Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: handle side of reel

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I'm right hand cast, left hand retrieve all the way. I'd be totally useless trying anything else. I'm not at all ambidextrous, I look like an idiot when I try to do anything opposite handed!!!!!

Thats the way I learned way back when with spinning rods. Now its just muscle memory, I suppose. But I have to admit that does seem more logical to me. Right hand does all the rod holding.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 15:05

From South Central PA
Left or right hand retreive is one of the classic tackle debates, and the older tradition was to wind with the right hand for a right hander. This may very well have been unknowingly rationalized by the fact that reels were only available for right hand wind until the '50's. A fly angler with "good hands" meant you made the switch to the other hand for retreive and got the fish on the reel effortlessly and quickly.

Today there are so many people who set up for winding with the non-dominant hand, that seems to be the new "tradition." Swattie87 explains why, and I would add that my dominant hand is more sensitive and telegraphs more information, such as how much pressure my tippet can take during a fight, than my non-dominant hand.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 7:18

From Altoona/Smoke Run
Pretty cool discussion. Neat to see everyones thought and reasons. Especially cool to see chaz and streamerguy give the exact same reason for doing things exactly the opposite. I'm like jdaddy, lefty all the way until you put a baitcaster in my hands. Tried lefty retrieve bc's, did not want.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 8:53

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com