fly fishing around pittsburgh

fishingnoob

fishingnoob

Hey guys. Next week I'm going to be down in Carnegie outside of Pittsburgh for 3 weeks for my work and since I'm going to be put up in a hotel I figured I would take my rod along and try the streams. However I'm unfamiliar with the area and don't know what streams are the best for this time of year. I'm going to do some searching but I figured I would also ask on here.

I've read that you can fish at river side park up from PNC park as well as from The Point for smallmouth bass. Has anyone fly fished here before?

I do not any thing about the area, but this would be a great start, if you missed it on the home page. There a bunch of awesome links on the upper right corner with goodies like a stream map, and a hatch chart. That should be a good start to an after work adventure... Just make it to bed some time that night... Good luck.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=144

looks like whiskey run will be the place to go to...its only a few minutes from where ill be working

Ha ha there for three weeks I'd end uP covering them all with no fam to eat up my evening time!

haha true DJ but I work from 8am-4pm so I only have a few hours till sundown...and in actuality my shitty company only lets me stay 4 nights at the hotel so its back home on weekends...typical

Sounds about right, and they make you pay for fuel? But hey, look at the bright side you do get to fish some new waters.

Hey don't get too excited. I grew up in Kerneggie. There are no trout within dozens of miles. And those are stocked so this time of year they are absent as well.

Its basically a bunch of drainage ditches suffering from pollution and AMD.

Your best bet is going to be the main stem of Chartiers Creek. It may ave a few SMB and carp or a few walleye/saugeyes. Try around the Carnegie mall and up around heidelberg if you have wheels.

I have not fished it in many years but have heard rumblings about it.

Now Whiskey Run.....Carnegie has the most bars per capita as well as churches. :-D

If you have a strong enough set up carp at a great time, but be sure to bring a net. Get a crawfish looking fly slow jig on the bottom n hold on for a great fight!

Back