Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: good selection of Dry Flies

From Pittsburgh
If I were starting out, and someone gave me that fly assortment, I'd be a happy man. It's a good starting point. I would also consider some of the suggestions such as terrestrials and such made by the other posts.
That assortment, along with good presentation will catch most any rising trout you encounter.
You will see your collection grow and change as you move along, but any approach you want to take to get you into the sport is the right approach if you like it!

Posted on: 2010/8/13 19:48

From Mechanicsburg
I am using a 5 wt rod set up. The standard size hook sizes are 14-18. I use a 9' 5x leader and when needed i add on 6x or 7x tippet. that takes me to a size 16-26 hook. What do i need to do if i am going to cast a size 2-8 terrestrial? I did not think i could go to the larger size, just a smaller size from a 5x.

Posted on: 2010/8/15 12:51

From The Hilton
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
A good drift with the wrong fly will still take fish. The right fly with a bad drift seldomly takes fish.

Sight knows whats up!

Here's what I'll tell ya. Whenever you feel like going fishing go to the local fly shop and ask whats hatching , what time they are hatching and for how long the bugs will be around. Then by said flies and go fishing.( Just to add to this you dont need 7 or 8x tippet) If they give you lip, punch them in the head and then proceed to ask the nice gentleman on this website. There are a few pretty knowledgeable guys on this site!

Some fly shops are your friend and would be more then happy to help you.

You could always just pm JayL though he knows everything!

Posted on: 2010/8/15 15:47

From Eastern PA
Here is a good video that Afish put in another thread. Discusses presentation v. selection.

Posted on: 2010/8/15 17:27

From Eastern PA
Quote:
I understand some have different colors and different sizes. Why different colors and sizes i do not understand but it is what it is.

Same reason cats, dogs, humans are different sizes and colors.

Posted on: 2010/8/29 0:36

From Altoona
Take it from someone else new to the sport, this isn't a machine. It's nature. You can be as prepared as possible with every type of fly in your collection and still be missing something.
I tried exactly what you're doing earlier in the season, but it was to no avail. I bought all these flies that basically sit in my fly box because I was throwing sulphurs every night for a month. Then I started nymphing, and I barely touch the dries.
Don't spend the time and money buying all these flies and end up like me and watch them collect dust in your box.

True story, I haven't had to buy any flies for the past couple weeks, so I thought I'd be good for the rest of the season. I hit the Little Juniata last Friday, and white flies were coming off and I had nothing compared to it.

So just take it day by day, week by week. Until you find out where you're headed in this sport, you can't really jump the gun or you'll be wasting your time and money.

Posted on: 2010/8/29 1:12

Suppose it depends on where you plan of fishing- might run into Slate Drakes or Olives in the fall. Probably the next hatches on deck. I like to fish wets or more specifically soft hackles for those hatches. Cooler, rainy days are good.

Posted on: 2010/8/29 12:51

From The "Burgh"
steve,
how long did it take you to type all that?

Posted on: 2010/8/29 18:38

From SEPA
I wouldn't bother with the Royal Coachman and the Royal Wulff. The Wulff floats forever, is easy to gink up, and its wings will last unlike the quill slip wings of the Coachman which'll end up looking like junk after you use it.

The fly I think that no one should ever be without is the Usual. Cheap as dirt to make, hook, thread, and a snowshoe rabbit foot. You'll churn 'em out, they tie to all sorts of sizes, float like stink, gink like a mother, and generally look buggier than a three armed midget.

I believe the original pattern called for cream bunny and orange thread, but you can use any variation you want. Brown, black, dun etc fur over any thread. Mix and match fur, etc.

Posted on: 2010/8/29 23:17

From Eastern PA
I am proud to announce that Steve took his first trout today, a nice little wild bow on Falling Springs none the less. We narrowed down the fly list quite a bit, reviewed the nymph line up and got him lined up the a good fly tier who can get some great high quality flys for the region (clearly not me!).

Posted on: 2010/8/29 23:26

YEA!!!! STEVE!!!!

Gratz on your first fish!!!

Posted on: 2010/8/30 3:21

From Mechanicsburg
Thanks jdaddy for your time. It was a good day and i got to see some new spots to float and sink some flies. Amazing how many spots are so close to my area. Let me know if your going to be in the area for fishing

Posted on: 2010/9/3 23:42

From Eastern PA
You are in the heart of it! If you can regularly catch fish on some of those streams around there, you can catch them anywhere in the country.

BTW, the new Eastern Fly Fishing magazine has a nice article on none other than Falling Spring Branch where you caught your first trout! Check it out. The gentleman I recommended for your fly purchases has one of his patterns in the article, as well as contributing to the overall article.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 23:47

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com