general Emergers

S

steve2u42

If you could carry 3 types of emergers in your all around, general fly box, what styles, would they be and in what size?

Different species have different emerger pattern that may "best" imitate them, but if I had to chose generic styles, three in number, I would tie a Klinkenhammer with a phesant-tail rear and brown and grizzly parachute hackle, sizes 16-14, a dark olive loop-wing CDC emerger in 16-18 and an emergent sparkle pupae in either tan or green 16-14. Oh, I don't do midges.

JackM wrote:
Different species have different emerger pattern that may "best" imitate them, but if I had to chose generic styles, three in number, I would tie a Klinkenhammer with a phesant-tail rear and brown and grizzly parachute hackle, sizes 16-14, a dark olive loop-wing CDC emerger in 16-18 and an emergent sparkle pupae in either tan or green 16-14. Oh, I don't do midges.

This is quite near perfect imo except I would like do them one size lower in the range presented.

^ the klunk is a great fly.

also fish the orvis style sulphur emerger but do not invert the hook.. change the colors up for any mayfly hatch.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=orvis+sulphur+emerger&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=638&tbm=isch&tbnid=mblV1wy_E97SDM:&imgrefurl=http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/orvis_sulphur_emerger.html&docid=3kSXQlh2QitSWM&w=256&h=180&ei=UYZ1TpXxB4Ty0gGI2oTXDQ&zoom=1

JackM wrote:

jdaddy wrote:
This is quite near perfect imo except I would like do them one size lower in the range presented.

+1....great choices.

I used to tie a crap load of different emergers and they all work. Recently though I've been fishing a size 18pt with a cdc loop wing.

I tie a simple EHC on an emerger hook, just with nymph dubbing and no hackle. VERY simple and works on mayflies as well as caddis. I put a few wraps of thread around the hair to get it to stand up a bit more.

-shrug-

The Usual. Its got enough filamentious bits to look emergerish. Or dunnish. Or fluttering caddisish. Its just -ish. The good -ish.

I made fancy parachutes with half brown and half fly colour and half brown and trailing shucks, etc etc etc. Doesn't really seem to be all that much more effective. Maybe I'm lazy, and a bad fisherman, or maybe I just don't profess to worry about it and it magically all falls into place. Its just fishing. Fish whatever fly you've got with some passion.

Fish whatever fly you've got with some passion. ....

or a redworm.

Finished that for ya'

night crawlers. go big or go home!

lol~we needed that.

Back