flies?

U

UraFish

Please tell me some good all around flies that will give me a good shot of hooking up when my rod comes in the mail.... prefer dry flies to start! thanks

Thats a very difficult question, without knowing where and when.

But, as far as dry flies, if you don't want to jump into the match the hatch thing right away, there are some "jack of all trades" flies.

Mayflies: A Parachute Adams is a reasonable representation of most species, as well as several life stages (can be used as emerger, dun, or spinner). Get sizes 12-18, multiples in each size.

Caddis: A little trickier, as IMO, most caddis species look awfully similar, but the difference between patterns is how they float, i.e. whether you're targeting emergers or the egg layers. I'd say go with 2 patterns here. Elk Hair Caddis - floats high and good for egg layers. CDC Caddis - I like the type without any deer hair, just a puff of CDC as the wing material, no hackle, as in the picture below. Use during hatches. Both varieties look for a tan body in sizes 14-18, multiples in each size.

And there you have it. 3 patterns (though multiple sizes is a must), and I think you could handle 90% of the topwater action in our state. Keep in mind that in just about every case, I think a more exact match for the species and life stage would outproduce these general flies, but by going generalist there has to be some understanding that you're sacrificing effectiveness for simpleness.

Attachments

• CDC_Caddis.jpg
    CDC_Caddis.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 5
For dry flies I agree with Pcray above. I would add a foam beetle and an ant to your dry fly selection. Good luck.

And as far as underneath, you could go a long way with just these:

Pheasant Tail - represent all mayfly nymphs. Sizes 12-18.
Caddis pupa - represent all caddis pupa, tan. Sizes 12-18
Wooly bugger - all round streamer type pattern. Choose 1 or more of olive, brown, and black.

Don't forget terrestrial, along with the rest of selections!

PaulG

I think you could handle 90% of the topwater action in our state.

Don't forget terrestrial

And there's 8% of the other 10%, lol. I don't disagree, but chose not to get him in that deep. Cause then you have ants, beetles, hoppers, green weenies, and the whole bit. To cover terrestrials, there's no one pattern that can even attempt to cover it all, IMO, and you end up tripling the number of patterns for only 10% more of the fishing. You could go even deeper, too, even within the categories above. For instance, I don't think my Adams suggestion for mayfly can adequately cover Green Drakes or Tricos, hence my assertion that the Adams will cover "most" species.

If I were to choose a terrestrial, though, it'd be a dry black ant, maybe a 16 or 18.

Don't forget terrestrial

Tell'em Paul! Just tie that beetle on. No one else need apply. :)

On top I would feel confident I can catch a whole bunch of trout with 6 dry fly patterns in a few sizes:

Beetle
Ant
Adams (to cover dark colored mayflies)
Sulphur or Cahill pattern (to cover light colored mayflies)
Light Elk Hair Caddis (or other down-wing type fly)
Dark Elk hair caddis (or other down-wing type fly)

Many beginners just buy flies in one size (usually big!). Carried in various sizes, these flies will catch fish in most any situation.

In the old adage for fly selection, the order of importance is:

1. Size
2. Form
3. Color

In the above selection of flies, if carried in various sizes, the big four of insects would be covered.

1. Terrestrials - the most common insects are beetles and ants
2. Mayflies - Light and Dark, big and small species covered with the Adams and Sulphur
3. Caddisflies - Down-wing Caddis covers light and dark, big and small
4. Stoneflies - Down-wing caddis also a passable imitation for stoneflies in light and dark patterns

Edit: To add to the above, "matching the hatch" becomes as simple as identifying the type of insect on the water (terrestrial, mayfly, caddis, or stonefly), matching the size, and determining if it's light or dark. No real need to ID the species at all. This "near enough" approach works most of the time.

Also, drifting something different, like a ant or beetle over rising fish works more times than not.

If you plan on chasing hatches then rusty spinners in sizes 10-18 are a must.

Now we're getting more and more exact. This process never ends, till we end up with a list of 200 different patterns that not a single more experienced angler carries all of, lol...

Seriously, if you want to stay a generalist, go with some of the original suggestions and stick with it. If you see yourself getting to the point where you're gonna be semi-specific, then no reason not to start your collection now. Just do it a step at a time, don't go out and buy 1000 flies up front. The way you do that is ask what you should have for a specific time frame on a specific stream (or area if you don't want to give away stream names on a public message board). Then just get those flies in preparation for the trip. If the next trip is halfway across the state or a month later, the suggestions may be different, and you get those. After a year or two you'll have pretty much what you'll need for the streams you fish (which will be different than what others need for the streams they fish). Then you'll just be replacing what you use and lose...

Because none of us fish everywhere and all year long, none of us really need all the possibilities, and the specific method can end up with just as few flies to buy as the generalist approach. For instance, to cover mayflies, I said Parachute Adams in sizes 12-18, which is 4 different varieties, really, and even then it doesn't quite cover everything. But if on your streams, the only mayflies you ever see are size 16 sulfurs and size 24 tricos, then just get those. Thats only 2 varieties, half of what you needed with the generalist approach, and they're a better and more exact match, and you aren't missing anything you need (whereas you'd have been screwed on the tricos with the generalist approach).

okay guys so heres the deal.... I do want to start to try to match the hatch... what im saying is i want some ideas of general flies that could give me a chance of a strike when im down at the creek lookin like a jacka** learning how to operate the flippin rod! i am not saying i just want to fish general flies, i want general flies to try to build confidence and all that jazz! haha... but seriously fellas thank you so much for giving up some free time to help the greenhorn!!!!!! CHEERS!

Well, if you want stuff for underneath, the good old woolly bugger is nearly always at least a decent choice and gives you a good chance at catching a few fish.

But dry flies, rising fish usually happens when there's bugs for the fish to rise for, and the fly should look reasonably similar to whatever they are taking. We just can't tell you what they'll be rising to without knowing more info about when and where. So we're not being stingy, we truly can't make a good recommendation without more info.

What does reasonably similar mean? Afish's list of 1. size, 2. form, and 3. color, in that order, is a great guide. Get the size about right, and you're in the game. Get the size and form right, and you've probably got a pretty good imitation that'll work great most of the time. By form, we mean is it a thick fly, are the wings in the right proportions and in the right places, is it where it needs to be (on the surface, in the surface film, just under the surface, etc.)?? Get size, form, and color right, and well, you have a dang near perfect imitation, the rest is up to you and your presentation skills.

Unless of course, you're after natives in small freestone streams. Then forget all this crap, get yourself some high floatin, highly visible (to you) Adams or Wulffs, keep your distance, stay low, and have at it.

Back