Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: fist time fishing today...not as easy as it looks...

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I always tell beginners 10 and 12, not 10 and 2. I'm sure "correct" is farther back than 12. But virtually every beginner is actually going farther back than they intend to.

Coming from spinning gear, fly casting seems like a bunch of contradictions. Harder, but slower. Accelerate to a stop. Jeesh. Just takes muscle memory.

But yeah, come back hard accelerating the whole way, stop high, wait longer than you think you should, come forward hard accelerating the whole way, stop high, wait longer than you think you should, drop the rod.

Videos help.

Posted on: 6/11 20:41

Congratulations on your first fish!

I don't see a picture.

To answer your question, dry fly floatant. I mostly use Gink, but since I've started tying some CDC flies, I need to get Frog's Fanny as well.

Posted on: 6/11 22:17
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Quote:
I mostly use Gink, but since I've started tying some CDC flies, I need to get Frog's Fanny as well.

Can I find this at like Dicks Sporting goods or should I order it off amazon.

And I found out my phones picture sizes are too large to upload.

Posted on: 6/12 7:54

Here we go. I googled how to shrink the file size. Shes a bute huh!!??

Attach file:

jpg  2014-06-11 19.37.46_resized_2.jpg (91.54 KB)
9874_539997aedddf9.jpg 270X480 px

Posted on: 6/12 8:08

From Northern VA
Hey that's great for a first fly rod fish! I think my first 20 or so were all bluegills.

Posted on: 6/12 10:54

That's a nice first fish, BRC.

I don't know if Dick's sells Gink. I'm going to assume that it does not and it would be an item you'd have to pick up at a fly shop or online.

Posted on: 6/12 11:59
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Lansdale
Go to an archery shop and get fletch-dry. Same stuff but slightly cheaper than Frog's Fanny: $6.50 per ounce. Also, Fumed Silica can be bought online for $15.00 per quart.

Posted on: 6/12 12:05

I found some Gink at dicks. Also picked up a fly box and a few bugs. Figured I better start looking official. I was keeping my flies in a case I use for archery broadheads at first.

With all the rain we go hammered with may have to stay away from the D this weekend. I might try a little trout fishin even tho my rods way too heavy. I got some small 2x I can tie to my leader I guess and give it a shot.

Is there any kind of cheapo 4wt combos I can find for crashin creeks and kayaks. I saw shakespeare sells a microlite for 15 bucks 7'6" 4wt. But how about the spool and line? If I can find a lightweight rig I could drop in a lake from a kayak and not care that would be ideal.

Posted on: 6/13 22:11

From Lycoming county
2x tipper is very heavy for trout, unless your throwing huge streamers for big browns... If your fishing dry flies 4x gives you a much better presentation. I know gander mtn, cabelas, and bass pro all sell cheaper rod/ reel combos that are very reasonable priced say around $100-150. And for starters they will get the job done.

Posted on: 6/14 7:30

From Dauphin PA
BRC,
A real easy technique for beginning fly fishing with weighted flies is the water haul. The one thing I'll suggest is that you don't try rollcasting with a Clouser minnow or water hauling with one where the fly is pulled back in the direction of your face. If you try that and fail, you're going to be unhooking yourself.

Until you get a few more outings under your belt, water hauling at a 45 degrees angle will allow you to safely get the fly out a good distance. Make sure your line is tight, start to accelerate in the direction you want to cast. If you do it right, the cast will want to take a bunch of line along for the ride. You can easily get it ou there 30, 40 feet or more. It will help you reduce the knots in the leader or snapping off flies. You can water haul and shoot line, haul back to where you started shooting more line and the present and shoot more line. Just remember it's like a rollcast and neither will work without having tension / loading the line PRIOR to attempting the cast.

What part of the state are you in? If it's doable, I'll try to get some on water time with ya..

How to Fly Fish: How to Make a Water Haul Cast:
http://youtu.be/ZfPKL1jZDAQ

Posted on: 6/17 20:38

Thanks,

These orvis videos help a lot. I watch as many as I can find. I actually have been doing this "water haul" cast without knowing it. While trout fishing drifting dries.

I live near easton pa. I would be definitely interested in some water time. I dont have a problem makin a drive either. Biggest issue now is that I have A LOT of weddings this year takin up my weekend time.

Posted on: 6/18 21:51

I'm near Harrisburg. Maybe meet somewhere in the middle one Saturday. Don't envy you, a lot of weddings can get kind of expensive too. Plenty of season left.

Posted on: 6/18 22:17

Yup. I actually drive past harrisburg on occasion i'm sure we could work something out

Posted on: 6/18 22:32

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com