an indication of how old I am. I doubt I’d sell the reel, at my age it is more of a keepsake than anything else. But if I do I’ll certainly keep you in mind I promise. I do have a Fenwick HMG that I lent to my grandson and a couple of Orvis rods (6wt & 3wt.) that are the newer composition along with Orvis reels. Been away for about twelve years from fly fishing (spinal nerve problems) but everything is fine again and I’m back on the water.
Thanks for responding!
Pap

Pap wrote:
I had to check on the reel. It’s a 1494. The rod is a FF605 and I doubt if it has any value other than to me. I bought the reel new many years ago and it looks good and works well. The fact that I purchased the reel new may give an indication of how old I am. I doubt I’d sell the reel, at my age it is more of a keepsake than anything else. But if I do I’ll certainly keep you in mind I promise. I do have a Fenwick HMG that I lent to my grandson and a couple of Orvis rods (6wt & 3wt.) that are the newer composition along with Orvis reels. Been away for about twelve years from fly fishing (spinal nerve problems) but everything is fine again and I’m back on the water.
Thanks for responding!
Pap

How wrong you are, sir. A click and pawl, non-drag 1494 will fetch a tidy sum, as will the FF605. Depending on which Orvis reels (Hardy made CFOs go for princely suns, the BFR CFOs only a tad less).

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to find out the Fenwick, Pfluegar, and if they're clicker CFOs are all worth more than the newer stuff you've got.

FWIW, I'd buy anyone of those things off you right now if you were selling. This isn't an attempt to weasel them out of you, but to tell you that to some people those items are all highly desirous.

Except for my 9 weight rod which is used for salmon and salt water, everything is left retrieve, the 9 weight is right retrieve, because that is the hand that can reel in the fastest.

Tradition dictates you wind with your right hand, which is also for most of us your casting arm.

Although I am a right hand caster, I wind with my right hand also because thats the way I've been taught by my grandfather and thats the way he did it. And his theory behind it(besides tradition, purist, whatever..) is if the handle is on the left side of the reel the line may get tangled with the handle, so thats why he had it on the right side so its out of the way and there is no tangle. And for the most part he just stripped in line to bring in the fish instead of using the reel, so there is no need to switch hands. So when I'm fishing with a 5 wt or less I'll probably have the handle on the right side. If I'm fishing for carp or steelhead or some other big powerful fish I'll have the handle on the left side. Just my opinion..

I'm right hand cast, left hand retrieve all the way. I'd be totally useless trying anything else. I'm not at all ambidextrous, I look like an idiot when I try to do anything opposite handed!!!!!

Thats the way I learned way back when with spinning rods. Now its just muscle memory, I suppose. But I have to admit that does seem more logical to me. Right hand does all the rod holding.

Left or right hand retreive is one of the classic tackle debates, and the older tradition was to wind with the right hand for a right hander. This may very well have been unknowingly rationalized by the fact that reels were only available for right hand wind until the '50's. A fly angler with "good hands" meant you made the switch to the other hand for retreive and got the fish on the reel effortlessly and quickly.

Today there are so many people who set up for winding with the non-dominant hand, that seems to be the new "tradition." Swattie87 explains why, and I would add that my dominant hand is more sensitive and telegraphs more information, such as how much pressure my tippet can take during a fight, than my non-dominant hand.

Pretty cool discussion. Neat to see everyones thought and reasons. Especially cool to see chaz and streamerguy give the exact same reason for doing things exactly the opposite. I'm like jdaddy, lefty all the way until you put a baitcaster in my hands. Tried lefty retrieve bc's, did not want.

Back